Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I am reasking! I wanted a 243, found a 270 on sale :'(
after remounting scope, shot my 1st ever, 1 hole, 3 shot group at 100 yds! ;D

now the problem, I am a only occasional hunter, in SC and I am infatuated with the 243 (never had one)
The 270 stands in corner very well but I wanted a 243.
I don't need either.
my 30-30 got my deer last year. :eek:
What can I do? ???

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Send me the 30-30 ;D...then you'll need the 270 or the 243. ::)

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Buy a .243 and make yerself happy ;D

I took a deer this past season with a .243... killed it just as quick as my .35Rem and .300Sav :eek:

·
Super Moderator
15,957 Posts
I'm an occasional hunter ....3 times a year, 4 days in October, 10 days in November & 4 days in December, :D ;) and I try to get to the range often if I can. The answer to your problem is keep your eyes and ears open, someone or somewhere is your .243 at a good price..of course buy the .243 and keep the .270, it too is an awesome caliber! Mr fixit

·
Registered
25 Posts
Guns to me are an INVESTMENT! I buy when I feel I can afford it. I seldom buy a gun that I cant turn around and sell the following week and make more than what I paid for it. Occasionally I become emotionally attached and refuse to sell guns, however only about half of my guns fall into that catagory. My wife used to balk when I brought a new gun to the house, however, after I sold a few and always turned a bit of a profit, she has learned to trust my judgement on when to buy and when to sell.

If you want it, buy it if you can afford it. Guns will only continue to increase in value when they are properly cared for!

·
Registered
4 Posts
otr1952 said:

now the problem, I am a only occasional hunter, in SC and I am infatuated with the 243 (never had one)
The 270 stands in corner very well but I wanted a 243.
I don't need either.
my 30-30 got my deer last year. :eek:
What can I do? ???
Hahaha! That's easy...sell me the 270!

·
Registered
386 Posts
My suggestion is if you don't want to spend more money buying another rifle then try to trade somebody else straight up. You might get lucky and it couldn't hurt to try a post in the classified section. I wouldn't have a problem trading another member if they had what I wanted. I trust all of these fellas. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
13,306 Posts
otr1952 said:
Keep it and get the .243!
Trading or selling a rifle that shoots one hole groups for one that you don't know how it shoots is something that could cause earth shaking regret.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I hate the .243. My inlaws swear by them and I've seen too many instances that would have resulted in a clean kill with a 270 or '06 and the .243 turns the situation into an ordeal. They seem to kill like lightning about half the time. I'd rather have more uniform results. The .243 is a nice varmint round though.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Bull Moose375 said:
I hate the .243. My inlaws swear by them and I've seen too many instances that would have resulted in a clean kill with a 270 or '06 and the .243 turns the situation into an ordeal. They seem to kill like lightning about half the time. I'd rather have more uniform results. The .243 is a nice varmint round though.
Not trying to start a arguement here, but I'd rather see the following: #1. A person who could shoot a smaller caliber accurately, than a magnum flinching gut shot. #2. A deer shot with a .243, than a deer shot with a bow & arrow. #3. Not everybody hunts moose, elk, mule deer, the .243 is plenty big where I live at. Just have to use a good bullet used for medium game and not a varmit bullet. I do agree that there is a certain point that a person should know their rifles abilities and make the right choices though. Again don't read this the wrong way it's not a attack on you, I'm just saying that it might be a fine choice for this fella.

·
Registered
78 Posts
.243 will give you more options for varmint and predator hunting than the 270 win and will kill deer just as dead as anything else out there. I'd only say get the 270 if you have plans for an elk hunt in the future.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Bull Moose375 said:
I can see where not having the right boolit for the game at hand would cause an injured animal instead of a DRT. The deer I took last season with a .243 had a 100gr pointed soft point.... left a nickel sized exit wound. I'll admit I whacked it in the melon, but that little boolit did a lot damage. I won't hesitate to take a boiler room or double lung shot in the future with it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Buy a xs7 in 243 it's only $300 or so.
If you put a hole in the vitals critters tip over! Sometimes DRT but normally not far.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Earlier in the thread I was being humorous, but the truth of the matter is there is nothing wrong with the .243 for deer hunting. Plus you will get more use out of the smaller caliber because you will want to shoot it more often. (Varmints)

My one caution would be try to only shoot deer that are calm and unaware of your activity. Once the deer become alert and the adrenaline is pumping the .243 becomes iffy unless you hit the neck or spine. I've seen 'em go a long way after taking a hit with a .243....I've also seen 'em DRT with a good neck shot.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My aversion to the .243 has nothing to do with my own personal experience. I've never shot anything bigger than a groundhog with a .243. I just haven't been impressed with the results of people I've hunted with and know of who use .243's. Maybe if I'd use it I'd love it but I can't think of a reason in the world to leave a .270 in the cabinet and take a .243 out instead.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I've never shot the 243 or the 270 but the stories of lost deer that I've heard while at the registration station or the processor have more often been associated with the 243. That may be because it's so popular but then so is the 30-30. For that reason I chose the 270 when I saw a deal on an X rifle. I have yet to shoot it but I figured that with 100 grain bullets it would make a fine varmit gun too.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'll take a .25-06 over a .243 every day of the week. Even for varmints.

·
Registered
28 Posts
you're gonna need that .243, so you might as well relinquish the notion that you can do without it...if you think about it, it makes perfect sense; you'll have a gun with a .243 diameter bullet, one with a .277 diameter bullet, one with a .308 diameter bullet...see the trend here, one rifle for every .030 of bullet diameter, so naturally after the .243 you will need a .338, then a 9.3 or .375 and so on. ;D

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Did ya get your .243 yet? ;D ;D ;D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts