Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been thinkin of gettin a 40 cal. and was looking at the XD-M compact with the 3.8" barrel. This would be a self defence gun only for CC for my wife. I have the XD in 45, and I like that, but she does not like it because of the recoil. I have been lookin at the XD-M but they are more $$$ than the XD, so are they worth it. I mean for a self defence gun I don't need 1 moa accuracy at 100yds, I just need it to go bang every time I pull the trigger. Opinions on them are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
I don't own an XD-M but have shot several owned by students. Good, solid slug-launchers and I have yet to see one that isn't as accurate as the shooter.

The first one I shot was a full-size .40 and my novice student was impressed when I unloaded a full magazine onto the miniature silhouette, up in the corner of the target. He tightened his groups up after that. ;D

The 3.8s have noticeably more muzzle flip but are equally accurate, as are the sub-compacts (though I've only shot the 9mm of those).

Perhaps it is familiarity but I prefer the standard XD9 grip over the XD-M 9/.40 but in the .45s the XD-M has a better grip...for me.

Jon

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
I have an XD-9 with the 4" barrel. I also have an XDm-40 with the 4.5" barrel. The trigger in the XDm is slightly better than the XD, but not by much. The match grade barrel on the XDm doesn't produce significantly better accuracy than the "plain, old" barrel on the XD. About the only noticeable difference in the two is that the XDm has a comparably higher mag capacity than the XD (relative to calibers) and the interchangeable grip backstrap (which I do like). My son has an XD .45 with the 5" barrel, and he likes it, but I wouldn't try to carry that thing concealed -- it is big and heavy. Will say that it is built well and has digested everything we've thrown through it so far.

Both of mine are reasonably accurate -- full mags into 2" at 25 yards is easily doable, and they are both solid & reliably consistent regardless of what loads we are shooting. The XD-9 is the only handgun I have that my Daughter really likes to shoot (particularly if I am paying for the ammo). ;) ;D

If purchasing new, I would not pay the additional money for an XDm vs. the XD. Just my $0.02. I wouldn't have the XDm at all, if it weren't for having come across a used one that was less money than an XD is new. As far as plastic guns go (expect Roe to flame me, any minute now), I would get a Springfield XD over a Glock, anyday. But I still like my HK USP .40 as well. Other than the HK or the XD's, I would likely not purchase another plastic gun.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
As the others have said, especially DWB, there isn't alot of difference between the two.

The XD(m) has the advantage of 16rnds vs 12 in 40S&W (+1 for both). Mags for the XD(m) are only about $5 more per mag. The trigger difference is almost not noticable between my worn-in XD and an (m). The match barrel on something already more accurate than most shooters doesn't really weigh in. The last major difference is that when you engage takedown lever, the XD(m) actually decocks the gun instead of having to pull the trigger. Nice touch.

I love my XD-40 and won't be getting rid of it anytime soon. That said, I'm presently using a XD(m) Three Eight in 9mm for competition and have finally hit High Master with it. Some (m)'s seem to have sharper grip textures, but some seem smoother. I don't know if a (m) would be worth the extra $150+ premium. Being girlie handed myself, I'm not sure your wife would enjoy the snappy recoil of the 40 in a Three Eight sized gun. The (m)'s grip is also a bit LONGER with makes on-body CCW a bit more problematical.

I'd recommend the 3" or 4" XD in 9mm for the wife, or maybe the new XD(m) compact in 9mm again. Unless she plans to practice monthly or so and get quality trianing, the 40 might end up being too much.

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts
If the recoil of the 45 is too much for her...the 40 probably will be too.

I'm all for the bigger calibers...if they made a concealable 50 AE, I'd carry it :D, but as the old saying goes...a hit with a 22 is better than a miss with a 44.

I worked my wife up to the 45acp...took about 4 years. First was 380, then 9mm, borrowed her brothers 40, then she bought the XD 45c herself. I loaded her a bunch of ammo (1,000 rounds...not really soft, but not like my loads either) and just let her have at it with those until they were gone...when they were gone, I didn't tell her...I just loaded her up with my loads (not +P, but near max)...she never even noticed the difference. (kind of a mind game)

Then one day, she finally told me she was ready to start shooting my loads...I told her she had been shooting them for several months ;D

Now...she is giving me hell, because hers (XD 45c) is bigger than mine (G36) :-[

Everybody is an individual though...if your wife doesn't want recoil, it may be best to start at 9mm and work up (I don't trust the 380 as a defense weapon)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had an XD-M9 and it was a fine gun. I sold it in favor of an XD-45 with the thumb safety (an excellent pistol). If this is for your missus, you may want to lookat an XD9. I also have the XD9 Subcompact. Great little guns, shoots like a larger pistol. The typical micro-pistols are no fun to shoot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got the 4.5" XDM in .40 S&W. Its been a great gun so far. Put around 600 rounds through it of mainly BVAC 165 FMJ factory reloads(half a dozen different brass brands), not one malfunction yet. I went for it over an XD, Glock, SR40, etc because it felt the best in my hand, I'm sure any of them would have been a fine gun.

No experience with the XD or with the Compact model of XDM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts