Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
X7VH problem... is this the "new" Marlin?

Well, my X7VH (XS7 heavy barrel .308) arrived this week, which made it a good week. I went down to the shop to pick it up and things went downhill from there. The gun was worn where the bolt slides into the action. It didn't look new. I took the bolt out of the box and... it was rusted, dirty, and very scratched. Keep in mind, I had ordered and paid for a NEW gun. Needless to say I was surprised and more than a little frustrated. The bolt looked as if someone had used the gun in the rain, dropped the bolt on the ground, and put it back with no cleaning whatsoever. Even had it been a used bolt, it was in terrible shape.

Fortunately, I had not done the transfer (ALWAYS check the gun before accepting the transfer). The gun was from Bud's. They are doing an o.k. job of making it right. My question is: who dropped the ball? Did the gun go into the box in this state at the Remlin factory, or was it opened/used/abused in a wholesale warehouse?

I did buy the gun sight unseen; I knew it was a risk, especially with the new Marlin establishment, but I've never had a problem with an online order before.

Thoughts? I still haven't decided on a replacement or a refund. Can't find one locally or that would be problem solved. I've seen lots of great reports on new XS7's; perhaps I should consider the standard barrel. Anyone else with one of the new heavy barreled X7's care to chime in?

Thanks!

Reactions: vczar1

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: X7VH problem... is this the "new" Marlin?

I picked up my X7VH last Thursday. The bolt was rusted too, but some fine grit sand paper and some steel wool and now is as smooth as silk. Another problem was that the front take down screw was too long where I couldn't get the bolt to close. I called Marlin and they are sending a replacement screw. It definitely left a bad taste in my mouth but after shooting it and getting moa groups, I feel a lot better. The LGS that sold it to me felt bad and instead of sending it back, they just sold it to me for what their cost was ;D.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts

Hi essar9,
It is good to see some dealers have a conscience. Or maybe he did not want to get stuck with it. But seriously how do brand spankin' new rifles still in box end up with rusted bolts. I am starting to think Remlin are sending their employees to the Stevie Wonder School of Gunsmithing. Are they even being checked these days?

Reactions: Click Click Boom

·
Registered
2,812 Posts

I'm sorry to hear the bolt guns are having problems as well. Marlins are definitely a used only proposition for me. :(

·
Registered
2,943 Posts

Im sad to hear of these accounts. The management is extremely poor.

I am interested in the varmint barrel Marlins myself, but sending even one red cent to Cerebus is rewarding their bad attitude/behavior in my opinion. I do not think that the Marlin name and their products will return to the level of quality we expect if they (Marlin/Remington/Cerebus) dont deal with the fact that they have a problem. But then again, I think of what they did to the Marlin employees and I think they can never fix that. So I guess they will ever see my money. I am one American that still thinks employee relations matter.

·
Registered
240 Posts

Mega mergers suck. One day there will be only one gun maker until they are eliminated by government and lawyers.

·
Registered
242 Posts

moofy07 said:
Hi essar9,
It is good to see some dealers have a conscience. Or maybe he did not want to get stuck with it. But seriously how do brand spankin' new rifles still in box end up with rusted bolts. I am starting to think Remlin are sending their employees to the Stevie Wonder School of Gunsmithing. Are they even being checked these days?
A product is only as good as the people that back it!

·
Registered
79 Posts

My bolt came the same way too, discolored and rusted a little. I posted a thread last week about this very same issue.

I bought the rifle from Buds as well. Mine is a Laminate model in 30-06. I have not yet shot it, but I might this coming Friday. Mine seems to be a Marlin made gun, "JM" stamped barrel and "91" serial. I assume it is one of the last ones to leave the Marlin factory. Anyways, I took out some steel wool and worked on the bolt. It is looking a lot better now.

I might call Marlin to see if they can replace the bolt entirely.

·
Registered
242 Posts

It's a bad deal that people have to touch up their new gun.

·
Registered
242 Posts

GreenMachine said:
But people will still keep buying them. That is one problem.
Bingo, so where's the incentive to

·
Registered
1 Posts

I just got mine yesterday... same thing with the bolt. However, it is such a small amount... two swipes with the 1000 grit and it was gone. Some people buy Nagant or other used beat up rifles and they clean them, polish, paint, accessorize them well beyond the price point for this marlin that has unbelievable cannon like barrel, accu trigger and really soft butt pad.
The more noticeable problem that I see is the hollow stock that you can squeeze with one hand.
Bottom line, it looks great and feels like a quality product that should cost at least 700-800 bucks.
I can't wait to zero it in.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Ditto... mine had a little rust on bolt, but it cleaned right up and seems to be shooting fine. Haven't noticed any mechanical problems... yet. *knock on wood

·
Registered
16 Posts

Got my X7VH .22-250 today. No rust but plenty of Black Overrun on the Silver of the Bolt from the flutes. 5 minutes or so with "Gray" Ultra Fine Scotch-Brite followed by "White" Cleaning / Polishing Scotch-Brite & it looks like it has been Electropolished. This is really a Heavy Barrel; I think my next project will be to Flute it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

billyboyloyd- right. I'm gonna take all of the black paint off. It'll look so much better. How will you go about fluting the barrel?

·
Registered
16 Posts

gruvmann, I only removed the black from the silver portion of the bolt not from the individual flutes. As far as fluting the barrel; remove the barrel & machine (6) flutes at 12, 2, 4, 6, 8 & 10 O'Clock to reduce weight & aid in cooling.

·
Registered
19 Posts

So, I picked up my second Marlin XS7 the other day, a 308 heavy barrel to go along with my 7-08. Bolt with the X7VH was as reported by others: rust. There were two large rust marks that were shallow and contained, I noticed that the bubble wrap bag that the bolt was shipped in had rust stains as well. Again, as others have done, fine sandpaper solved my problem. Yes, there was some extra black where it should have been shinny too...

My barrel is stamped North Haven, CT on the left, REP on the right. What this tells me is that there were a bunch of parts produced in CT, then shipped to KY to be assembled. That seems to make sense that if a bolt was put together, placed in a plastic bag and left there for a year plus until coming to me. I don't know that this is the case, just saying that it would make sense.

With the weight of the barrel and the light stock, the point of balance on this rifle does make it seem like you are holding a cannon when in one hand, less so when shouldering. One thing that is a major difference is the two forward upward pressure points in the stock's barrel channel. They aren't there on the X7VH stock. The X7VH stock's "block" in the middle of the channel up front (where the front swivel stud screws into. It's the same location as the sporter barrel) is what the barrel rests directly on. Also, the barrel and stock show marks of full contact at the entire leading edge of the stock. Free floating the sporter barrel was a matter of shaving off the plastic tabs. Not so with the X7VH stock. I have yet to even sight in this rifle so will not speculate on whether this is necessary or not, but if I feel it is, it will probably require all sorts of sorcery with the pillars and new glass bedding or shave the stock to the point where it looks even uglier. Time will tell...

Here is a photo of what my new bolt looked like out of the box, with the rust spots showing, and the bag rust visible as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Marlin X7VH

hy everyone ! i am from Slovakia and i am waiting for a marlin X7VH in 308 cal. it sould come next week and i hope it come without rust...i will put here some foto when it come. i think i will try use marlin for a long range shooting. my friends use remington 700 but i have not a lot of money for it. so i will write a report about marlin X7VH and 1000m shooting. first i need to do bedding and free floding barrel. my setup will be marlin x7vh falcon meneanc 5,5-25x56 , leupold scope mounts and harrys bipod and some reloaded amo (lapua cartrige and lapua scenar 10g bullet. can someone help me with my question? i would like to know what is the barrel material ?
(i know my English is terrible)

thank you.
Martin

·
Registered
116 Posts
Maybe why there was rusted bolts, could be caused by humidity/moisture in the gun shop or factory. That is what it sounds like to me. They say Flitz metal polish does wonder on rusted parts that is not blued or painted plus helps smoothin it and help makin it rust resistant.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts