Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here, first post.

I'm looking at what is listed as a X7 in 223, Marlin 70950. (gallery of guns).
This is the 22" barrel length version. They also have a 26" heavy barrel available, Marlin 70954.

My questions are, is the 22" barrel considered to be a "heavy" barrel ?
If not, does a heavy barrel make a difference in this caliber, 223 ?

thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have heavy barrels that dont shoot as well as the pencil barrels i have on other guns. I try to think more along the lines of what i will be using it for. Hauling a 26" heavy barrel through brush could be a chore. I have the x7 in 25 06 with 22" barrel. It still looks pretty heavy, but not sold as such. I love the gun though. 223 is alot of fun!

·
Registered
81 Posts
what dd just typed.

barrel length and quality aside, a heavier barrel should allow for more consistency during consecutive strings of shots fired as it's mass handles/dissapates the heat better. proper barrel fluting can also add to the heat sink effect. the pencil thin shorter sporter type barrels can be just as accurate as a longer hefty bull barrel, but more than likely for less number of consecutive rounds fired. as always, ymmv.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I do a lot of bench shooting have the x7vh in 22-250 223 and 308 they are extremely accurate but way to heavy for a hunting walking type of rifle. If using for hunting I would go with the thin barrel. Also have the x7 in 243in thin barrel for my walking rifle.

·
Registered
81 Posts
exactly. i use an RAR in .243win for woods walking/hunting. the xs7vh in .308win is for stationary kinda shootin'.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts