Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been lurking here for quite a while and have never bothered to register. I found one of these threads on this site last year and it gave me a project for this after hunting season, before I need to be ready to guard crops.

Little history about the gun before we get started. I bought Hillary last year around September. I need to be able to hit a 250yard shot to help my farming neighbor protect his field and the Marlin Lever Action 30/30 that I sold just today wasn't quite getting the job done. I'm sure it was more in the shooter than the gun, but we all know our limits on our weapons and 250 for a 30/30 was outside of my skill for a safe and clean shoulder/kill shot. So I went to my local gun store and picked up the X7. I knew what I wanted when I walked into the store as I love Marlin and had done all the research (some here in fact) prior to going. Of coarse as I was asking about his stock, he tried to sell me on a Savage (BOOOOOOOooooooOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Ok, they are good guns, but I have a Marlin 35 for goodness sakes, I'm kinda biased.) So I picked up Hillary and fitted her with the beautiful Nikon glass in my signature. Luckily for me this was just before hunting season started here in Southwest GA so I was able to get her sighted and and put about 40 rounds through her before season launched. I'm fortunate enough to live in the middle of nowhere. I have a few hundred acre farm behind and one side of me (243 yards to the treeline) and a 60 acre partially cleared wooded property on my other side with a nice creek running through it. Unfortunately we didn't see any bucks in our time in the stand this year, but the freezer is not empty as Hillary scored two perfect kill shots on larger sized does. The kinda of shot where you pull the trigger and the animal hits the ground (there is no worse feeling for me then wounding one and not killing it immediately).

Well right as season was wrapping up, 3 days left in fact we had a major storm roll through. I went out the next day to put out corn for the final day of the season to discover my deer stand fell victim to the 50+ MPH wind gusts. My hunting for the year was done. To make matters worse, when I returned to the house with Hillary on the gun rack on my four wheeler, I discovered that my starter had frozen up. So I went to work tearing apart and rebuilding the starter and when I was done for the evening went inside...without Hillary. It rained for the next two days, and even though my 4 wheeler sits into the carport the wind allowed water to get on the barrel. As I went outside to go to my vehicle the next day I had discovered my mistake. There was poor Hillary, sitting in the gun rack where I left here, with fresh rust growing on the beautiful blued barrel. :shot:

At this point I had to break the gun down and use a reconditioning scuff pad to remove all of the rust from the barrel (similar to 0000 steel wool but a little different, got it from some guy who restores antiques). It worked well and removed the rust, but this added another layer of work to my current project. I was now going to have to repaint the barrel as well.

So here we are 3 months later and it's time. I'm sorry for not having pictures of the rust before and after, but it wasn't exactly the first thing on my mind when I found it. The rest of this paint job will include pictures along the way. :biggrin: Hillary will be getting a camo style paint job and a new black painted barrel. I'm not painting my Nikon because well...yeah not going to risk it. This will be my first adventure in doing this so follow along with me while I try to perform what I learned on these very forums. My color choices were determined by my hunting background which tens to be heavy oak/pine.

Materials List:
320 grit Sand Paper
1 Utility Knife
3 Pack Blue Painters Tape
1 can Rust-Oleum Specialty High Heat (resists heat up to 1200 degress. We'll see I guess.)
1 can Rust-Oleum Universal Satin Espresso Brown (base)
1 can Krylon Fusion Satin Hunter Green
1 can Krylon Fusion Satin Burnt Orange
1 can Krylon Fusion Satin Black
1 can Krylon Fusion Clear, UV Protection.

1st Step Break the gun down and sand the stock. So here she is all sanded down. Next step, onto taping. I'll update more later.

O3jOEev.jpg

Reactions: camorob and oleroy

·
Registered
11,566 Posts
:congrats:Looks good so far!! & Welcome from Arkansas

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so first things first, I found the old article that I read that gave me this idea, so shoutout to gruvmann for his article here: http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/m...-rifles/75762-xs7vh-camo-paint-step-step.html

So the first thing I had to do was tape up the barrel and ensure no paint was going to get inside. I cut up an old t-shirt and shoved pieces into both ends. Next I had to tape the top that is usually where the pin is visible. Following that I stuffed more t-shirt inside to ensure I had a firm enough fit to not allow mist in through the screw holes. After that it was just a matter of taping off the trigger mechanism, which was trickier then you might think. Once all that was done it was time for some black paint.

tll4i53.jpg

Pay no attention to the expended shell is the truck bed :p .

Next it was onto the base coat of the stock. For this I string some 10lbs test fishing line through the hole where the trigger mechanism screws into and tied it to a tree outside. Two solid coats of paint later, and we have our starting point.

2YJZtPe.jpg

Few notes from my progress so far. The black I used on the barrel is a little thicker and not as glossy as I was hoping for. It will still look ok in the matte color it currently is, and I do have the gloss if I decide I want to brighten it up. Once it's dry tomorrow I'll hold it next to the scope and see how I like the contrast.

The brown I used for the base looks amazing. The color cap on the bottle didn't do this color justice and I would bet companies could sell a lot of guns in just this simple color. The brand I used is supposedly a new "formula" they had come out with and one I hadn't used before. It is supposed to be a paint and primer in one. The ease and evenness in which it sprayed on really impressed me and so far I couldn't be happier with where I'm at.

I have a busy day tomorrow with helping a neighbor install an awning on his motor home and a scheduled golf match tomorrow evening. I should at some point tomorrow get some time to tape off the stock for the next color I plan to add, which will be the hunter green, but I'm not sure how much more work I will get done on it beyond that. Regardless of how far I get I will take some pictures of the taping.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not an update, but something I wanted to share with the forum readers. Somebody asked my why I named my gun Hillary and I found it prudent to share with everrybody. I myself am prior military as is my brother. He in fact was assigned to the White House for 5 years and dealt first hand with people from last administration and the current one. He told me lots and lots of inside stories about people's personalities off camera and out of public view. The one story that stuck with me was Hillary Clinton's distain for our US military. You know the people who protect her ass when she goes flap-jawing around the country. So in honor of Mrs. Clinton, I named my gun Hillary, because it's my go to gun when "I want that ***** dead".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok folks, it's update time. Our awning project doesn't start for till around lunch time so I had some time with the gun this morning. The brown stock was dried perfectly this morning. I can't describe how much I love this paint.

My first step was blue tape. I didn't want to go with the standard straight lines, I wanted a more wavy pattern. So a good 45 minutes on the cutting board with a knife, finely placing pieces of different widths produced the following results.

AXOTRNv.jpg

vCmUiyk.jpg

It's another beautiful day day today, after 4 days of rain prior to yesterday, so I took her out to the tree to drop the Hunter Green on her. Here she is drying.

YTmNq5R.jpg

gm6yqAu.jpg

So now she sits on the tree outside for the day to dry. I'll check to see if she needs a second coat in about 30 minutes, but from what I can see off camera it looks to be a pretty solid coat. The difference between spraying the Krylon Plastic and spraying the Rust-Oleum Universal are amazing. Most all of us have used the Krylon Plastic before and when you look at it, it looks like it has been spray painted. This isn't the case with the Rustoleum. I wish I had been able to find more colors in that brand, but right now they just weren't available. Depending on how the drying goes, I may have to delay my next step for some wet sanding with a 2000 grit sand paper. This is going to be necessary after I clear coat it anyways, and I forgot to add the 2000 grit sand paper to the initial materials list, but I wasn't expecting to need to use it this early in the process. We'll have to wait and see how she dries. Either way I picked up a can of Rustoleum metallic silver for my 22, and after my experiences so far, I am really excited for how that will turn out. 1 project at a time though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts