Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at the X7 in .223 model #70950. Here it is at Bud's; Marlin X7 223 4+1 22 SYN DLR $321.00 SHIPS FREE
The question is what is the real twist rate on its barrel ? Bud's says 1:10, other sites and on this forum I Have read 1:9, (which is the rate that I want), but Marlin says that only the tactical rifles (?) have 1:9 and if this is a "regular rifle" then it is 1:12.
Now in my book 1:12 twist in .223 cuts out at least 50% of available bullets in .223 making it useless! The Best bullets that are accurate and remain supersonic in .223. are all eliminated from possible use at 1:12. Why they would choice to do that I have no idea, (sorry just disappointed with the 1:12 IF that is what they are and I guess Marlin should know). All my 1:9 .223 rifles shoot the 75gr Amax EXTREEMLY accurately and they are good out to 1/2 mile and I have done groundhogs out that far with them.
Anyone have a #70950 to read on the barrel the twist?
Thanks

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Welcome aboard! I don't own one, but hopefully you get an answer soon... enjoy.

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Thanks for joining us! John

·
Super Moderator
15,812 Posts
WELCOME FROM OLYMPIA, WA; IN THE GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST - THE "ORIGINAL MARLIN®" (North Haven, CT Rifles) COUNTRY!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Idaho. I have a model 70950, the is no markings on the barrel that I can find pertaining to the twist rate, that's including the under side of the
barrel that the stock covers up.

I know mined will shoot quarter size groups at a 100 yds.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the Marlin Owners Forum, from Louisiana!!!

Team 45-70 #1214
cajunjohn

​ "This is America." "Everyone's got a bone to pick."

·
Registered
900 Posts
Welcome from Colorful Colorado!

·
Premium Member
6,482 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!!

·
Registered
14,845 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from New York.

·
Premium Member
13,210 Posts
Welcome from Louisiana!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts