Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the fence. Just got my xl7s 3006 and I kind of like the idea of building my own rounds for it at some point. I have read a lot in the reloading section of the forum but wanted to ask those of you who are loading for the same type of guns as I have. I am not interested in loading for anything but my 3006 to start with. Please share as much as you possible can about your reloading setup, recommendations of presses, other equipment, dies, etc.........just anything that comes to mind that would help out a fellow x gun guy who is thinking of reloading. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
13,655 Posts
Ask this in reloading because you'll get a much broader point of view there on certain equipment and what to use. The equipment I use to load for my X gun is equipment used to load for 20 military surplus rifles, several marlin leverguns, and a cooper.

·
Registered
137 Posts
RCBS is tough to beat. You can get the rockchucker kit that will have everything you need except the dies. RCBS for the dies too. Read your book and dont skip on the mandatory steps involved. Start with one type of brass. Dont go loading a three to five shot group with one case federal, two remington and two winchesters. Set your bench up where if you have little kids they cant get to it, like start eating primers etc. You will need a steady bench cause there is a lot of pressure in sizing the case. Eventually you will need a trimmer. If you only have one -06 then you can neck size. I have two 270's so I full length size so that i can shoot in both guns. Have fun with it, dont get in a hurry make sure you have the time. It is a lot of fun powders for the -06 you can try a lot H and IMR4350 IMR 4064 REL 15 19 22. I like 165 grain bullets in my -06.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Find a friend with re-loading equipment and good common sense. Use and learn from his items what you need and what you want. You'll quickly discover whether re-loading works for you and what you'll need to achieve what you want.

It's an especially rewarding hobby if you re-load for three or more calibers and you like to shoot a lot.. Once you acquire the basic equipment (Press, die set, shell holder and powder scale) adding other calibers can be a simple as buying a die set and shell holder for your new caliber. Purchasing additional items generally relates to how quickly you want to increase the production of your re-loads...(case trimmers, powder dumps, priming tools, etc.)

To start out, besides RCBS products, look to some Lee Reloading products too. Very basic, very inexpensive and they get the job done well for the beginner.

JMHO

·
Registered
986 Posts
I've been reloading since I was 15-16yrs old and I've used the same basic equipment for the 30 yrs since then.

I use a Lyman turret press, Lyman #55 powder measure, a Lyman accu-trimmer [although I recently upgraded to a Wilson case trimmer], and various dies.

For a new reloaded, the Lee Classic Cast or Challenger press/kit is hard to beat. It gives you most of the basic tools needed and won't cost you a fortune. As a side note, Lee equipment is made in Wisconsin, RCBS is made in China.

As far as your '06 goes, my '06 "X" gun loves the 165gr bullets and 180grs are even better.

I use 56grs of IMR4350 under the 165gr Horandy SST, Speer SP, Speer BTSP, or Remington Accu-tip. I consistantly get .75" or less groups with any of the mentioned bullets.

With the 180gr bullets, I use H4831, Rel-22, or Winchester WXR under the Nosler Solid Base bullets. They're a discontinued bullet but are basically the same as the accubond or Ballistic Tip. I would imagine that the 180gr Hornady SST would give similar results.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
On the cheap,
Lee classic loader
pound of powder
box of primers
your brass
a hammer
a caliber
a Wilson case trimmer w/fired 30-06 shell holder

This will make you store bought grade ammo, right on your kitchen table.

Add a Lee hand press, set of dies, and a scale

and your set for making match grade ammo.

You will need to measure the inside of your chamber for OAL. Thats $40 in tools, or borrow someones.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Great advice Pard,

I went with the Lee 3 hole turret press ($80) myself last year.
Die sets change out quick and easy with an extra turret ($12)
I have one set for 30-30 ($27 set) and another for 25-06, 5 seconds to change.

The advice and help here is fantastic. I knew very little a year ago and now feel very comfortable reloading.
Careful though....you may end up with a reloading bench and supplies like PapaJohn or GunRunner!! :eek:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Flingit1200s said:
......just anything that comes to mind that would help out a fellow x gun guy who is thinking of reloading. Thanks!
You've got plenty of advice on equipment. So I'm going to offer something different.

Before you ever screw in a die. Buy a couple of reloading manuals, from any of the bullet mfg's. Sierra, Hornady, Nosler, Speer, all will be good. Read those manuals.... no read them twice. Pay extra attention to the safety points. Then when you set down at the loading bench plan your steps, dont get in a hurry. If a distraction comes up, STOP. Reloading requires your complete undivided attention.

Mistakes can be crippling or have the possibility of bringing a body to room temperature.

Reloading is not hard. Its a good hobby and pastime and it'll keep ya out of them honkytonks.

I have enjoyed it for about 40 years.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Red Ramp said:
Find a friend with re-loading equipment and good common sense. Use and learn from his items what you need and what you want. You'll quickly discover whether re-loading works for you and what you'll need to achieve what you want.

It's an especially rewarding hobby if you re-load for three or more calibers and you like to shoot a lot.. Once you acquire the basic equipment (Press, die set, shell holder and powder scale) adding other calibers can be a simple as buying a die set and shell holder for your new caliber. Purchasing additional items generally relates to how quickly you want to increase the production of your re-loads...(case trimmers, powder dumps, priming tools, etc.)

To start out, besides RCBS products, look to some Lee Reloading products too. Very basic, very inexpensive and they get the job done well for the beginner.

JMHO
Well, make sure you don't get a friend like mine that told me all you have to do is fill the case to the neck with powder and stuff in a bullet! WRONG! ;D Actually my buddy was a very diligent handloader and really helped me when I hadn't a clue how to start. I think working with someone who has experience really helps.

I actually think that the 30-06 is a pretty easy round to reload. That's the one I started with. I started with RCBS and Lyman equipment, and RCBS dies. I still have them 33 years later. My first load was a 150 gr Sierra bullet with 47.0 gr of IMR-3031. It's not a barn burner, but it was amazingly accurate. It's not a load I use anymore, but it was my first deer slayer of a handload.

The 30-06 is pretty versatile because you can load a wide variety of bullets. Right now I have loaded 125 gr, 150 gr, 165 gr and 180 gr. The 165 gr load I use is the Nosler Ballistic Tip over either H or IMR 4350. I like H because it meters a little better and gives me a little better velocity, but the IMR is more accurate out of my gun. But it's really splitting hairs.

So I would suggest getting started with the basics and working up to where you have all the gadgets and gizmos that make loading more fun and efficient. Lots of help on this site for anyone wanting to take the plunge!

·
Registered
27 Posts
As far as equipment, I can't help but recommend RCBS. The Rockchucker kit has worked flawless for me for 20 years and I expect it to be with me for life.

Don't forget to take a look at the internet for videos. Lee Precision has some good basic reloading videos that would get you to a good start.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?=/html/HelpVideos/video.html

I especially like this guy's videos on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYS_3VsmOP0&feature=related

Stay safe and have fun!

·
Registered
986 Posts
raygunter said:
You've got plenty of advice on equipment. So I'm going to offer something different.

Before you ever screw in a die. Buy a couple of reloading manuals, from any of the bullet mfg's. Sierra, Hornady, Nosler, Speer, all will be good. Read those manuals.... no read them twice. Pay extra attention to the safety points. Then when you set down at the loading bench plan your steps, dont get in a hurry. If a distraction comes up, STOP. Reloading requires your complete undivided attention.

Mistakes can be crippling or have the possibility of bringing a body to room temperature.

Reloading is not hard. Its a good hobby and pastime and it'll keep ya out of them honkytonks.

I have enjoyed it for about 40 years.
My prefered manual is the Lyman #49. It's not powder or bullet specific and it gives very good instructions on the loading process.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
well like other have said, lee is cheap and makes good ammo. if you dont have alot of room id say go with a lee hand press(they will work the the 30-06, i full length size 300wm) but you will need a little elbow grease. they even have a basic kit with it. been using a hand press for a year and a half now, im looking at something bigger now but i know that im going to continue.
Good luck

PS as someone esle said, read all you can, i read 2-3 cover to cover before i started

·
Registered
57 Posts
In lieu of the Lyman #49, which I agree is among the most inclusive for updating current powders, and all the other excellent handbooks mentioned, and to keep initial costs to a minimum, you may want to access some on-line info from various powder manufactures. To name just a few free and valuable re-loading references....

http://www.alliantpowder.com/

http://www.hodgdon.com/rifle.html

http://www.imrpowder.com/

They can provide current and up-to-date info for most all caliber, bullet and primer combination's..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Definitely useful info. Thanks guys! I especially appreciate the links Red. Going to read right now. Right now, my plan is to find someone close by who loads and at the same time keep an eye out for some used equipment. Maybe I'll get lucky and find someone with decent stuff that is getting out of the hobby..............

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
well boys i must be the only oddball to do everything on the cheap. i have bought dies used at gunshows, i track accross heaviely frequented public land and scavange once fired brass, my first kit was the lee economy kit and ive slammed the press with everything from 300 winchester on down through 22 hornet and although its a lot looser than it was the day it arived in the mail, i feel i get my moneys wirth and that dang press aint goin anywhere soon. i know i could use some better equipment especieally because i am a reall stickler and even though i use the most primitive unsavy reloading press, i still feel my ammo is among the very best because of my attention to detail and my determination to get my money's worth. dont overlook the lee crap. it just works and i bet my ammo is cheaper than all you other guys's considering overhead reloading costs and you would be hard pressed to prove that my ammo could be better with the newest strongest and most well known reloading equipment. even with that said, of course i want to update my old pile of wannabe equipment but my loads are far from wannabe. there perfect in fact in my eyes and others as well. let your wallet or your pack rat mentality make your descision. lee is fine though. thats all im saying.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts