Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Boys and Girls. Hunt with your heart. Yeah when I was young a deer in the freezer meant everything. Now its about so much more. The rifles, Concept of feeding your family. Hunting, Shooting to me is about values. Learn nature, May very well teach you something of yourself.

·
Premium Member
11,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Boys and Girls. Hunt with your heart. Yeah when I was young a deer in the freezer meant everything. Now its about so much more. The rifles, Concept of feeding your family. Hunting, Shooting to me is about values. Learn nature, May very well teach you something of yourself.
Biggest disappointment re the hunt this year is that my adult son is too doggone unsure of what's going to be happening in his life, in October, to accompany me. This was going to be his first out-of-state hunt, but... not this year. He and I will of course hunt here in Washington - and that's not all bad. We have bear, deer and elk tags on hand for here, and he drew a 2nd deer tag, for a late-season hunt as well. That should be fun. Then there's the bird hunting! :) Our dog will get quite a workout this year for quail, chukar and pheasant I hope. So, ya, I'm disappointed that my son won't be going to Wyoming with me, but we'll share some hunting anyway.

I dearly love this ranch hunt. Was invited on it first in 2012, and have done it every other year since. Usually I take four or five days to travel to the ranch. I stop and visit friends along the way in Montana and Wyoming. Used to visit family in Idaho as well, but they've passed on now, so that stop doesn't happen.

Sometimes I fly fish some of the amazing waters in that part of the world. Often I camp a night or two, I try to vary where I camp year after year, to broaden the experience.

I visit battlefields and small towns. Ya, I make the trip there pretty interesting.

Once I'm at the ranch, it's good. It's like returning to old friends. Yes, I pay the rancher for the privilege of staying on his ranch, and hunting his land. That's fine with me. The experience of staying in an old ranch house, seeing what the ranch does for a few days, what effort is put into everything... It's pretty cooTl. I worked a ranch in Idaho 40+ years ago for a couple of summers, but these folks... These guys are real cowboys! Or as close as you're going to get anymore.

Largely undisturbed, the deer have a pattern. In the morning we try to find which field they've been grazing in overnight. Where they watered. Then we try to intercept them on their way up into their bedding areas. Sometimes that works. Sometimes it doesn't. It's often bitterly cold in the morning, despite only being October. Sometimes there's a light snowfall.

Mid day we often return to the old house for lunch and a nap. It's not unusual for us to come across antelope on our way to or from our mid-day break.

Later in the afternoon, we're out again, trying to find the deer that have been resting for a few hours. We'll then try to intercept them on their way to feed and water, late afternoon or early evening.

In the evening, back at the old house, we cook dinner. It's a group effort among the hunters. I bring a couple of meals each year, and make others. Everyone is tired by the end of the day. We eat, maybe have a glass of wine or a beer, and then nobody stays up very late. The morning hunt is coming early.

The next few days are spent doing the same thing, maybe trying different places, hoping to find a good buck or two. My hunting buddy Jayson, is quite a few years younger than me and a real go-getter. He's taken a couple of real nice mule deer bucks in recent years. Old Tony lives a few months on the ranch every fall and is quite a hunter with bow or rifle. He knows the ranch lands and surrounding lands well and we rely on his knowledge.

Ya, I'm seriously looking forward to this upcoming trip to Wyoming.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Proud for ya, With my physical ailments tromping around to get an Elk is off the bucket list for me. May be a mule deer on horse back is still possible. GLWH

·
Registered
407 Posts
Great to hunt in Wyoming. We hunted a few years on a ranch near Kaycee and that was a blast. First time 10 of went, camped and hunted the ranch and surrounding BLM(bureau of land management) land. Of course we were all working so no time to dilly dally going or coming back. Next time I go I am going to take my time as M700 is. Enjoy the whole thing, that is a great idea. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,322 Posts
Just seeing this, GREAT, GUY! I didn't put in again this year, so if we are still here, it will be general deer and elk on public land.

Ya know, just like you camp at different spots to change the experience, you KNOW your 25-06 and your 30-06 and your #1 will fill the freezer, so,,,,,you really need to take Glenny for a ride and let him breathe that high mountain air and show his stuff. You already banged the gong at 300 yards. Best wishes however you run it!

·
Premium Member
11,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
...you remind me of a mountain friend, furious because his sons scorn what he hunts (deer, chamois, deer), because today they prefer to eat pizza and burgers...
Me?

I have two terrific adult sons, one is quite a hunter, before he was 25 he'd taken whitetail, mule deer, two black bear, and quite a few pheasants. He has become a terrific hunting partner!

The other doesn't hunt, but other than that is quite an outdoorsman. His interests just lie elsewhere, however he's awfully strong, and I sure was glad when he showed up to help me quarter up and pack out a good size mule deer. He loves the taste of venison! I do wish he'd take up hunting. He got his hunter safety certificate when he was young and is a fine marksman, but he's just not real interested in killing game. If I invite him over for steaks, roast or burgers... He's quick to be here!

Good guys, and I'm glad of it. I think they'll be a huge help to their mother when I'm gone. I've always sorta figured that I'd go first. Never know - but her family lives about forever, and I do a lot of stupid, risky stuff, even in my mid 60's.

Guy

21 - 29 of 29 Posts