Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woo Hoo! Just learned that I was drawn for nonresident deer and antelope tags in Wyoming!

Hunt is scheduled for October. I should get home (it's nearly a 1,000 mile drive one-way) a day or two before our general deer season opens here in Washington.

This will be the eighth hunting trip I've made to Wyoming over the past 20 years. Wyoming has always treated me well. It's a real hunt, but chances are good that I'll find a decent mule deer and an average pronghorn.

Normally I hunt with a 25-06 Remington 700, with a fixed 6x Leupold scope, and handloaded 115 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. That rifle is all set up and good to go already. Not sure if my second rifle is going be:

30-06 Rem 700 with another fixed 6x Leupold and handloaded 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. That's a great rifle that has done well for me on several different species of western big game.

7mm Rem Mag, Ruger Number One single shot with an old 3-9x Leupold and either 140 or 160 grain handloads (still working up loads for this relatively recent acquisition.

30-30 Glenfield, maybe with sights, maybe with a 2.5x Leupold... Ya, kinda crazy choice for hunting the great plains, but I know the area well and am confident I could get a shot with it.

Best of luck to all you hunters this fall. I'm just tickled to have drawn both tags! My hunting buddy only drew his deer tag, not deer and antelope. We should each have a good chance at good mule deer bucks.

Guy

·
Registered
208 Posts
Congrats Guy!
Ugh! I'm so envious!
Definitely take the .25-06 & .30-06.
If you can, take the #1 too.
Antelope can be quite a long shot at times.
I think you'd be well set with those 3 rifles for anything that can happen in Wyoming.
Now, if you think you're going to be hunting in deep timber, take your .30-30, or even your Marlin 1895.

Congrats again!

Hawk

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,424 Posts
​Congratulations!

·
Premium Member
11,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. Getting the tags is a hurdle. My hunting buddy only drew a deer tag for the area, not selected for antelope. Phooey.

Ya, I've used both the 25-06 and the 30-06 there. Both have taken game just fine. Interestingly my 4 antelope, two were at about 160 yards, two were at about 250 yards. The mule deer have ranged from 140 to 355 yards. I took another mule deer in western Wyoming, years ago, right at 400 yards, with the 25-06 rifle. That was a "cross-canyon" shot. Heck of a hike to go get the deer, but it did drop at the shot.

BTW, this area isn't known for huge bucks of either species. Decent bucks, but true trophy class animals are rare.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
388 Posts
Good luck on the Wyoming hunt. Some of my best memories are from going after antelope and deer near Gillette. We hunted two ranches there over four or five hunts years ago. Drawing must have been easier then as we always got the tags we wanted. I hunted mostly with a 25-06 and thought performance was ideal for the open range and the antelope hunt. Some of the long shots were awesome.

Have a great and successful hunt. We want to hear more.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Congratulations Guy ! Mrs. shawlerbrook and I didn’t draw our WY antelope tags so look like next year. Oh well, looks like a lot of whitetail archery hunting this Fall.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Congrats. That's a hunt of a lifetime for me. Hoping to do it before I am 6 feet under. Hunted and got an elk and several deer in Co over 30 years ago. God I feel old when I say that. But Wyoming antelope, deer and elk is on my bucket list, especially antelope! Don't forget to do some trout fishing while you're there!

·
Premium Member
11,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrats. That's a hunt of a lifetime for me. Hoping to do it before I am 6 feet under. Hunted and got an elk and several deer in Co over 30 years ago. God I feel old when I say that. But Wyoming antelope, deer and elk is on my bucket list, especially antelope! Don't forget to do some trout fishing while you're there!
You should make that happen!

I've made quite a few trips to the Cowboy State. Every hunting trip has resulted in game being brought home. Some wild experiences and great hunts too! Fishing? You bet!

Thanks, Guy

·
Registered
441 Posts
That's an awesome hunt! Pronghorn is on my bucket list of hunts. Tough to put together such a long trip from NC, and I'm a school teacher so it's hard to get away for the time it would take to make such a trip. Maybe one of these days though. Good luck and look forward to pics and stories!

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Congrats. Looking froward to some great pics and stories.

Reactions: shawlerbrook
1 - 20 of 29 Posts