Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to do this since I just bought the rifle from ShootinShane here a month ago, but the rifle just doesnt fit me (I am 6'6").

I have a Marlin 336D in 98% condition. It has one tiny rust spot near the top of the receiver and a few very light handling marks in the wood. As I am sure most on this forum know, the 336D is essentially the 35 guide gun with the 18 inch ported barrell. Only 1000 of them were made. It really is a sweet little gun. I just wish it fit me better.

I would be willing to sell the rifle in a new hard plastic case for $500 + shipping to your FFL. I would also be willing to consider a trade for Marlin cowboy rifle with a 24" or greater barrell or a pre 1960 Savage 99.

I do not have the capability of taking or downloading digital photos, but have give and honest and accurate description of the rifle. I would be happy to field any questions.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RanchDog, but the one Savage 99 I own is in 300 Sav. I should have specified in a caliber other than 300 Sav. Nice rifle though

·
Registered
736 Posts
Ranch Dog,

I might be interested in your Savage 99. I have several toys to trade that you may find interesting, including a great original 336 A DL 32 special made in 1949, among others. Please send me email describing your 99. Caliber, straight or PG stock, condition, barrel length, you know. Thanks.

Live well

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
He he he I sense Ranch Dog weakening.... Hey Big Redhead, whatcha been doing? We're missing you over on Beartooth postal match these days. :)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hi Dr. A and everyone else,

I took a break from posting for a few months but just couldn't stay away. It's good to be back.

My rifle is not a deluxe model, just an A. Regardless, it's really clean and in an uncommon caliber. A buddy brought it over to show it off the other night and I owned it within 15 minutes. :) But I have a Savage 99 shaped hole in my safe. I would really like a 99A with 20 inch bbl and straight stock. I'm not too choosey about caliber. A 250 would be nice.

I don't think I can compete with you guys on PM3. It took a LOT of ammo and time to produce that one winning target last year. After doing it once the task seems daunting. It would be terrible to spend all that time loading and shooting. Or would it? Hmmm... :)

Live well

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Big Redhead,

I have the same gun. Mine is a cream puff, with the simple silly exception of someone carving their initials in the original wood! I can't tell its ever been shot. I did put a receiver sight on it. Havn't shot it too much. I noticed Greg mushial used 6gr. of HS-6 last year to get a 1/2 inch group. I'm loaded for this weekend, and hoping to get lucky. I have a more modern 99 with a monte carlo stock. I guess we all need one. This one is earmarked for my son. Its in 243, and is my current coyote gun. They do seem kind of torky on the bench. Very different than other guns I have. My brother also just bought a 99 takedown, which I am very anxious to see. The big bore section is a hot bed of craziness at times. Hope you have healed well from last Fall's SX. I hate to think of how many pounds of wheel weights and bullets it took to get my targets sent to Michael.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Local sale fell through. Rifle is back up for sale. I have added a Lyman receiver sight ($60 value) at no extra cost. I am more interested in a cash sale at this point, but would still consider the right trade.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is starting to get old, but the sale has fallen through a second time. Rifle is back up for sale or trade.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What year was the 44 CB made? Is it tapped for a receiver sight, and does it have checkered or plain stocks?

Thanks

·
Registered
520 Posts
TnBigBore said:
What year was the 44 CB made? Is it tapped for a receiver sight, and does it have checkered or plain stocks?

Thanks
It is a standard Cwby, 44mag, 24" full Octagon barrel, checkered, straight grip stock... It is now a discontinued model as for the date of manufacture...rifle is packed and in my safe. I have pictures and I offered to send them awhile back but you called back and said the 336/D was sold - couple of times......

Still want pictures...I'll need your email address...

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info. I am unable to receive pics at my work email. They get stopped by some kind of firewall.

I was mostly interested in whether it is tapped for a receiver sight. I put receiver sights on almost all of my Marlins, and it costs an extra $60 to have a gunsmith drill and tap.

Also, are you the one with the 356 ER for sale?

·
Registered
520 Posts
None of these were 'ever' tapped & drilled for receiver sites if your meaning TANG sights; rifle has the normal on-top-of receiver for adding scope mount bases and a scope as are other Marlins.

If you know a machinist friend he would be able to D & T, most likely a whole heck of a lot cheaper than a gun smith.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some of the earlier 1894 cowboy models were drilled and tapped on the side of the receiver for a peep sight like a Lyman or Williams. I was aware that they were not tapped for tang sights. I have no interest in tang sights. They make me hold the rifle in an awkward position. I think Marlin stopped drilling for receiver sights in 2000 or 2001 I am not sure which.

Sorry if I was not clear in my earlier posts.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts