Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi guys , hope this is the right place to do this, I've been reloading home cast 405gr flat base for about 6 months now, and getting 'OK' accuracy, first outing 1inch at 50, but since with same load and many variations about 2-3 inch seems more common.

Looking to buy small quantities to try, interested in 330-340gr, 330 gr HP, 405gr Hollow Base, and anything else in those vicinity.

In unlikely even someone out there doesn't have 405gr I'd be stoked to swap, other wise I'll pay a fair rate for 15-20 projectiles.

Thanks

David

·
Registered
525 Posts
What load are you using? And have you slugged your barrel? Are you getting excessive leading?
Sizing & weighing bullets into groups helps.
I'm casting 405g lee mold, off the shelf the mold dropped undersize (.457") for my 45-70 with my lead mix (96/2/2).
My barrel slugged .458 so I had to polish the mold & sizer out to .460 and I'm happy with the way it groups now, bullets now weigh 420g.
Hawksbry river hard cast coated boolits are .458 and did shoot ok outa my gun.
Myself I find the longer heavy cast bullets shoot better in my 45-70 & 30-30 than short light bullets.
If you run gas checked boolits, size can be same as bore but non gas check you need to be couple of thou bigger.
Check out Berry's coated bullets from Cleavers- they do a light 45-70 coated bullet that others have had good results with & they're reasonably priced.
ill be casting Late January if your still looking for some to try.

Just thought I'd add, I didn't get my 45-70 shooting good till I sorted the trigger- easy enough to do or a WW happy trigger is easy to fit, Cleavers have these to I believe.

·
Super Moderator
23,665 Posts
PM sent to OP
This needs to be posted as a WTB in Oz' Trading Post.
To save time and effort, I will move it there with a re-direct.
Regards, Brian

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
I have a 425 grain Ranchdog mold. Let me know as I'm about to do a casting session in the next week

Reactions: Waratah

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Guys I appreciate the thoughts. Motivated me to try harder with current mold.

Slugged the barrel, 11.56mm ~.4555", and miced a few cast bullets. Depending on the alloy, was around 11.57mm ~.4551" prolly more decimals there than accuracy of mic lol but enough to be thinking bullets too small. Will try lapping a 1/1000" inch and try again.

Thanks again.

Edit - I've temporarily replaced the peep sigh to take my 42 year old eyes out of the uncertainty. Will report back on results after Christmas

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update, thanks to santa giving me a new scope for 223, i was able to cascade my 308 scope to the 45-70. Results very dissapointing. The issue wasnt loads or rifles, it was me and peep sights.

Approx 30mm group with my starting load at 50m. So ill stop investing energy in loads, and invest it in practise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts