Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTB: (want to buy): Used Marlin 1894 in 45 colt. Would prefer non-cowboy version-but would consider a cowboy model. Condition vg+ (no rust spots, no cracked stocks).

If you have a lead on one, or considering selling, please drop me a direct email. I don't log in/check PM's often.

[email protected]

Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't know where you are located but the Lehi Utah Cabelas has two 45LCs in their reference library.

·
Premium Member
14,149 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
44-40 Willy said:
Non Cowboy 45s are pretty scarce.
Always can do what I did, buy a 44 mag which are plentiful, and get a Marlin made 45 Colt barrel from Numrich and swap it out. I happen to like the round barrel 45 Colts too but where I live the chances to finding one were about nil.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Schtoolee said:
Cabelas just had some new ones made for them this year. Not sure if they are Marlin or Remlin?
From all the posts I've seen here thus far, they all been Marlins, I don't think anyone's posted a Remlin yet.

There was also a run done in 2007-2008 for Big5 stores. They have 20" round Ballard rifled barrels. I've seen posts that they came with non checkered birch wood and there was also a 1894H, "H" for hard wood, it was also non checkered. At the time they were priced $250 (birch) and $350 (hard wood).

+1 for the round barrel 45 Colt 1894s and doing the swap. The swap can be pretty cost effective if you can find an inexpensive used 44 Mag. Its not hard, the 44 Mag 20" round Micro-Groove barrel 1894s are pretty common and have a bad reputation for not shooting well due to the 1:38 twist. Deserved or not, they don't go for the prices of other model 1894s.

The top rifle was a 44 Mag 1894 that had the Numrich 45 Colt barrel swapped onto it. Total cost $589.00 and it shoots like a dream.

·
Registered
180 Posts
No, Its got the Marlin Rollmark but not the JM proof mark.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Yes, my 45 colt barrel from Numrich has no JM either and from what I am told, that stamp doesn't get applied until the gun is finished and since these barrels were never installed they didn't get the JM. They were probably manufactured in the early 90's because of the "S" after 1894 indicates a cross bolt safety, and the Micro Groove rifling and a 1:20 twist rate. I wasn't sure about the Micro Groove but now I am a happy camper with it. I get zero leading! 8)

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
eaglesnest said:
Yes, my 45 colt barrel from Numrich has no JM either and from what I am told, that stamp doesn't get applied until the gun is finished and since these barrels were never installed they didn't get the JM. They were probably manufactured in the early 90's because of the "S" after 1894 indicates a cross bolt safety, and the Micro Groove rifling and a 1:20 twist rate. I wasn't sure about the Micro Groove but now I am a happy camper with it. I get zero leading! 8)
Now that I think about it you're correct. Can't proof it if it aint assembled. ::)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
2 new 45s

Brother just picked up a .45 non cowboy from Cabella for $529.
I just bought a gentleman's .45 inventory which included a new cowboy w/o box for roughly the same price.

Both are as much fun as can be legally had, and are soup can accurate to 100 yards with normal colt loads of 255 gr RN lead over 9 gr Unique.
The bullet just takes awhile to get there...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts