Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for aperture sights for a Marlin 1894 and a 1895.

Prefer all steel Lyman 66LA, Redfield 80 (but I am not at all sure which one will fit either rifle) or possibly a Williams Foolproof sight.

If you have something, Please send me a Pm. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
36,503 Posts
Here is a aluminum one and they are asking big dollars for it.
copy and paste the number on ebay search engine.

ca'jun56

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Wow! Al Bundy has run the price up! His son (in law) "Meathead" is back. Anyone wanna buy a painting and put $ our joint bank account?

Sorry to hack your request, but if you have top mounts, you might consider the WRS if you can find one. I have several mounted and have been happy with them for certain applications. Good luck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The 1894S in 45 Colt is a 1989 production. I'm watching Ebay. The 1895 is on my "to purchase" list. I debated about the price of one on GB yesterday and by the time I decided to buy it someone had hit the Buy Now button.

I'd prefer a click-adjustable aperture sight as I have a wide range of 45 loads. I'm not sure which current Williams aperture sights mount and work properly for an 1894.

What does tk mean--WIlliams "FP/tk"? FP=FoolProof, tk=?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
TK means target knobs.....as you say, "click adjustable. For instance, an FP/TK will be a Foolproof sight with target knobs.

Go online to Williams sights and the website will give you applications.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have been on the site-I see a FP for Marlin 336 and 1895, but no mention of an 1894. I found an older post of this site that stated the FP doesn't quite fit right on a 1894 but can be made to work. I'm not at all sure what that means. I'll call them and see if I can reach someone knowledgeable.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
The Williams 336 fits the 1895 using the top Receiver holes.
Will allso fit the 94 but hangs over the Hammer Some.
Uf the 94 has the two side holes on the receiver the ,Williams 94/36 will fit.
My 84 classics can use the 94/36.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see where a hunting model FP sight can be converted to a target model by purchasing the target knobs from Brownells. Is there also a way to convert a target model to a hunting model?

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Well, the Receiver Sights Being discussed are designed to be more or less easily and repeatedly adjusted for accurate shooting.
They can be 'set and left' but for then bulk of the sight is never used and just sets there in the way.
Williams has a 5d model a No detant screws, loose the screw and use your fingers to adjust up and down, left and right.
Skinner, Ranger Point Precision make Receiver Sights for Leveractions of the 'Set it and Forget it' variety, but are also fairly easy to adjust (with tools) for windage and elevation.
As suggested there is also the "Williams Receiver Gun Sight" WGRS made for the 336 and hangs over the hammer on the 94.
It can be mounted backwards (and working backwards) on the 94 with no overhang.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have 45 Colt loads that range from mild cowboy action loads to +P loads from Buffalo Bore with several in between loads. I's like to zero them all and then if I settle on one, leave the sights at that setting.

How likely will the target knobs lose their setting during woods carry or bouncing around in a truck? Is there a way to "lock" them?

Thanks to all for their comments!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I have 45 Colt loads that range from mild cowboy action loads to +P loads from Buffalo Bore with several in between loads. I's like to zero them all and then if I settle on one, leave the sights at that setting.

How likely will the target knobs lose their setting during woods carry or bouncing around in a truck? Is there a way to "lock" them?
Would let a scoped rifle bounce around in your truck?
The FP sights are precision measuring instruments with fine threads, I am pretty careful with mine.
With all the Knobs on, the width of the sight is about 3/4 of an inch wider than without the knobs.
The knobs all lock.
If you are not planning on using them why not just buy the FP?
Set the zero on the bench using the screws then lock it down and your set.

Skinner are built like tanks, never seen the RPP sight in person.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you. A FP with target knobs seems to fit best with the experimentation I want to do with different loads. I am purchasing one from a Forum member.

I'll continue to look for an all steel Lyman 66LA or old Redfield.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts