Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had no idea they were so hard to come by till I began my search... I may have to cut something down as well.

Ss

·
Registered
615 Posts
Probably easier and cheaper to buy a Marlin and cut it down. Other option buy the rifle, buy an old used butt stock, cut the stock down to youth size, keep the old buttstock, and in a few years when he is older and taller put the original stock back on. Saves having to buy a second adult size rifle, not to mention having to sell off your first deer rifle is sacrilegious.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Remington discontinued it and then came out with the compact model which retained the short barrel, It wasn't on the market long before they went bankrupt. Both are hard to find now.
The read gem was the JM Spikehorn in walnut, even harder to find.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Crazy to think I used to see them at every big box store and turned a blind eye.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Bart, no I didn't. I called my favorite pawn shop to tell them to watch for one. He gave me a thumbs up and then asked "... what about a Savage Axis Compact?"

Hmmm, in the perfect world, no, however, especially in terms of firearms this is far from even a normal world, much less perfect.

"Caliber?"
"243."
"Sold."

"It'll cost you a little more than at Cabella's but we have it, they don't."

"What's your ransom?"
"$400 plus tax."
"Split the tax with me and you've sold a rifle."
"I dunno, I've -"
"Tony, how many guns have I bought from you and never questioned your price?"
"Come get your rifle, I'll pay all the tax."

So, there you have it, much more information than you wanted... My grandson was tickled, he loved the shorter stock compared with Papaw's 35 Rem. It was meant to be, just in time for his 12th birthday!

Thanks for asking, Bart, still looking for a 336 youth.

Ss

·
Super Moderator
17,128 Posts
Great job Papaw! I'll leave this up... Don't forget to "bump" it once a week or so...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts