Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for odds and ends. Just purchased a Marlin 1892 .32 long colt (nice) would like to shoot it a few times. Checking to see if anyone has a few strays in their collection that they could spare. Only want to shoot it a few times for old times sake. Will pay fair price and shipping. Thank you.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, you can use any of the .32 caliber series of cartridges available. Like the the .32 H&R magnum, .327 Fed Magnum & .32 S&W.

·
Super Moderator
24,925 Posts
What is the date of manufacture for your rifle? I think S&W 32 and S&W 32 Long would be OK to shoot if your rifle has been carefully examined by a gunsmith.

Reactions: cajun56

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have some S&W 32 Long brass I'd give up.

Reactions: rob42049

·
Registered
16,334 Posts
I checked the online drawings, and then checked them again in Cartridges of the World, copyright 1972, to make sure I was seeing this correctly. There are some dimensional differences, especially in the head and body diameter of the cartridge cases. Are they truly interchangeable? Has anyone done it?

Screenshot 2021-05-03 at 10.26.16 AM.png
Screenshot 2021-05-03 at 10.27.46 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-05-03 at 11.02.47 AM.png

outside lubricated heel type bullet .32 Long Colt.

·
Super Moderator
24,925 Posts
Rob is right. 32 S&W Long and the Colt 32 New Police cartridge are the same. The 32 Long Colt has different dimensions and will not interchange with the 32 S&W Long.

·
Registered
962 Posts
No, absolutely not interchangeable! I don't think you could get them to chamber, but don't try anyway. Your 92 is chambered for. 32 Colt, or .32 rimfire depending on the firing pin installed. These are all low pressure cartridges, and the bore dimensions are not all the same. Don't try to hotrod the beautiful little rifle. You can buy heeled bullets and load your own, but again very low pressure with a powder known for such applications.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, you can use any of the .32 caliber series of cartridges available. Like the the .32 H&R magnum, .327 Fed Magnum & .32 S&W.
Not correct---Read this:
The Marlin 92 is chambered to take either the .32 Short Colt or .32 Long Colt cartridges, if the centerfire firing pin is installed. If the rimfire pin is installed, it will shoot the .32 Short or Long Rimfire.
Of the above cartridges, only the .32 Short Colt is somewhat available. Winchester still produces it, but it's not often seen on shelves.
It is NOT the same as the .32 S&W.
The .32 Long Colt, last produced in the early 1980s, is NOT the same cartridge as the .32 S&W Long or the .32 Colt New Police.
The .32 Short or Long Colt cartridges are smaller in diameter than the Smith & Wesson or Colt New Police cartridges. The .32 S&W or Colt New Police cartridges will not fit in a Marlin 92 chamber.
Navy Arms or Old Western Scrounger no longer offer .32 Rimfire cartridges. I know of no source for them.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have some 32 long RIMFIRE, if you are interested. I bought them for my Model 92, but it is long gone...... (btw - the '92 was chambered for 32 short or long COLT.. S&W doesn't fit!)

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
Yes, the 32's get quite confusing with long, short, and New Police, and along with S&W offerings. I keep it simple and only do 32 Long and 32 WCF (32-20). Some of the 32's are jacketed others are different cast bullets with heeled bullets and what not. Just make sure you are feeding the right firearm the right ammo.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What is the date of manufacture for your rifle? I think S&W 32 and S&W 32 Long would be OK to shoot if your rifle has been carefully examined by a gunsmith.
My "92" was mfg. 1901. thank you for the come back.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
looking for odds and ends. Just purchased a Marlin 1892 .32 long colt (nice) would like to shoot it a few times. Checking to see if anyone has a few strays in their collection that they could spare. Only want to shoot it a few times for old times sake. Will pay fair price and shipping. Thank you.
Thanks all for the come back. My 92 was mfg. 1901. Not perfect by any means, but after all its 120 yrs. old and still very good.

·
Registered
16,334 Posts
I don't think any cartridges with a .337" body diameter are going to slide into a chamber reamed for a .318" body diameter cartridge. It doesn't matter what year the rifle was made.

At one time, there was a gentleman named Bob Haley, from Texas, who made custom cartridge cases, bullets, and ammunition. He passed away and I know of no other sources for .318" shellcase diameter 32 Long Colt components. This problem will take some research.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I researched this subject a few years back and for me lead to a practical dead end. Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Tenmile on GB sells reformed brass and the correct heeled bullet for the 32 long colt. His ads are very informative and he is a great guy to deal with. He very willingly shared information with a new VERY UNEDUCATED guy....me! He has been very helpful in my pursuit of these rifles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts