Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Wow to Boyds!

4K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  gradninja 
#1 ·
All I can say about Boyds is WOW!

After waiting for Boyds to release the X gun stocks last spring, I finally got around to ordering a Dakota Peppered for my 30-06. Get this, I ordered it yesterday after lunch and I come home from work tonight and it's on my doorstep! Paid for the cheapest ground shipping to boot.

But that's only a small part of the Wow. The biggest Wow is the stock is truly a fine piece of work. Fits like an absolute glove. Took all of three or four minutes to install. Very precision piece. I was expecting a small amount of fitment, but I mean it's perfect. Dollar bill slides right under the barrell and the triggerguard, bolt, and action cutouts were abosolutely spot on. Beautiful finish to boot.
Raised cheekpiece fits like it was custom made for me. I'm glad I waited as I almost ordered a Classic a while back, but I'm a taller guy and this Dakota shoulders perfectly.

Adding the stiffness and weight of the stock really makes the gun feel like an absolute quality piece. I couldn't be any happier. Thanks Boyd's and thanks to the guys on the forum for all the reviews and pics of their fine products!

See less See more
#3 ·
She's a looker for sure. ;) I am curious to know if you see an improvement in accuracy. I got my classic from Boyds and still waiting to get my glass bedding kit in and mount a limbsaver on it and then I will shoot it and compare groups on targets I shot with my XL7 in 30-06 before the stock change. You are right about the fit. They do fit like a glove.

#6 ·
Sweet looking rifle!!

#8 ·
I looked into that when I got the Walnut stock from Boyds'. There's probably a way, but I wasn't about to get into either routing out the stock to accept the butt pad or cut the butt pad and possible make it useless. I find the butt pad that came with the Boyds stock does a good job on recoil. Mr fixit

#9 ·
Yeah, while the Marlin pad is undoubtedly softer, it would be fairly labor intensive to try and install it. I wouldn't want to mess with such a nice finished piece as the Boyds is. I'd go with a Decelerator if I wanted a different pad.
While I haven't shot it yet with the new stock, I'll be curious if the overall heft of the new laminate stock will offset whatever load absorbing difference the new butt-pad is lacking over the Marlin pad.
That being said, the Boyd pad seems pretty decent itself, just not as thick.

#12 ·
Man, thats a sharp looking setup! Do the Boyd's stocks allow for the pillar bedding that the factory stocks do as well ?

I'm really getting close to springing for one of these xl7's on 30-06 and would like to slap a thumbhole stock underneath it at some point.

Thanks

Brett... Future XL7 owner

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.