Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story shorter, 1st range trip... fired something less than 100 rds, and the action bound-up with the lever in the down position. That ended the range day, went home, inspected. The loading gate screw had backed out and the loading gate had drooped inward and thus caused binding with the carrier.

Ok... tightened back up the screw for the loading gate, it tensions the spring on the gate... the gate elevates back outward to being butted up against the port opening, cool.

2nd range day. Can't remember, but I don't think it was much more than 50 rds... lever jams up! This time no play whatsoever! Welp, my range day is done. Take it back home, loading gate is fine and still tight as should be. Removed lever and bolt. The side of the casing on the round jammed up in there which was perhaps 1/3'rd sticking out of the magazine tube was all kinda scratched up on the side visible to me. Did some Google-Fu, opened the magazine tube and dumped the remaining rounds, then had to carefully pry that jammed out out of the magazine tube opening.

Returned it back to Remington for warranty repair. Their original response email to my Warranty return stated 12 weeks! Thankfully ended up being much less. But.. interestingly.. on this "Repair Document" for the "Problems" section, they listed what I said as:

B096 Front Sight Loose
M020 Fails to Cycle
M105 Mars Brass

(And even though I didn't expressly mention it in the warranty submission... Pssh... I'd have thought any respectable tech would have noticed how my Hammer Spur was loose (this anemic device keeps chronically loosening itself back up after a number of shots, even though I installed it with Blue LocTite placed on that tiny anemic allen screw within it.) and they didn't even bother to tighten/correct/fix the hammer spur! Seriously People!? (So remember to mention that if you as well submit for repair, apprantly they will ONLY address what is specifically stated on the repair order. So lame.)

For the "Found" section of the Problems section they list:

B052 CARRIER BROKEN

Are you serious? Are you seriously telling me you produce a gun where after only something like 150 rds thru it that carrier part will break??

Unfortunately the way this all went down it gave me no time to attempt to re-mount the (needed for me) scope and re sight-in in time to use it during my deer season this year.

Because of the light-weight aspect of it though. I *may* still try to get the optic back on and sight it back in to see if I can carry it with me until the end of the year while I mildly give my Bear Tag a try. I just don't know though. Hard to have ANY confidence in a weapon that failed like that and after so few rounds thru it.

Does anyone else know of anybody experience issues like this with recent generation 1894's?

·
Administrator
27,742 Posts
Sorry to hear your problems but this reads more of a rant and understandably so. Yet, I'm moving this to the Rant Forum.

FWIW, while handling two remlins, an 1895G and 1895GS, their lever locked up in the open position. The clerk just walked both to the back room. Part of the reason I still only own JM's.

Personally, I wouldn't use any firearm in the field that I'm not 100% confident in.

Jack

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Sorry to hear your problems but this reads more of a rant and understandably so. Yet, I'm moving this to the Rant Forum.

FWIW, while handling two remlins, an 1895G and 1895GS, their lever locked up in the open position. The clerk just walked both to the back room. Part of the reason I still only own JM's.

Personally, I wouldn't use any firearm in the field that I'm not 100% confident in.

Jack

good advice all the way around here!

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
It probably isn't much help at this point, but I wonder if noting the date of manufacture of these defect rifles wouldn't be helpful. At least there would be some kind of gauge as to whether quality is improving over time.

Even ~10 years after the North Haven plant was closed, there still isn't any definitive answer to the question of "should I buy it?" other than "find a JM" or "mine is perfect". To someone looking for advice on a pass or buy rifle, it still leaves them with the same doubts.

At least with some objective evidence like, past serial number xxxxxxx the odds of you buying a lemon is pretty low (or high) that you'll get a good (or bad) one.

Just thinking out loud....:dontknow:

It does seem (anecdotally) that at least Remington's CS process is improving.

·
Administrator
27,742 Posts
I appears the customers are the Quality Control. Gun fails, it fails QC. Return to the production floor.

Why bother with an expensive QC Department when you can delegate that responsibility to the paying customer! What can possibly go wrong!

AC

I don't know, MO gets so many rants regarding Remington's poor quality that we added the RANT FORUM. :flute:

Jack

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well... my 336 BL .30-30 was bought in 2014... and that was supposed to be closer to when they were all coming out problematic. And the only issue that one had besides the thing of having the front site blade all ridiculously loose in the dovetail was that the rounds with Barnes TSX FN with i't swide opening on the Hollow-points... felt like the lips of those were occasionally wanting to catch on something inside the action. Well... that and the checkering was poorly done.

Switched over to Federal Premium Trophy Copper with the Roundnose Polymer inserts. Works like a charm and accurate.

And because I had good accuracy and success with that 336BL (took my biggest buck soo far with that one.) when I saw that the Marlin 1894 weigh A FULL POUND LESS!!! I was like, I have to have this! I actually was looking at the Ruger 77/44 first. And truthfully I should have bought that one. But.. to me the lever-action can be worked and cycled a significant degree faster I believe. And after holding one, really appreciated how much more slim and light they are than the big pig of the 336 BL.

HOpefully in the next few days I'll get the scope mounted back on and take to range to do initial sight in. Crossing fingers. Cause I want to use this gun, for predator calling hunts this winter.

·
Administrator
27,742 Posts
Keep us informed on the progress and hope it serves you well.

Jack

·
Super Moderator
11,678 Posts
Jack
Actually my JM has done the same thing - twice.
First time I figgered "new to me" and just tightened it.
Second time it got some blue Loctite and no issues since.
It used to be a well known issue and we have a sticky on it somewhere here on MO.

Here's one of many threads just searching on 1894 gate screw jam
https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/1894/173144-1894-44-loading-gate-screw.html

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FYI... y'day attempted to re-sight-in this 1894 .44 Mag. Plan was to get it close to where it needs to be @ 25yds with some Cowboy Action lead rounds I happened to have, then switch over to Remington Hog Hammer 225gr Barnes VOR-TX's.

Not consistent AT ALL! And pretty sure it looked like some of the holes in the paper were key-holed as well. You know, with tears leading away in one direction away from the main circular-ish hole.

Sure, it's potentially *possible* that something may be wrong in the scope, but I highly doubt it. This is the same Weaver classic 1-3x20mm scope I have on my 336 BL. The same 336 BL that was in my hand when I had a slip-and-fill while crossing a creek @ 32 F, which resulting in a shattered wrist, and the lip of the objective end of that particular scope getting bent up. NOTE: After healing during that next year, that scope WAS STILL ZEROED. And I took my best buck so far with it.

This Weaver on this .44 Mag, I'd previously had it on an AR15. And it performed just fine there. My young son didn't like it though because the 3x didn't let him see the target so well at 100yd so I changed to something else on that firearm.

So... with these new findings... gentleman... I ask you this. Would these results suggest I should perhaps try doing some reloading with perhaps their 200gr Barnes XPB's? My thought being that perhaps with the projectile being lighter it might be better able to stabilize it?

·
Administrator
27,742 Posts
GDog, a number of thoughts come to mind.

First, take nothing for granted, have you pulled your scope and tried iron sights?

Have you closely checked your BL's crown for any potential damage during your fall?

Does your bores rifling appear up to snuff, checking with a bore light. If you have a bore gauge, check your bore to be sure it's within spec. Or have a gunsmith check it.

Handloads are always good to produce a load/bullet your rifle prefers. But I'd be inclined to get it to shoot factory rounds well enough first. Otherwise, you may only increase your frustration.

Jack

·
Registered
16,172 Posts
What's the diameter of Barnes slugs? Marlin barrels are SAAMI specced at .431" in the grooves. A .429" bullet made for handguns may not be up to par in a Marlin rifle. Maybe your rfle didn't like the Barnes bullet. Reload some Hornady XTP, 200 or 240 grain bullets over Alliant 2400, Accurate #9, or IMR 4227. Drive them to 1650-1750 ft/sec. If they don't shoot, then something really is wrong. .44 Mag rifles and pistols are two different species of cat. Ammo requirements differ.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GDog, a number of thoughts come to mind.

First, take nothing for granted, have you pulled your scope and tried iron sights?

Have you closely checked your BL's crown for any potential damage during your fall?

Does your bores rifling appear up to snuff, checking with a bore light. If you have a bore gauge, check your bore to be sure it's within spec. Or have a gunsmith check it.

Handloads are always good to produce a load/bullet your rifle prefers. But I'd be inclined to get it to shoot factory rounds well enough first. Otherwise, you may only increase your frustration.

Jack
RE: Iron sights - Both my 336 BL and this 1894... right out of the box... the front sight blades were loose within the dovetail! You could move them back-and-forth with your fingers maybe 2mm. Plus, unfortunately my vision is now poor @ 50yo. I rely on glasses. I cannot read most printed text without them. (Years and Years of coding software will do that, I'm told.)

RE: The fall - That was with my other firearm (the 336 BL). That scope is still on that firearm and still nicely zeroed. That fall did not affect the muzzle. My wrist and the rifle got slammed into the peak/apex of a stone which was embedded onto the opposite bank of that little creek. The muzzle likely didn't even touch dirt at all.

RE: Factory first vs different handloads. Meh... I guess I'll try again sighting it in with some Hornady XTP's. If I remember right, the first time I took it to the range, (when the dang loading gate screw loosened up and the loading gate drooped inward and locked-up the action and lever!) that's what I bought at their counter and they seemed to work "decent" in terms of accuracy. (Those were 240gr, but they're lead, so that's a nogo for me for hunting here in KommieFornia, I HAVE to find a lead-free option which works).

SIGH... your thoughts about having a gunsmith give it a critical eye sound like a good bet.

Hrmm... here's a question... do guns like this 1894 typically require a certain number of rounds pass thru them before they're "broken in"? I know some pistols are like that and they recommend at least X number of rounds thru them first.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
So, did you trust your remlin jam-o-matic bear hunting? I wouldn’t. Be my luck brer bears would take offense to being stung with a 44 and wander over to do something about it. Suggestion, carry a 44 magnum or larger handgun if you use the remlin.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts