Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All and Happy New Year: Here's the deal , My friend died last year and his widow knew we both shoot this caliber. She brought over a large amount of his reloads. They are all well done and well labeled. Made with the Marlin mod.1895 in mind. Example- Hornady case, WLR primer, H4198 powder @51.4 grains, Hornady 325gr LE bullet. 4 boxes of these. 1 box of Win cases, H4198 @58gr, CCI200 primers, with 300gr HP Hornady bullet (vel. 2360), 2 boxes of Win cases with H4198 @ ??(not written), CCI200, with 350 Hornady FP bullets. About 7 boxes total. Trouble is, NONE OF MY MANUALS GO THIS HIGH WITH H4198 POWDER. Have you guys loaded H4198 this high? Obviously I am reluctant to shoot them in my rifle without some encouragement from someone I trust. Otherwise, I'm compelled to make them available to someone with a Browning Highwall, or Ruger #1. Tell me what you think. Don't be shy (ha)! thanks- Jay

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
You can always pull them for the components. I would have reservations also, unless I knew the guy who loaded them, and what he intended to shoot them in.

·
Premium Member
15,348 Posts
I agree with HIKayaker,
I would pull bullets and salvage the components minus powder

·
Premium Member
16,409 Posts
Hey Jay,

Sorry about the passing of your friend.

Would pull those. Think they are a bit hot for 1895 usage.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey Snuffydvm, I am sorry for your loss. I am a +1 for what HIKayaker has already said. The components are all good but don't forget the 1895 is NOT engineered for Thor's Hammer loads, the risk is not worth it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would you agree that these are overloaded with H4198 for this rifle? Does anyone have a rifle that could use these?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have never shot any reloads but my own. If someone I knew and trusted reloaded, I would not have a problem with it. That said, the data on HODGDON website for lever guns dosn't look to far out of line with above. If it were my friend and I trusted him I'd shoot them in a heart beat. But the safe thing to do would be to pull them down for components!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
snuffy nope NOT overloaded! i went right to hodgdon's site and those are within specs! roughly midline for the loading range. also checked loadbooks usa one book/ one caliber for 45-70 and it says you are good to go mid range load for h 4198. if you trusted him then fire away and my condolences on your loss. as a side note they way the powder companies list for the 45-70, and the way these fine folks here have done the actually IRL shooting of reloaded ammo, i would say use 1/2 a dozen as a salute to him then salvage the rest.

·
Premium Member
7,707 Posts
I have A friend whos reloads I would gladly shoot in my rifle. I have another friend I would not shoot his reloads in his rifle. Just saying!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Those reloads would "probably" be OK to shoot. But, if it was me, "probably" is not enough assurance. Pulling the bullets and discarding the powder is "definitely" the safe way to go. Is the lost time and gunpowder worth more to you than your safety?

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Agree with Trailblazer and previous posts--I would pull the bullets and reload them myself. They may have worked in your friends rifle, but who knows about yours? Better to play it safe. Condolences on the loss of your friend.

·
Premium Member
28,803 Posts
I'd pull em..
But I would shoot most of these if I could get away with it.
lol
Sorry for your loss.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,280 Posts
What do you gain by shooting them rather than disassembling and reloading yourself?

What do you lose if you shoot them and something goes wrong?

·
Registered
596 Posts
That stinks about your friend. Sorry, how does HIS loads compare to YOUR loads? If not the same just pull em.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Sorry for your loss. I just reread your lines and if his wife knows you both shot the 45/70, don't you know what gun he shot them out of? Having said that I agree with Gatorskiner--How good a friend was He?

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
If he were alive, you were out shooting and he offered to let you shoot a few of his loads, would you? If you trusted him alive, why distrust him now? If you wouldn't have shot his reloads if the existence of the planet depended on it, pull them down. Now if he was loading for a Siamese Mauser and trying for 458 Win Mag ballistics, well, only if you like kaboom Marlins.

·
Banned
1,519 Posts
Would you agree that these are overloaded with H4198 for this rifle? Does anyone have a rifle that could use these?
Yes......some are overloaded for 1895's and some just upper end. as much as I say shoot some and not others....DONT ! Its never a good idea to shoot someones reloads.......too much Murphy out there. Pull the bullets and cases......start over.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts