Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you be afraid it will let you down on a hunt. It is on an 1894 44 mag. I personally think it will be fine but if not where is the best place to start looking for a replacement. The gun is a 1987 model.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
It looks tight but looks can be deceiving. If you give it a little twisting action and there's no movement, I wouldn't be afraid to hunt with it. The 44 just doesn't generate that much recoil.

If there is movement in the crack, I would repair it. A crack in the stock that allows movement can badly effect accuracy. I would probably start by drilling through the damaged area and using epoxy or even wood glue in the split and down into the drilled hole. Insert a dowel or undersized screw in the hole and insure it goes below the surface of the stock. You should have enough epoxy that it just stands a little proud of the surface. Rub in a little saw dust on top and when you refinish (if you choose too) you will hardly notice the repair.

I've fixed several stocks this way including one on an 1894 Marlin that was in way worse shape ( see http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/1894/105759-1894-basket-case.html if interested). There was even one on a .356 Winny 94 that my clumsy behind manage to fall on while hunting and crack through the wrist. I despaired of having to replace the XTR grade wood but once the repair was made, it is hardly noticeable and I didn't even have to refinish that stock as the repair didn't show from the surface.

Luck,

·
Registered
168 Posts
44 Mag is not exactly, by rifle standards, a high recoil round so,
IMHO, if it's tight, I would not expect it to let it go when shooting but, it may go if the gun is mishandled... In other words: it would not stop me from taking it hunting but, I'd look at fixing it ASAP.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
just take the stock off and drill a small hole into/parallel to the crack...mix a dab of epoxy with a toothpick and push the toothpick into the hole....let it cure and trim it with a pocket knife...while your at it bed the back end of the trigger plate and tang...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If it moves when you wiggle it, take the stock off, use some good quality exterior grade wood glue and some clamps and fix her up. Then take her down to bare, and refinish as new. No need to buy a new stock.

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
Duct Tape :biggrin:

I'd be looking for a replacement. It would probably hold just fine if tight, but it would really suck if it ruined a hunt.

·
Registered
17,013 Posts
just take the stock off and drill a small hole into/parallel to the crack...mix a dab of epoxy with a toothpick and push the toothpick into the hole....let it cure and trim it with a pocket knife...while your at it bed the back end of the trigger plate and tang...
Instead of a toothpick,you might also use a skinny brass or stainless rod and Brownell's Acra-Glas Gel. This stock is easily saved,no sense getting rid of it.

Rob

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have repaired cracked stocks similar to yours using a suggestion from this forum. If the stock is still in one piece but cracked, use thin super glue. It is $3 a bottle at any craft store. It is super glue but is as thin as water. It will be literally be sucked up by the crack. Open up the crack just a hair and apply the thin super glue. the stock will suck it all the way into the crack (thicker glue will not go deep enough).
Put some clamps on it over night (the glue will actually harden almost immediately, but do it overnight just to be really sure).
If you are careful applying it there will only be a very thin line of excess glue at the sight of the crack after the clamp is applied. Use some rubbing alcohol to clean it off immediately after installation. Any that is left after drying can be cleaned off carefully with a little oil soaked steel wool. The super glue is quick drying, but as long as it is flowing in wet it seems to stay wet long enough to do the job and apply a clamp.

I did this on a 45-70 with a severely cracked stock and it is holding up fine.

Here is the link to the thread on my repair

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/45-70-govt/128696-need-help-fixing-45-70-stock-hairline-crack.html

Reactions: SC Reb

·
Registered
568 Posts
it would be easier to fix now than after the stock is in two pieces.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts