Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Marlinitis is acting up again and I'm thinking I'm going to get into the shiny silver thingies. I'm on Gunbroker and see a gorgeous 336SS (2009) but the seller wants $1,495 to "Buy It Now"...and started off the auction at $1,195! What?

Is it me or is this guy smoking Colorado pasture grass? Is that the going price for a JM stamped 336SS in excellent condition?

Please (Lord hear my prayer) tell me that I'm not the only one who thinks that's just way over the top. If not, please let me down easy boys...the pocketbook cant take it before my move back to Virginia in June.

Regards all,
Matthew

·
Super Moderator
26,091 Posts
I can get a 338MXLR for around that price on GB. That seller is high in more ways than one.

·
Registered
325 Posts
There are very few guns I'd consider dropping that kind of money on. If it were the last ss jm 336 on earth nib? maybe..

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
So my Marlinitis is acting up again and I'm thinking I'm going to get into the shiny silver thingies. I'm on Gunbroker and see a gorgeous 336SS (2009) but the seller wants $1,495 to "Buy It Now"...and started off the auction at $1,195! What?

Is it me or is this guy smoking Colorado pasture grass? Is that the going price for a JM stamped 336SS in excellent condition?

Please (Lord hear my prayer) tell me that I'm not the only one who thinks that's just way over the top. If not, please let me down easy boys...the pocketbook cant take it before my move back to Virginia in June.

Regards all,
Matthew
Don't spend that much!! I got my sons JM stamped 336SS 4 years ago for $325 LNIB and one just sold on gunbroker yesterday for $605. I understand some price increase due to the Remington takeover, but not that much. I am sure if you keep your eyes open you'll find one in the $5-600 range. Good luck!!

·
Registered
970 Posts

Regards all,
Matthew
No. He's just trying to find the upper limit for the 336SS. $1195 ask is "fair" but not a "deal". Other quality guns like this are commanding much higher prices. Check the "Completed Items (sold)" and look at the pictures of the higher priced guns and what they went for. Some of it may be over-the-top, but this is a normal market at work. You may not value the offering and its price as much as someone else. But there is no perfect price beyond which a purchase would be universally seen as complete idiocy. If you really like it, go for it. But wait until 15-20 minutes before the auction ends before bidding. And set your maximum. If you really want it, ensure you are the top bidder . Money is replaceable. JM 336SS in 30-30 are no longer made.....

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
I know it's blasphemy But I looked at A remlin 336 SS and it was A beautiful rifle. Thinking $600.+ on price. This may not be normal but it's the only SS remlin I have looked at closely.
I would take the chance before I spent that kind of money on A JM.

·
Premium Member
28,790 Posts
Not" no but Heeeck no!!
I wouldn't get out of the blame Electric Chair to buy it..
Crazy people.
I'm so glad I bought my rifles when I did.
At a hundred here and two hundred there.
Guess I have a small fortune then..
But I aint got time to worry about profit, resale and such.
I'm to busy killin stuff with em.

·
Super Moderator
26,091 Posts
I know it's blasphemy But I looked at A remlin 336 SS and it was A beautiful rifle. Thinking $600.+ on price. This may not be normal but it's the only SS remlin I have looked at closely.
I saw a nice 336SS back in December in my part of central VA. It was priced at 610 bucks I think. One of the 336SS Remlins had a canted front sight--the other had no issues that I could find. The wood to tang fit was not perfect but no large gaps existed between the receiver and stock. Still not quite a JM but much better than what I saw back in 2011.

Reactions: Pereira

·
Registered
595 Posts
The dealer that takes my G>B> buys has a remlin 30-30 SS looked good to me for $649 and 2 blued in 35 Rem. at just over $500 . WW

·
Super Moderator
13,981 Posts
Then again someone has a 1959 336 ADL in .35 listed at $1500. on there. Of course it says only 50 were made so maybe a collector will pay that but not me. The one I bought for $300. looks better to me.

·
Super Moderator
13,981 Posts
I saw a nice 336SS back in December in my part of central VA. It was priced at 610 bucks I think. One of the 336SS Remlins had a canted front sight--the other had no issues that I could find. The wood to tang fit was not perfect but no large gaps existed between the receiver and stock. Still not quite a JM but much better than what I saw back in 2011.
Or buy two of them and still be ahead price wise.

·
Super Moderator
26,091 Posts
Then again someone has a 1959 336 ADL in .35 listed at $1500. on there. Of course it says only 50 were made so maybe a collector will pay that but not me. The one I bought for $300. looks better to me.
That guy is high too--ADL models were made for years between the late '40s to early '60s. There were many more than 50 made in 1959 alone. Beware of these misinformed scam sellers. :ahhhhh:

·
Banned
2,262 Posts

Regards all,
Matthew
NO WAY JOSE! Just ask your 100 year old Grandmother...she'll tell ya:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.