Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...here I go....**Would you modify a "Like new condition"...1983 336CS, 35 Rem. Cal....?? into a "Ranch Hand"?? Any and All opinions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Or come to Canada where you cant cut a barrel past 18.5" or it becomes restricted and is treated like a hand gun. BUT you can buy a Ranch hand cuz it came that way and its fine to carry around.

O Canada the land of STUPID gun laws

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
It would be wrong for all the reasons listed plus you are messing up a real nice gun. You will be money and time ahead to just find a Ranch Hand in 357 mag. I don't have a 35 Rem but i understand you can't find ammo at just any gun store. LGS tried to sell me one in 44Mag when they came out. I asked them what the Ranch Hand could do that can't be done with my Model 29. They couldn't answer me.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
From what I gather it is also legal in Canada to put a full sized buttstock on a Ranch Hand. Seen one here someplace and it looked very nice.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ok...here I go....**Would you modify a "Like new condition"...1983 336CS, 35 Rem. Cal....?? into a "Ranch Hand"?? Any and All opinions will be appreciated.
NO

There are only so many guns of any particular model. And nice ones are not always easy to come by.
If you want a Ranch Hand just buy one and sell me your 35.

RanchHand.jpg

Mares Leg Wiki

The Mare’s Leg (aka Mare’s Laig; both sometimes spelled without the apostrophe) was the name given to a customized shortened rifle by Steve McQueen’s character on the television series Wanted: Dead or Alive (1958–1961). McQueen’s character was named Josh Randall, and the gun has also been referred to as a Winchester Randall, or a Randall Special.[SUP][2][/SUP] "Mare's leg" is now a generic term for a Winchester Model 1892 (or modern derivative) with a shortened barrel and stock.[SUP][3][/SUP]

The original Mare’s Leg was made by cutting down a .44-40 caliber Winchester Model 1892 rifle to a size that could be worn in a large leg holster and used with one hand. The barrel was cut down to a length of twelve (or possibly nine) inches,[SUP][1][/SUP] and much of the butt-stock was removed.

Reactions: gunscrewguy
1 - 14 of 14 Posts