Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy on armslist has a 1973 model 1894 octagon 44 he is wanting to trade for an 1894 in 357. I have two model 1894 357s I also have two stainless 1894 in 44 mag. I have three sons that i am collecting for. How rare is this octagon barrel 44? They can't be too rare as my brother has one he swapped for a while back? Would you trade? Why or why not?

·
Banned
1,758 Posts
Good question. If you need it all to be even, as in each kid gets the same rifles, don't do it.

Me, depending on condition, I'd do it. Not sure if they're rare, but I don't have any octagons.

Just don't kick off anytime soon, and you'll be fine. :)hmmmm:)

Brocky

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
The "Octagon" was made only in 1973 and only 2957 were manufactured. They are collectable and no more "JM's" will ever be made.
Therefore I would make the trade in a heart beat! The 1894C's are still on the market.
Jack

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
In addition to the compelling reasons provided in favor of the trade already provided, I would also make the trade... Just because it's a .44 Magnum. And, my 1894 is one of my favorite pack along rifles.

·
Registered
10,213 Posts
This is one of the toughest trade threads I've read. It is so close, that only you can make the call.

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
If the rifle is in great condition the trade is a no-brainer. The 44 can't be had very easily. The 357 can be replaced again if you still want that many of them.

·
Super Moderator
26,087 Posts
One thing to consider is--if this Marlin octagon 44 Mag rifle is basically NIB or VG+ condition--will you be satisified to leave it in the safe? If its a shooter already or you intend to shoot it anyway--then that is off of the table. Just something to think about concerning the octagon 44 Mag.

Reactions: LT

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am a shooter and a collector. That is why I like Marlins. They are fun to collect and shoot. The 357 I have never shot, I bought it last year and I am not sure if the previous owner fired it or not. This 44 looks really good in the pics. I think I will go see it in person and make a trade probably on Thursday. Should the lettering on the barrel look like it has color filled letters kind of a yellow color?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I am a shooter and a collector. That is why I like Marlins. They are fun to collect and shoot. The 357 I have never shot, I bought it last year and I am not sure if the previous owner fired it or not. This 44 looks really good in the pics. I think I will go see it in person and make a trade probably on Thursday. Should the lettering on the barrel look like it has color filled letters kind of a yellow color?
Unfired JM Marlin 1894C 357 mag?? I would hold on to that one....but that's just me...

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
As much as I like the 357 in Marlins, I'd make that trade. I believe the gold lettering was factory on that model. DP

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.