Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm in Sydney and shoot Single Action. I bought my Uberti 1873 leveraction late last year as I stayed away from Marlins due to their quality. I really want a 30-30 but I still hear bad stories about Marlin quality, although they have been improving of late.

Would you buy a NEW 336? I really want a 336SS as I have a thing for stainless steel.

·
Banned
556 Posts
Some of the very recent ones with deep blueing and good fitting wood I've found to be smooth and such. I still would equate them to an old "W". Best of luck finding a new SS.

·
Super Moderator
26,091 Posts
I would not buy a new Remlin unless you can personally check it out first. I examined a new Remlin 336SS last December--it had the misaligned barrel with the front sight canted to the right and not indexed to the rear sight. This is one of the quality issues that has plagued the new Remlins for the past few years.

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
I have, and glad I did. Inspect the individual piece you intend to buy, and buy it if it pases your inspection.

So, Yes - on condition.

Reactions: ditto1958

·
Administrator
30,586 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners.

I just handled a brand new remlin build 336SS two weeks ago and that is the first SS I have seen since Remington moved production to Illion. The clerk handed the rifle across the counter while stating they're getting better and he cycled the lever open. I took it and the fit and finish still has not improved to my liking yet. The pressed checkering was utterly depressing. The metal was finished well, sights were straight, chamber clean and then I tried to close the lever and it was locked open. I handed back to the clerk saying apparently this is not representative of *getting better* and he tried to close the lever. He finally gave up and walked it to the back room.

I did handle a 336CS that cycled very well and it was functionally sound but the stock was poorly fitted and the checkering was more like ghost checkering. Nearly non-existent.

The same with an 1895GS, just the stock was not acceptable. The later two with a custom stock would have made the rifles acceptable but I do not know how they would shoot.

In conclusion, when considering a Remlin one needs to thoroughly check each one in person. As for me, I remain purchasing JM Marlins.

Jack

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
I'd rather kiss the south end of a northbound Roo.

Want a 30-30 buy a Henry, or an older Winnie or Marlin.

I'd not trade or sell my 1949 Winnie 94, for any amount

Reactions: buckweet

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not the last one I saw a few weeks ago! the laser cut checkering on the but stock was over done, it ended up with just a series of very fine lines. Everything else looked OK though!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mate, get intouch with Bruce at Heritage Firearms, Bruce is in Sydney and does all the gun shows, he may be able to pick you up a nice JM Marlin 30-30, also check Usedguns, they have JM Marlins every now and then.
If you need Bruce's No. Pm me.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Only if I can put my hands on one to check it out.The ones I have seen the last few weeks are pretty nice but still see a lemon now and then.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I actually did just buy a new Marlin....My wife got me a 336Y. Maybe I got a good one, maybe I got lucky, or maybe I just don't know any better. At first I thought it was going to be a bomb waiting to go off, but after one little SNAFU, it turned out to be a pretty good gun. The action was a little stiff so I did a little action work myself by soothing out the lever and bolt with some 000 steel wool, but after that it seems to cycle just fine. The fit and finish all looks good, sights are lined up properly and it locks up tight....no issues other than it needs to be shot a little more. I put about a mixed box of Rem Core Locksand Winchester Power Points (both 170gr) down range with no issues.. It did take about 8 or 9 rounds to get the iron sights close to something acceptable, but after that I put 3 rounds in a 5" circle at 100yds before I started losing light. I still want to take it to my smith and have him do a proper action job for me, but all in all, I am happy with my new little gun. It has a sweet 16.25" barrel, and measures out at a comfortable 34 overall length. Here is a pic next to my Glock 22 for comparison Gun Firearm Trigger Gun barrel Air gun

Reactions: buckweet

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
The problem with trying before you buy is the gunshops don't allow you to cycle dummy rounds through it in the shop.
My favorite shops do.
If a shop won't let me check I don't deal with them.
You NEVER buy a Remlin or a Rossi pig in a poke.......they both have bad track records for a high percentage of NIB lemons.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Would you take a new Rossi Rio Grande over a new 336 instead?
Nope !
Rossi has an even higher percentage of junk NIB guns than Marlin does.
The Remlins are improving, the Rossi rifles under the BrazTech egime are getting worse.
The jungle wood stock on the RGs is totally unimpressive and I didn't like the stupid keyed hammer lock.
If a Rossi breaks BrazTech the new owner of Rossi won't sell you replacement parts.
Just sold a Rossi RG in 30-30 last week because if it breaks you can't get parts.......they're essentially throw-away guns.
I own 3 of the older Amadeo Rossi 92s but I wouldn't buy one of the newer BrazTech Rossi rifles.
Recently bought a Remlin 336C in 35 Rem..........much better gun than the Rossi RG.

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
No I would not. I hope the Freedom Group bellies up and goes Bankrupt. Maybe an ethical organization can buy Marlin and put it back on track.

Mike T.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Even the iconic Remington 700 is getting iffy. Lots of reports that some of them are going south. They still put out a nice rifle in the CDL series, but at a price.

Reactions: turbobug

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was very apprehensive about buying a Marlin given all the negative experiences being reported. Went ahead anyway and picked up a new Marlin 336 a month ago. Fit and finish is excellent, stock is beautiful, action is very smooth First time at the range, using the stock iron sights and 61 year old eyes achieved very good accuracy given I have not fired a rifle for 25 yrs!

Someone in Ilion must have taken great care putting my rifle together. Very happy new Marlin 336 owner.

Melbourne
Australia

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.