Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I say this kinda jokingly but think about it. It takes depressing the trigger guard lever to drop the barrel for loading and reloading. Yeah I know it not a true lever gun, but all in all they are fine built guns and very practical single shot guns. I once had a Thompson center and it was a very fine gun with very good accuracy. The one I had was SS and in 7MM-08. I just came across a new old model TC in 300 Winchester with the old style stocks in cammo that I like. It doesn't have all toughs plastic or rubber inserts. It also does not have the thumbhole stock that I don't like. This very well may be the perfect single shot rifle for me. As far as the big caliber, I can cheat by having it down loaded or just buy Remington's managed recoil ammo for about 32.00 a box. At 2650 MV and a 150gr. bullet, it will probably feel like a 30-30 and out perform it. The one I came across is new and can be bought for under $700.00. If I want I can always shoot regular ammo, in case I go hunt Elk Or larger game than whitetails. What do you think. I know every gun is different but I haven't read any problems with accuracy with these guns and I use to have one.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
A Contender or Encore a lever gun? Well, no, but nice try. :) For sure, very fine guns. I have four or five of each, mostly set up as pistols and a couple as modern muzzleloaders. Very typically, the pistols outshoot my bolt guns when chambered in the same cartridge. The '06 is always a good choice in any version. Those managed recoil rounds are quite pleasant to shoot, but haven't used the for hunting. The standard 125 grain factory loads - not the managed recoil loads - are also nice to shoot. Of course, the blessing/curse of the Encores is all the other barrels that you can get. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
They are superb guns. I had one for many years until it was stolen and didn't replace it due to finances. I would consider them a break action gun like a H&R or even like a Ruger #1 falling block before a lever action. I think all it needs is a good trigger job. Where the encore really shines is with large bore. 375, 444, 45-70 and up and up and the gun really shines.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I came across a CVA Apex rifle at Bass Pro a few years and like it. It felt really good as far as point ability and overall fill. However when I dropped the barrel for inspection I found it was no comparison to the Thompson Center Encore. The Thompson Encore is a superb firearm and may well be my quest.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Lever action | Define Lever action at Dictionary.com and Lever-action - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia come's pretty close. One definition excludes the Martini action. I disagree, because even though it is a single shot, the action is still opened and 'cocked' by cycling the lever. I also include falling block action's like the Sharp's, Winchester's and Ruger's because a lever is used to operate the action to expose the breech.

If operating the breech, feeding another round and 'cocking' the weapon are criteria, the Spencer would fail to meet the description as well because it is still manually cocked. The subject has been the basis of active discussion before, but sure fun to read the answer's. My outlook on the subject is of course open to debate and criticism as well and is by no mean's the final word.

oops, I would also add the Ruger action with the Martini action as it also cock's the piece being of hammerless design.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
An action that opens based on the barrel being on a hinge pin, like most double barrel shotguns (or Ithaca's single shot shootgun with under lever), or the various TCs are break actions. A Martini is a tilt block, cuz the breech block tilts to expose the action. The type of mechanism actuated and used to unlock the weapon, and allow barrel to rotate on the hinge can be various to include a lever. A lever action is defined by use of energy applied to the lever, to cock, chamber and extract a round and so on.

Reactions: Pat/Rick

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
A fine line seperates "lever action' as opposed to "lever actuated", LOL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_(firearm).But still fun to research.

Now then, if Underdog had a Marlin, and Super Chicken had a Winchester .......................

BTW, Mazer, fine collection!

"Lever Gun's", Yeah, that.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have and really enjoy my Encores. I shot two of them yesterday, great fun and accurate. They are like a disease, always snooping around for more barrels. The Contenders are just as bad, have that disease as well. The 7MM-08 has a very good reputation for accuracy and, I understand the recoil is manageable.
FM

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Encores & Contenders are Excellent firearms! I have only 1 Contender, but have 7 Encores between my dad & I.
Use the all as both rifle/handgun configuration and they are all very accurate... I also have a TCR 87 from before the Encore was introduced and it too is a shooter. The TCR 83 & 87 were dropped from production when that facility burned down at the Fox Ridge facility, but barrels can be had from custom shops like SKS, BullBerry Barrel Works and some others. Sometimes you can still find them on the auction sites. There were 2 or 3 just on GB recently. Now just a FYI, the TCR was Only a rifle configuration but it was Strong. You could get up to 458 win mag, IF it was converted to MAG from Fox Ridge.
Great guns all of them. I recommend Everyone to have at least 1 errr a Dozen!?!!! :biggrin: :congrats:

Good luck
BloodGroove4570

1 - 11 of 11 Posts