Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rifle that I first admired forty years ago and was able to purchase 10 years ago. I am an avid hunter and shooter, not a collector. That said, I had an undeniable desire to acquire and keep this one rifle. The rifle is marked, <->MARLIN FIRE'-ARMS CO. NEW-HAVEN CT. U.S.A.<-> PATENTED OCT. 11. 1887. APRIL. 2 1889. on top of the blued, octagon, 27-1/2" (muzzle to receiver) barrel. It also has .32-W. on top of the barrel just in front of the receiver. It has a blued, hooded post and bead front sight (3/8" o.d. round hood) that flips forward to raise what appears to be an 1/16" ivory bead. The rear barrel mounted sight is a buckhorn mounted on a 3-1/2" bar with a sliding ramp that has six notches for elevation. The buckhorn has a set screw on the right side and a vertically adjustable fine notch The rear tang has a peep sight mounted using the front tang screw hole. The rear tang screw is visible but the peep sight base covers any writing that might be on the tang. The peep sight is ~ 1" o.d. with a 1/32" aperture. The receiver, hammer and lever appear to be case hardened. The top 1/4" of the hammer is checked and rolls over ~ 1/8" at the top. When the hammer is cocked, the number 8 can be seen stamped in the frame. The lever has a detent latch at the rear, engages a small metal protrusion just behind the trigger and actuates a larger metal protrusion in front of the trigger. The receiver has a right side loading port and ejects out the right side. The right side has a double line border (stamped or engraved) front botton and rear with triangles stamped vertically, front and rear, beteen the border lines and scrolls stamped horizontally along the bottom between the border lines. There is nice scroll patternengraving in front and behind the loading port with one more scroll pattern closer to the rear of the receiver. The ejector slide has a repeating pattern (6 1/2 times) of scroll engraving along it's full length. The left side of the receiver has a double line border all the way around with the same stamped triangles vertically betweent the lines front and rear and the stamped scroll pattern horizontally top and bottom. The left side also has four more engraved scroll patterns with the larger two center ones wrapping around a double circle with an eight point deer inside the circles. The deer is standing in some grass and it appears there is water depicted below the deer. There is some kind of a tree behind the deer. The bottom of the receiver has one nice scroll engraved ahead of the lever just behind a screw. The Serial No. 107xxx is between the screw and the forearm leaving room for more stamped triangles between the Serial No. and the receiver. The first three digits of the Ser. No. were made with a larger stamp than the last three digits. The top of the receiver is marked < MARLIN SAFETY > and has border lines and scroll work. The rifle has a blued full length tubular magazine that extends to within 1/4" of the muzzle. The forearm is a very nice piece of wood with fine bordered checkering and a blued steel end cap. The Stock is a very nice piece of wood with an uncapped pistol grip that ends with a wave rather than flat. The neck of the stock is finely checkered extending down the pistol grip. The diamond pattern matches the forearm checkering and is also bordered. The butt plate has a circle on it with MARLIN at the top, SAFETY at the bottom and M.F.A.Co. in the center and is made out of some kind of brown plastic looking material. The rifle almost looks like it was just taken out of the box. A few very small dings in the wood, some tiny scatches in the bluing on the barrel and no visible wear or discoloration on the loading port. The butt plate has had the bottom tip broken off. The bottom butt plate screw is above the chipped portion. If this is a really old rifle, it is in amazingly great shape. If I had pictures and knew how to load them I would have sent them and saved some words. Any assistance with information about this rifle will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
719 Posts
well.....

:wink: the real experts will be back from church and driving trains etc..a little later on......but is it a 1889 32-20? look something like this:
http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/al1260.htm
:?:
looks as if you have a nice engraved rifle....better send it to me for further evaluation! :p
picture are great~ http://www.villagephotos.com
they are easy to do here..........

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Possible 1889

kaintuck, it is very similar to the photo's you sent. The profile is correct and the screws in the receiver look like they are all in the same location. Same magazine, hammer etc. Other than the grade, the only other difference I see is the buttplate and the straight vs. pistol grip. Mine has some kind of thick brown grease around the chamber and could probably use a little storage attention. Any collectors in North TX that might be willing to take a look and offer some pointers on storing without damaging?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
719 Posts
storing........

i use the old ways....RIG gun grease, inside and out slight coating, then get a gun sock from wally world for $5. i have my trapdoor and flintlock both in this RIG and they don't have rust! Brownells sells it on-line if you can't find it locally.
I wax my stocks, and there are many different waxes......i use gun oils just for the daily shooting guns....after i wipe my paw prints off... :wink:

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Jbyrd,
From your excellent description it sounds like you have a model 1889, but not just any 1889! It is a special order gun, as standard barrels were 24", and your's seems to be a 28". It is also a pistol grip, with typical "S" style grip (an option). The checkering and deluxe wood are all extras too. The engraving sounds much like Marlin #1 style, and the sights, a Lyman or Beeches globe combination front, with tang rear are also extras. The combination of all these features makes your Marlin a very special gun, and one not often encountered! What a wonderful piece to own!
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
579 Posts
It also sounds like it is a shotgun butt. Isn't that kinda rare on 1889's? moodyholler

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The length of pull is 13" (front of trigger to rear of butt plate). It seems short when it is shouldered. (But I'm kinda on the tall side) What was the standard L.O.P.? I found one web site that said the Serial N. indicates a 1894 manufacturing date, does this sound right? What are the chances of Marlin having records of special order guns?
I have looked up WS Brophy's, Marlin Firearms, I guess I will be purchasing a copy. What other useful text is available?
I also saw something about an annual show, is there a Marlin collectors show? I have to catch a plane in a little while, but will try to get some pictures next weekend and post them. Maybe more info can be determined by those of you in the know if you see it.
Thanks again for the interest and response.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Length of pull was around 13 3/8", so I'd guess your's is right in there. On special order guns, people could request a LOP to fit the individual, although it is rare to see anything other than standard, I have seen one original 1893 with a 14 1/2" LOP!
Marlin didn't use letter prefixes back in the 1889 models. If your's has an "N" prefix, I'm not sure what to think? N prefix would be on a 1856 model Marlin. Way too new for yur gun.
1894 would mostly fall into the 95,700-115,000 range, although this can vary as Marlin often held guns before assembling them, or shipping them. Dates have been known to be off a few years or more.
Marlin factory records are available for the time when your gun was made, but unfortunately Marlin kept pretty poor records. Many special order features wont show in the records. Your deluxe features such as engraving, don't ever show in records. Often times special order guns are even blank in the records info, showing nothing more than the serial number!
Marlin Collector's Assn. just had their annual meeting in KC< Kansas last month. You missed it by just weeks. It is open to all members, and guests, and held in a different city each year. Membership info is available at their web site, http://www.marlin-collectors.com
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
If you give us the serial number, with the last few digits X'd out, we can get close to what year it is.
By the way, I forgot to answer your other question. From my opinion, there is no better resource for Marlin info than Bill Brophy's book! It's not perfect, but darn close, and nothing else even comes close to it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the S/N is buried in my first description, it is 107xxx.

Why do we x out some of the digits, are there bad people out there?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the S/N is buried in my first description, it is 107xxx.

Why do we x out some of the digits, are there bad people out there?

·
Registered
719 Posts
there are always reasons to not give ALL the info on the web.....we here have even seen people from other contries, take our photos and post them on gun auction sites and try and sell them......!
and all the serial number isn't needed anyway to do a search......nebhogger and marlinman 93 are two straight fellows.....there are others here too, i am just getting to know them also..but, those two boys will give you lots of info....... :wink:

but me? welllll........you can send the rifle to me anytime, i will clean it, shoot it, slobber on it, then clean it again~ :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advice.

The only person I have shown this rifle to is a long time, very serious Winchester collector and all he could tell me was if it was a Winchester .............

I would like to drop in on someone really in the know to see what they think. I am in TX and do not know who might be closest and most reliable.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Tell him if it was a "Wrenchtester" you'd sell it and buy a Marlin like you've got. kaintuck is right about the fellers on this board I've learned alot on here. Good luck and PLEASE post some pics of that beauty.

C.S.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Jbyrd,
That serial number is right on the dividing line! The first of the model 1894 Marlins, and the last few years of the model 1889 Marlins! I'm guessing from your description you do have a model 1889, and it seems it's from around 1894, or possibly a bit later, as they sometimes delayed shipment.
I have a first year (first month) 1894 Marlin, and it too has a serial number 107xxx. The 1889's went up to about 1895, if memory serves me. I think serial numbers went up through about 120,000+.
Wish I lived a lot closer, as I'd love to see your gun; it sure sounds like a unique Marlin!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will try to get some decent pictures and post them sometime today. Not being very high tech, I don't own a digital camera, will probably have to take them with the SLR and get them put on a CD. Thanks again for the input and interest.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I'm sure we'd all enjoy seeing it! Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
marlinman93,

I got the photos but have not been able to upload them yet. The JPEG images range from 414 to 1,011 KB. I have not figured out how to compress them or upload without compression.

In the meantime I am searching around on the web for free compression software and some way to get them online. I would e-mail them to someone that knows how to upload if that is considered proper etiquette and safe.

Please offer advice if you have it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Try putting them on Photobucket, which is a free image hosting site. There you can reduce them, and play with them before posting them here.

http://photobucket.com

1 - 20 of 31 Posts