Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Beautiful terrain and one heck of a regimen too Sambane!
Thanks and not really 'luvr ... and as I said it does not control me doing other things like it would in an athletes life. As long as one keeps at it. Start up is always hard when you let things slide. I must admit being out cycling on the trail like our friend Guy here must be most enjoyable. My light effort also keeps my big dog slim and trim too. He is a Vizsla and really gets out of hand if he doesn't have his daily run... so, two birds with one stone.

One just have to have some fitness when out in the bush. IMO you are doing yourself a disfavour when hunting if you are badly out of shape.

The loves of my life ....oops! :wink:
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed

·
Premium Member
12,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Sambane - I felt pretty lucky to be able to use running as an essential part of my conditioning from about 15 - 45 or so, but somewhere in my 40's, leg pain made it more and more difficult to run.

If I'm running now, it's because I'm out of ammo and the situation is grim. :)

Guy

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Exactly. I also used to train for some of the jobs I took on. Weights a bit, but lots of swimming. In the weeks before a challenging job I would swim for at least an hour six days a week. Mostly followed by weights (Doesnt work the other way round). As with you I am sure, the investment paid off.

·
Super Moderator
15,483 Posts
Walk, run, bike, swim, lift ........anything, and any amount you can handle. Don't look at the other guy, you are different. Get with the doc, make sure there is no hidden issues (heart) then proceed with a regular regimen. Start out slow/light and build from there. Again, forget the other guy at the gym, on the trail .............we all once could do that. ;)

·
Premium Member
12,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Managed to about disable myself in early August this year, hiking hard and fast in a pair of worn out shoes. Heel spurs got inflamed, plantar fasciitis set in... Achilles tendons tightened up. UGH! I could barely walk across the room the next day. Took about six weeks off from any hiking. Managed to get barely fit enough for hunting in October.

Now I'm back up to about a 3 - 6 mile near daily walk/hike, accompanied by my dog of course. :) Have been busy snowshoeing too.

But wow - that heel spur problem really set me back! It might be time to go ahead and have the surgery, so it doesn't act up again.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Started working out again! So far, I’m into record territory.....a whole 4 weeks! Maybe I can stay with it this year! :) Push-ups (only 30, but working on more), 50 crunches....increasing, 20 minutes on the treadmill...2.7 to 3 mph @ 7 to 10% grade then 5 minutes cool down, 15 minutes on the bike Airdyne) @ 60+ rpm then a 5 minute cool down @ 40-45 rpm. Just started a set of dumb bell “preacher” curls this morning (only 20 lbs). With this age thing starting to affect me. :mad:....I’m starting out pretty easy!

Later today, I’ll get back to cleaning some fence row and removing old fence. Hopefully in March or April (when the ground thaws) I’ll get some new fence up!

Other than that, setting on my glutes a lot watching tv! memtb

Reactions: Padraig and JMAG54

·
Registered
706 Posts
Plantar fasciitis is nasty! I have found that compression socks worn night and day helps as does frequent stretching.

Padraig
Padraig, I had it pretty bad (both feet) about 12 years ago, about 10 months before a “once in a lifetime” sheep hunt! I tried several things, with no success, until a guy at work told me of these!

Within a few weeks I was much better, healed within months......”knock on wood”, haven’t returned yet! memtb

Reactions: Padraig
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.