Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's gotten quite here lately. So I'll pose a question. Does anyone have any experience with the woodsman's pal? Looks like it might be a handy tool to toss in my jeep box.

Jeepnik

G

·
I can remember 35 years ago looking in a Herters catalog and seeing them . They've been around awhile :wink: Always thought it would be nice to have one , but never got around to getting one :?

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have one. Had one a long time ago but it was the older style with it's own legs and it apparently got tired of working with me and walked off the job. The Army used to have these with an NSN you could order and used them there as well. Then I got this one with my initials and retirement date as a retirement gift. It is a tool for the fellow who likes to get things done not just swing a blade. :wink:

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I can't begin to tell how many miles of line I've brushed out as a surveyor's grunt. Do those Pals really work better then a machette? I don't survey anymore, but I always have a machette or three handy....

·
Registered
688 Posts
I like it better than a machete and it is more compact.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Might have to get one of those for the truck. Ever checked out the stuff at Onterio Knife? I really like their machettes. My latest was a little one with the 12" blade. Not as pretty as a bowie, but certainly more affordable and useful and the steel is not bad, either. 30 bucks at the Ft Lewis CSS.

G

·
The model 284 is the one I remember from Herter's catalog. And I think I remember seeing it L.L. Bean catalog in the late 60's early 70's. Just might have to have a #284 and a leather sheath .

·
Registered
688 Posts
One of our local farmers' co-ops now carries them. Both styles and both the nylong and leather sheaths.

Didn't mention this before but that hook works better for some tasks than slashing.

·
Banned
1,744 Posts
tubbythetuba said:
I can't begin to tell how many miles of line I've brushed out as a surveyor's grunt. Do those Pals really work better then a machette? I don't survey anymore, but I always have a machette or three handy....
I guess I'll post this again.

I have some experience with the Pal. I worked 2 seasons on the Olympic peninsula pruning and shaping Christmas trees right after high school. We used the Pal for the bottom branches. I would prune literally hundreds of trees a day for months at a time. One dayI left the Pal at home so I found a full handgaurd machete in the gearbox and went to work. After that I wondered why the heck we used the Pal. I didnt have to bend over as far and could generate a harder stroke with the chete. I now have a full handgaurd USMC model that I use quite a bit.

·
Registered
265 Posts
They just introduced a bill in Mass that would require you to get a permit to have a machette.

Seems the street gangs are using them to hack each other up.

Looks like I need to get me one of them Woodsman's Pals. I have a LOT of tree debris to clean up at the camp. Loggers didn't do a very good job of cleanin' up after themselves.

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
I have had the Pal for many years actually two now and they far out shine Machetes and Bolos,hook cutting Poison oak,blade end for digging in snow and dirt and blade for saplings and meat[excellent on joints}

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
well, you guys have completely confused me on which to buy :? BL

·
Banned
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The reason I originally posed the questions is that I have tried machettes, and they just didn't work well in the enviorment I frequent. Tried a large "bolo" type knife, and it worked okay, but scared the heck out of a BLM guy. He even ask me if it was legal. Go figure. The woodsman's pal has that nice brush hook that seems like it would come in handy.

Jeepnik

·
Banned
1,744 Posts
Jeepnick, the Pal may indeed work well for you.

In any event, as you know, you can never have enough tools for the job.

I may even buy one just for the memories of the time I spent with one. I found one in my friends truck recently, and it did bring back some priceless memories of working in some beautifull,rugged country and being proud of being a young strong hardworking kid.

As to my preference of the machette over the Pal, I have been known to not always follow what works for others. However I probably used one more in a month than most will in thier lives, and at roughly 400 trees a day pruned (it was piece work man, you had to hustle to make money at .30 a tree), I had a pretty good comparison to to base my preference on after using the pal for a season and a half before I switched to a machette.

I know one thing, I learned how to swing a shearing knife and a machette well enough to lop off a 6" sapling in one swing. Ok, I used to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts