Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 336y ...with laminate stock. I can buy a used birch stock with little character for around $90 which if I did I would finish in a dark cherry like stain and high gloss ...

Would you live with the laminate stock or splurge on a non descript birch replacement?

Reactions: Boobarzo

·
Banned
4,732 Posts
It depends on what you want. Walnut, laminate, and birch all scratch and ding the same. It has made me go "awe shoot" on a few occassions when a walnut stock and even a laminate gets its first nasty scar. I've appreciated birch for holding up as good or better as the others and not feeling bad about a ding at all. I'd actually like to have a stainless rifle with birch or synthetic any day. I've had many more nasty swelling cracks and slivers from walnut and laminate.

I know Marlins come in two different tones of birch too, a lighter and darker.

I'd accept the laminate for what it is and use it up.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Just to be sure, I believe your stock from the "Y" model is shorter than a standard replacement you may buy.. if that a consideration for you too? I'm not a big fan of laminate stocks, so your idea seems fine to me, and a fun project. That or a walnut set actually. You can always change 'em back... Good luck to you.

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
I have a new 336y ...with laminate stock. I can buy a used birch stock with little character for around $90 which if I did I would finish in a dark cherry like stain and high gloss ...

Would you live with the laminate stock or splurge on a non descript birch replacement?
Niether,I would get Walnut.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I think its because I have built up rifles and spent a lot of time making them pretty that I just do not give a rats tail what a stock is made out of anymore. I can even live with the plastic stocks and see some advantage in them. Laminated stocks are supposed to warp less and be more weather proof than plain wood. They are better than plain birch. Again, while walnut is definitely nicer looking utility wise a laminate is as good as any.

DEP

·
Super Moderator
16,877 Posts
One thing to consider is that the 336Y has a shorter forearm than other models, so you are pretty limited.
Nothing a little bit of woodworking and patience couldn't handle. I did up a 30TK in walnut from a pistol grip standard walnut set and turned it into a straight grip complete with re-worked forearm to match. Mr fixit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.