Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rifle like this...the metal just came back from being refinished ..looks awesome....does anyone have or know where I can get wood of this type and finish ...my gun is from 1960 and its original wood took a beating but I'd like it to appear as natural and true to its age as the gun in the pic..P.S.--I borrowed this pic from another thread so please don't think less of me

Attachments

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another note...I need the buttstock worse than the forend and hopefully complete with the bullseye and buttplate etc. ...thanks to anyone who can help or point me in the right direction 8)

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
What about taking the stock off and refinishing it yourself? Some great threads on here to help. Do a search, Eli Chaps (Erik) has posted some super step-by-step threads.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
There are a couple of stock sets on Ebay now. There's a stock only but it's a pistol grip. Why not refinish the stock you have?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would try to refinish it but it looks like the first owner attempted it and now it has dimples wher he tried sanding out dents...plus,..anymore sanding in a lot of places are going to make it dip below the metal it butts against...I just may keep an eye out for awhile...if I can I'll put up some decently clear photos so y'all can see the worst areas and get your take on if it can be salvaged

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Cal;
Are you quite sure those are sanding pits..or could they be compression dents. When you explained, it reminded me how years ago I had pulled dents out of old milsurp stocks by steaming them.
Here is a video I found on youtube.com showing the "how to" .... if they happen to be handling (or mishandling) dents..this should fix it !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_Z_h76Sd1w

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Steaming out dents works well. It's the only thing my wifes iron ever gets used for. ;D

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Is this one exactly like yours? This one in the pic looks to have a short forend. Stumbling onto one of those might take awhile. Any straight grip butstock should fit. But theyre not shaped exactly like that any more.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys..Im planning to search and scrounge to find an original old one..if I dont turn up anything I may just send the gun out for some fancier new wood to a pro wood guy like Macon...Bobs Gun Shop has my name if he gets anything in

1 - 12 of 12 Posts