Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all , anyone out there tell me best way to clean old hand oil stains off a stock , and reapply oil finish . I don't want too sand the wood I just want to clean it and keep the wood from drying out and let the grain show through . Thanks , Greg

·
Registered
217 Posts
I use Murphy's Oil Soap to clean the wood first. Let it dry for a couple of days and wipe on a few coats of tung oil. Be sure you buff out the tung oil after each coat before it has a chance to dry. You should only need two or three coats to give it a nice luster and protect the wood.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
As far as Murphys, go easy, a little goes a long way. One can soak out near every oil in the wood, and it can come out looking like a yellow sheet. Ask me how I know this.:biggrin:

Depending on how bad, , the old method was to use common flour and lacquer thinner paste, which can be a new lesson in stick to itenvess. :biggrin: I have heard of guys using spray on oven cleaner for the really bad ones.

A common old dish soap mix with water on a rag or sponge can do a lot of good. Like ANY gun cleaning or attempts at restoration, use a judicious hand and let patience be the guide.

Reactions: Joe Baca and toad67

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Once you get the oil stains out and the wood is completely DRY, I recommend getting Renaissance Wax/Polish. Midway USA and Brownell carry it. It can be used on wood AND metal without concern. It is a clear creamy paste wax and will not discolor the wood. Apply a thin coat, allow to dry and buff with a clean cotton cloth. It doesn't matter if the wood has a satin or gloss finish, this wax improves the appearance. Last night I used it on a satin finish Marlin that is almost 50 years old. After buffing it out, the wood had a nice soft shine, quite natural and a big improvement. Whats more after it dries and is buffed out you can handle the wood without leaving finger prints on the stock.

Museums and jewelers use this product for fine, high quality items. A 200 ML jar is abut $25.00 but it is well worth the price.

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Tung oil can sometimes react to old finishes, and oils in the wood. If it does, the tung oil will turn sticky, and never dry. I love Old West Snake Oil myself. I keep a rag dampened with it, and wipe both metal and wood down with it. It gives a nice sheen, and I've never had any ill effects on old stocks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts