Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired an old Glenfield Model 30 (336 in 30-30 with light birch wood stocks). I wonder if this tecnique would work well on a gun stock? I'm thinking scorched, wire brushed, reddish brown stain to give the bland wood some color and life, then maybe boiled linseed or tru oil, with a coat of wax to top it all off. Video is about 7 minutes, or one beer or cup of coffee depending on the time of day you're watching.

What do you think? (I could also see doing green for a camo effect, but want to keep it looking traditional, just trying to bring out some grain where there isn't much present).

Reactions: Maineiac

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Birch doesn't have much grain to start with, so I wouldn't expect too dramatic of a change.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The Sugi finish CAN be pretty attractive, was made famous by Hal Hartley back in the 50's and 60's. Hartley liked working in maple for his custom stocks and would often use this type of finish to bring out a little color and grain. You might want to consider using Aqua Fortis to give any contrasting figure a three dimensional effect, followed by a spirit based stain. The spirit stains penetrate much better, especially on denser woods like maple, and often yellow birch like your stock. Or you could follow in the steps of the 19th century rifle maker Henry Leman and use a spirit stain to paint in fiddleback, then use a lighter stain for the general reddish tone of his rifles. Might want to check out some muzzle gun building sites for info on using dense, light colored woods.

·
Super Moderator
9,308 Posts
The Walnut water based stain that is made by Birchwood Casey works well and really penetrates the Birch. Have you tried this stain yet ?? I use it on all of my white wood when I need a good Walnut look. It won't smear or get lighter when you use oil or petroleum based finishes on the stock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts