Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright Anna. Tell me what to do. I have been planning a hunt for water buffalo for 2 years and my wifes vacation is going to fall in the time frame for the hunt. Being the sensitive cut up that I am I thought it was a good idea to combine a aniversary trip along with the buff hunt. Now my wife has expressed that she is not very happy about me me chasing these critters around and expecting her to enjoy the trip. I'll do what I have to to keep her happy. 21 years of marraige and mostly good. Do I scrap the hunt for this year (for the second time) and go sightseeing or do I try to convince her that Buffalo hunting is really romantic? :? reflex264

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
reflex264,
You didn't say where the hunt is but I bet there is some sightseeing she could do while you hunt or there might be a shopping mall not to far away.

I wanted to go to a beautiful state park in WV, she didn't, till I told her that there was a mall nearby (it's really a second-hand store run by my cousin) she went and found all kinds of nic-nacs. Now she says lets go to Lost River for vacation, like they say WV almost heaven. :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I think if I had a hunt booked for 2 years I'd expect alot more understanding. Me & my wife go on different vacations sometimes. I go more than she does, mostly cuz I'm just way more active than she is but she's been to canada twice while I was hunting & shes been to Buffalo NY a few times & took the little kid to the Niagra falls. We do alot together too but since we have some differing interests we've learned to just deal with it when circumstances dont permit a joint venture. :)
I wont ask her to climb all over creation to sit in the rain & try & catch a fish or kill something & she doesnt ask me to drive across the north east to see some band nobodies ever heard of. :lol:

Now I dont know where your gonna find a waterbuffalo but its likely a thing that took some arangeing & such & I think I'd be going & if she wanted to go with me I'd certainly be happier but I'd understand if she wanted to go to a tupperware party instead. :wink:

This likely aint the perspective you were looking for but its all I got.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Being the sensitive cut up that I am I thought it was a good idea to combine a aniversary trip along with the buff hunt. Now my wife has expressed that she is not very happy about me me chasing these critters around and expecting her to enjoy the trip.

I was just wondering, Reflex, how it was you intended to combine the anniversary with the buffalo hunt? Has she gone hunting with you before? I mean, some women dig that sort of thing, but to me taking an outdoors excursion and going hunting for an animal can hardly be a combined enjoyable experience for a couple. Yes, I was on a deer hunt once, but I was neither holding the gun nor packing the deer, and I feel sorry for those poor beautiful creatures being sought for freezer meat!

I'd say a compromise is in order, to keep a happy marriage happy, and ask her to pow-wow with you about it.

Your part: Spend some time with her, I mean a big chunk of uninterrupted time. Run her a candlelight bath, buy her flowers, don't let her get near a stove or a sink, and by all means go with her to do something she wants to do, maybe an art gallery or a play, or something a women expects to do with her partner.

Her part: Send you off on your hunting trip, all by your lonesome, or with your buddy, or whatever, with her blessing! She loves to know her man is going to be happy out there enjoying himself --- GUILT FREE~~~~~~~~

Don't listen to me, though, I don't know a damn thing about partnerships :roll:

Where the heck is Anna, BTW? This is just the kinda question I'd like to see her answer to!

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have this brilliant plan in my head that works perfect. The hunt is in Florida. The lodge is very nice with quarters suitable for my sweety. What I intended to do was go do the hunt. This would take about two days or one if I'm lucky the first day. while my meat is being processed we drive on down to St Augustine which she is very interested in. After sightseeing down there for 4 or 5 days ( I love history) we would ride back up to Okachobee and pick up the meat and cape. What I did (big mistake) was let her watch some videos of these critters where there was a close call or two. Makes great watching but not if she thanks I am going to get trampled. If I press the issue she will do what I ask of her but now I'm questioning if its worth it in the long run. I haven't booked yet but have to soon to get the dates I need. It scared her when I went hog hunting with a bow. We had a friend nearly get messed up by a hog that didn't know what retreat meens. I carried a .44 on my side to convince her that I wouldn't get ate up by the boogy hog. I have been thinking of a compromise for now such as a bison hunt. They don't seem to scare her as bad. I usually have a good comeback but this time I don't. I got her to go deer hunting one time. Hunting is a way of life at our house. We eat somewhere around 12-15 deer a year. I have come home with hundreds of deer since we got married and she loves to eat it and helps butcher and pack but she doesn't have any desire to go chase deer and she isn't afraid of them. A few years ago I was planning a Safari in RSA. Health problems brought that trip to a halt after all the preparations were already made. She was much less troubled over that trip than this one. I guess I'll sleep on it. reflex264

·
Registered
670 Posts
reflex264,
It's difficult to give you a definite answer because there
are so many variables involved. One thing I would do
in the future is not to plan such a trip at anniversary
time, especially w/o getting her thoughts first. Have
you talked to her re: your 'brilliant plan'? As long as
she has something enjoyable nearby to do while you're
hunting those 1-2 days, then you go on to St.Augustine
together, seems like a fair deal to me...but I'm not
your wife. If you've been married for 21 years, and
things are good, I'm sure the two of you can work it
out. Good luck and let me know how things go. :)

Annabelle

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Maybe she's worried you don't have enough life insurance :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Uncle Big Trouble Mike said:
Maybe she's worried you don't have enough life insurance :lol: :wink: :lol: :wink:
My thoughts exactly. :D Especialy after she watched a video of one soaking up 2 500gr trophy bonded bear claws and 4 solids from a .470 nitro. :shock:

In reality the owners tell me that a well placed first shot generaly puts them down pretty quick. :D They also told me that a bad first shot was not a good thing. :shock: reflex264

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ANNABELLE said:
reflex264,
It's difficult to give you a definite answer because there
are so many variables involved. One thing I would do
in the future is not to plan such a trip at anniversary
time, especially w/o getting her thoughts first. Have
you talked to her re: your 'brilliant plan'? As long as
she has something enjoyable nearby to do while you're
hunting those 1-2 days, then you go on to St.Augustine
together, seems like a fair deal to me...but I'm not
your wife. If you've been married for 21 years, and
things are good, I'm sure the two of you can work it
out. Good luck and let me know how things go. :)

Annabelle
You know how woman are........ :D At first she thought is a way to get away from her for a few days. I convinced her that is was not and that she was more than welcome to come along.I explained that it was a very important ammo test (being serious) and I was going to get to write it off taxes. I thought everything was fine. She seemed to like the idea. I started gathering info so I wouldn't be going into it blind. This required watching video of Water buff and cape buff hunts as well as a video of a cape buff hunt with a 45-70. She watched as I did. There were so many hunter mistakes in some of these it was pitiful. One video the hunter carrying a Kodiak double 45-70 talked his guide into letting him use it with 405 Rem factory loads. The poor buff had so many holes in it by the time it was over that I was routing for the buff. The second shot he fired is visable on the video and does nothing more than skin the buff's back. All she sees are big black mean cows that don't fall down. She knows I can shoot and have enough nerve to stand and shoot. It doesn't seem to matter. I have even explained the use of terrible ammo and shown her what mine does vs the Rem 405 but she still has this thing about me getting trampled. I don't feel like I rushed it or rushed into it. I started to go last year and the best laid plans of mice and men got me. I have learned a valuble lesson. Nothing mixes with an anniversary! :D If she reads this I'm dead. She probably wont because she only sees this forum when she is here and I'm on it. 8) reflex264

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well we talked today and I have no idea what we decided. I asked her point blank about whether or not she wanted me to go buff hunting. She said with the typical underlying menacing female political overtone "I don't mind you hunting them, I just don't want you trampled" and immediatly she brought up the videos. She is working out of town tonight and tommarow. Thats why I'm typing again. I told her that I came back in one piece from the hog hunt with the bow to which she replied "yes but you had to run from one that was after you" . Should have never told her about that. I asked her if she would be more comfortable with a bison hunt. Things got confusing from there on. Still at square one. reflex264

·
Registered
670 Posts
reflex264,
Will you be hunting in a group where there are other hunters
around or will you be the only person on the hunt? Also, how
old are you? If you're 'gettin on up there' and don't hear, see
or move as well as you used to, that could add to her fears.
I can understand her anxiety about the hunt; she's worried
because she loves you and wants no harm to come to you.
On the other hand, she should know whether you're a very
responsible hunter and not get so freaked out that it causes
you to miss the hunt. IMO, she should let you do this without
any residual hurt feelings and let you enjoy the hunt while
she enjoys doing something herself while you're hunting; then
the two of you can spend quality time together when you
go to St. Augustine. Hope it works out for both of you.

Anna

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would be hunting with a PH that will be carrying a .458 and sometimes he has one of his ranch hands as added backup with another .458 . Generaly the only time he gets the extra man is when a wounded buff make it to the swamp. I can still hear very good and as long as I have my glasses or good optics (the rifle I would carry will have good optics) I have no problems with sight. I can still move when I have to it just hurts more than it used to. :D :D . when the hog came after me I found out I was a world class sprinter as long as tusks were popping behind me. :D . reflex264

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Probably hard for that Hog to run with all that crap he was slipping and slidding in :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Uncle Big Trouble Mike said:
Probably hard for that Hog to run with all that crap he was slipping and slidding in :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I posted a pic of the hog on the big bore forum under meanest critters. You can see all the arrows sticking out of him. :shock: reflex264

·
Registered
670 Posts
try this

reflex264,

Maybe if you do some research on the web and find info on
fun stuff she'd enjoy while you're hunting and for later
when you're together; then when you're both in a calm mode,
sit down with her and explain how much the hunting trip AND
the rest of the trip together means to you. Tell her there will
be others who are experienced with you so it's not just you
and the buff. Then show her the stuff you found for the two
of you to do. This should make her feel that you do care
about her and make her feel involved. Let me know how it
goes down.

Good Luck,
Anna

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No discussion today whether good or bad I can't say. I will say one thing. She has stuck by me in thick and thin. Wouldn't trade her for a sackful of wives. :D . I don't see a way to pull it of without causing friction. I can't complain though. She has never said a word when I come in with another gun or even a 4x4. I'm not talking about 5 or 6 guns. I don't know right this second but it is closer to 50 or 60 guns. Thats an understanding wife if there ever was one. reflex264

1 - 16 of 16 Posts