Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been covered before but I'm new to the forum and couldn't find a related thread.

Has anybody installed the Wolff reduced power hammer spring for Marlin lever actions?

Midway has them for $6.99. Reviews are OK except for rimfire applications.

If you do get misfires it seems like that is easily cured by adding a washer or two.

My application will be on two JM marlin 1894's in .38/.357. A his and her's deal. :)

Comments?

·
Premium Member
7,766 Posts
I put one on my 336W in 30-30 I have had NO misfires. also installed the ww trigger

Reactions: Blaine and joel lee

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wolff Hammer Spring

Guys has the reduced hammer spring improved your accuracy? I'm looking online research before I do anything. I have the WW Happy Trigger installed already.

·
Administrator
23,784 Posts
More often a stiffer hammer spring will make accuracy better.

I've found with the reduced hammer springs accuracy and reliable primer ignition will require a one piece firing pin. Them you can get at www.longhunt.com

You can also get reduced springs through them. Titanium one piece firing pins also. Few other items for Marlins.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
yept....used them.......quick fix & easy job......

Reactions: Blaine

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
I have one in my Remlin 1894 44 mag.
I didn't shoot it a lot, bench rest, before I installed it, so I don't know if it hurt the accuracy or not.
My rife came with a pretty sweet trigger from the factory, no perceptible pre-travel, no creep, clean brake.
It lightened the trigger further, somewhat.
The most noticeable thing was a much lighter ejection/ cocking effort.
My daughter thinks that it was a tremendous improvement.
It shoots less than 2 MOA, maybe 1-1/2, as much as I can tell because I've not shot targets with it enough to know for sure.
(I'm too busy exploding plastic containers of water, and laughing like a little boy)
I have thought about doing some bench rest testing, with and without the lighter spring, but I haven't gotten to it because of Winter.
For what they cost, it's pretty much a no-brainer, and, if nothing else, you'll have an extra hammer spring in case you need one.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Product # 841-511 at Midway USA..........in stock today....

5-20-16..........get 'em while you can

Reactions: Blaine

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
Well, it certainly looks like a YMMV thing.
To me, if you're ordering something else from Midway anyway, you might as well throw one in the cart and try it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I realize this is years old, but I have used Wolff springs in my 1894SS which I use in competition as a a Cowboy Mounted Shooter... I used two different spring kits from Wolff and another company to get the best results. Also once I changed the main spring I had miss fires as this is common when you do this. I ended up changing the 2 piece firing pin and going with a 1 piece model, problem solved. I polished all the parts that touch and move. My action works like butter and I have run hundreds of blank rounds through it with no jams. Incredible rifle for mounted shooting!!

·
Banned
4,647 Posts
I bought and installed one in my Winchester Trapper. It didn't change things much, so I took it out, cut 1/4" off of it, and put it back in. Much better! So I've done the same to my Marlin's and Rossi's, cut the springs off.

All of them were a lot stronger than they actually needed to be, and that makes lever cycling much stiffer. Helps a LOT with cycling and trigger pull, IMO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts