Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in N. Idaho, and we have a wolf season this year! My friends and I are planning to work pretty hard on them this winter. The season runs from Aug 30 to March 31. Does anyone here have experience hunting wolves? I sure would appreciate any tips or advise.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I have your Southern Back. Picked up a Tag myself. Spoke with a Idaho F&G Wolf Tagger/Counter during the spring. He stated that if I find the elk herd the wolves are close by. So I have been out scoutin'... Between Fires, the heat and 4 wheelers, Elk have been a bit scarce in the early morning hours....I haven't gone back deep enough as of yet because so many roads down here have been closed by the USFS and hiking in the high country in the upper 80's is not concurrent with a good time...LOL

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
I have a wolf tag also. 8)
Until someone comes up with a call or baiting set-up that works, for me, the wolf is a target of opportunity…

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am by no means an expert on wolf hunting but what has worked for me is to howl them up to locate them first. I find wolves will readily respond to howling. I'll set up in their local and use a fawn distress call, only thing is I've had bears and coyotes come into the call looking for an easy meal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MG- Are you using an electronic call? If so, what brand? Have you had wolves come into the fawn distress call? What distance were your shots?

·
Registered
45 Posts
blankmeyer said:
MG- Are you using an electronic call? If so, what brand? Have you had wolves come into the fawn distress call? What distance were your shots?
Just using my voice, a deep long howl. I've had two wolves come into the fawn distress call, both times they approached from behind me. I got busted on those two and got no shot, less than a hundred yards. I called one in for my nephew two years ago with the same call. He came to us again from behind and we let him get to within fifty yards and busted him. Last year I had a big aggressive black bear come in too close for comfort, that one kinda scared me. I made my presence known and he wouldn't leave and kept approaching me. At fifty yards I shot a stump in front of him and that stopped him. If I had had a tag I would have killed him, he was a big bear.

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
If we had wolves,and if I had a tag.Id find sign,bait it if I could and use mouth calls.You boys be sure and let us know how it goes,the good and the bad.And good luck to everone.What a deal,,,,Wish I was with ya.I love my predator hunting.
Gunrunner,,
Help preserve wolves...Take one to the taxidermist !!!

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I will try and get you some information or at least the calls to get, much like hunting coyotes and like Randy said look for sign. Another thing to do is look for fresh kills and listen for them at night and get as close to that area as possible.

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
Maybe a roadkill deer,or two for bait.If its allowed.With a good blind set up a hundred yards or more away.Be neat to out Fox the smartest predator..

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Here in Michigan the wolves are still protected, even though they have become quite a problem in the UP with a dramatic effect on the whitetail herd. Although we can't hunt them, we certainly have had plenty of encounters.

If baiting is legal...we've found they are drawn to beaver castor just as effectively as black bears are.

If baiting is not an option and you give calling a shot...try fox, coyote, or puppy yips and barks. Wolves will attempt to kill any other canines in their territory, as a number of hound hunters in northern WI and MI have discovered the hard way.

Roe

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MG- Any thoughts on why those two came in from behind, were they trying to get downwind of you, or just bad luck?
Where do you hunt wolves?

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
blankmeyer said:
Rowdy- I'm also in CdA. Where do you shoot?
blankmeyer – I shoot at the Atlas range. ;D

http://cdarpc.org/

I try to go on Fridays but don’t always make it this time of year, when it’s busy with sight-ins for the upcoming hunting seasons. Let me know when you’re going.

Roe – I have seen a marked decrease in the # of outfitters/guides that run hounds here on black bear/cougars for the same reason... Its one thing to lose one dog, but to lose your whole pack of six dogs to wolves, gets spendy real quick. :eek:

If it is real - About 30 mi S of us in St. Maries – 2 yrs ago when the season was open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3eLCzcTCtk&feature=related

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rowdy- Thanks for the link to that range. I will definitely check it out. What calibers do you shoot? Maybe we can meet there sometime.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Barenjager said:
Wolves will attempt to kill any other canines in their territory, as a number of hound hunters in northern WI and MI have discovered the hard way.

Roe
Amen,,,, Many of the hound hunters up here have just quit due to the Wolves.
Some have even resorted to going out of state for crying out loud.
Me, I just stay down in the drainages and chase Bobcat with my Curs.

Since we have tags again this year and are now allowed to use ecectronic calls, I'm looking for a recording of baying hounds to put on my FoxPro. Untill I can find one I'll stick with Fawn Bleats on a Dan Thompson and hope for the best.

Our season starts Tues.
I'll be in camp on Monday. ;)

Charlie

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Good luck to you Charlie, and if you want you can jump over the border and practice calling and shooting them here.

·
Registered
578 Posts
janott said:
Good luck to you Charlie, and if you want you can jump over the border and practice calling and shooting them here.
Thanks for the invite buddy, but doesn't your season start NEXT month? ha
Ya know,,, I've read some books written by the old Wolfers. Even though they were hired by the USGS to eliminate the Wolf, they all seemed to have a real respect for the beast (even Homer Pickens who trapped the last Wolf in NM said he missed hearing their howl up in the high country) which I can understand.
I actually wouldn't mind having a few around if they were properly managed so that we could hunt em once in a while. Unfortunately, just like everything else the frikin gubment touches, it's turned into a complete cluster.
Heck, folks around here have gone from the three S's to simply killing em on sight and then going down to the bar and bragging about it. Pretty much,,,, "to he11 with the government",,, and who can blame em?

Oh well,,,, that's a whole different thread. All I know is that I'm headed to the woods for a week of Grouse hunting with my dogs and fly fishing, and plan to do a little calling while I'm at it. If I get lucky, so be it. If not, I'll eat Grouse and maybe a couple of fresh Trout for breakfast. ;D

Take care buddy.
Charlie

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Charlie,
Yeah our season starts but it doesn't end and we have no limits or licences. ;) ;D Good luck to you this weekend grouse hunting, I love to eat them birds. Be safe and enjoy your fish too.

Joe

1 - 20 of 52 Posts