Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed a new lever spring for my 1881 and a new ejector for my 38-40 1894 and I say Wisners gets it done. Service and speedy delivery and they got my irons back in the running in no time flat. All I can say is WOW. FWIW, moodyholler

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
THATS GOOD TO KNOW MOODY. I SHOOT MY 1881 QUITE A BIT AND AM ALWAYS WORRIED ABOUT BREAKING SOMETHING ALTHOUGH SO FAR SO GOOD.

GEOFF

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I've always had better luck with Wisners, than almost any of the other suppliers. Good people, with good parts and service!
Welcome back Geoff! Guess the crops must be in, or you wouldn't have time to return!? :D

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
THANKS FOR THE WELCOME BACK MM93.

GEEZ IT'S BEEN FOREVER SINCE I'VE EVEN CHECKED IN. WE ARE ABOUT 65% DONE WITH HARVEST SO WE ARE STILL BUSY BUT THE DAYS ARE SHORTER AND THE IRRIGATION REQUIREMENTS ARE MUCH LESS.

COULD YOU PLEASE ELABORATE ON THE DEMISE OF LIBERTY BULLETS. I WAS VERY SAD TO HEAR ABOUT THAT SINCE THEY WERE THE ONES THAT YOU SUGGESTED I HAVE CUSTOM MAKE .406 BULLETS FOR MY 1881. I BOUGHT 2 ORDERS OF THEM AND WHEN THESE ARE GONE I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'LL DO. THE MADE THEM WITH A 1:24 MIX AND THAT WORKED REALLY WELL. GREAT SERVICE THEY GAVE AND I HATE TO SEE THEM OUT OF BUSINESS.

WELL I'M ENJOYING GETTING CAUGHT UP. DEER SEASON OPENS SATURDAY!

GEOFF

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
The husband and wife owners of Liberty decided to retire and tried to sell the business. They had no problem getting interested buyers, and offers, but they wanted to keep things going with the same quality they had always given.
After interviewing potential buyers, they felt it just wouldn't be the same, and didn't want to disappoint the customers, so they just closed their doors.
Much of what Liberty cast was done on a non-production basis, especially as it pertained to oddball calibers. Some was cast from original old Ideal 1 or 2 cavity molds, just like most of us use. Very time consuming, but they didn't charge for the extra effort. It's easy to see why prospective buyers didn't want to go their route, but I sure wish they could have kept going.
I'll sure miss them too! I bought bullets for my .44 Sharps, 1881 .40-60, .25-21 Stevens, and numerous others too. They were great people, and sold a quality product at reasonable prices!

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
ON THE GOOD SIDE, A BUDDY OF MINE FOUND THE RCBS MOULD THAT THE OLD BOY THAT I BOUGHT THE 1881 FROM USED FOR HIS BULLETS. NOW ALL I HAVE TO DO THIS WINTER IS LEARN HOW TO CAST MY OWN. NEVER DONE IT MUCH.

I'VE GOT TO TELL YOU GUYS SINCE I HAVEN'T BEEN ON MO FOR A LONG TIME IT WAS HYSTERICALLY FUNNY TO READ THAT THREAD ABOUT THE GUY OFFERING HIS 1895 COWBOY FOR $650 AND THE BUFFALO GUY JUMPING ALL OVER HIM. TO READ IT ALL AT ONCE WAS ENTERTAINING TO THE FULLEST. YOU GUYS SURE DO HAVE TALENT FOR PUTTING A GUY IN HIS PLACE IN A HUMOROUS WAY.

BACK OUT TO UNLOAD A TRUCKLOAD OF EMPTIES AND LOAD IT AGAIN FOR THE MORNING. EAT SOME WA STATE APPLES AND PEARS TO HELP US HAVE A PROFITABLE YEAR!

GEOFF

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wisner is great, but I hope they get some of their ideas into actual production. They have plans to do 1894 original loading gates and all the screws for the Marlin levers, as well as bolts and carriers for the old 1897's and such. They are busier than they can even handle, as I needed a 1894 firing pin with the large (black powder) size tip in the October of 2004. I waited until about August of this year and they still hadn't made a run of them, so I had one made by a good machinist. I bought several when they used to have them in stock, but I don't blame them for running out as they were the only source for them.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
It's a small family operation, so they work pretty hard to keep up, without hiring outside help. I'm waiting for those Marlin screws too! We need another good source for screws that will deliver fast, and keep a good stock!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts