Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody

First post, just found the site and have been hunting around for information, so forgive me if the answer has elluded me on a "search" of this forum. I'm a little alarmed having just learned of the closure of the New Haven plant, ownership by Remington and move to New York, so I am looking for some opinions or encouragement.

I've had the 1894C .357 on my short list for several years, was actively looking for the last year in southern california gun shops, and made a quick internet search last month to no avail. I finally called Marlin and was told if 1894C production mirrors last years output, they should start production again in March/April. So I walked into my neighborhood gun shop and placed a deposit on a blued 1894C .357 to get in line with their distributor.

NOW knowing that I am garuanteed a Remington N.Y. manufactured rifle, did I shoot myself in the foot or is it too soon to tell?

How many people here have taken ownership of a REM marlin in the last year and find it truly awful? I've read the walnut furniture is not comparable and workers are not properly trained, etc.

Is it wishful thinking to believe with all the negative feedback, Remington may take extra precaution to insure these first production batches meet higher quality control. Anyone know if all New Haven parts have been exhausted? Any chance with Remington starting a new serial code system, I may receive something that may turn into a collectible down the road . . .

Fingers crossed, just losing some sleep over my deposit, again opinions and encouragement welcome.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Welcome to the forums ls ...

I'm not sure how your gunshop handles deposits, gun orders, etc but I certainly hope they will let you inspect the rifle before you accept it. Are you locked in to a purchase if you do not like the rifle? Is the deposit refundable in this situation?

My intention is not to scare you away from Marlins because there are millions (?) of high quality Marlin rifles in the public domain. There are many justifiable concerns over the Marlins rolling out of the plants for some time now. I saw my first NY Marlin about a week ago and my stomach still hasn't settled down. One solution for you is what Scott already told you, look on gunbroker.com for an 1894C. I have had several great experiences buying rifles and revolvers there and wouldn't hesitate to do so again.

Good luck ...

bjm

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
I bought both my Marlins over the counter so was able to look at exactly what I was buying. That was for guns made before the plant closure. I am not sure I'd even be interested in a Remlin unless I start hearing something good coming soon! I have and will again order online new Rugers, and I even bought a Henry 22 thru Gun Genie and it was gorgeous, but I don't do well with customer service, and my money doesn't grow on trees so Remlins through the net are a no no for me.. YMMV!

·
Premium Member
6,022 Posts
I wouldn't loose sleep over a brand new run of 1884C 357 mag. if I were you. I would thank that Remington is capable of producing a rifle. Yes even a Marlin lever action rifle. I will be surprised if they couldn't. Remington is the oldest gun maker in the USA. I can't believe that Remington would spend 47. million dollars to buy Marlin just to produce inferior Marlin rifle.

TO NY

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
My buddy has a new 1894 in 357 mag on his rack in his gun shop and I took it off the rack and levered it and the lever stuck in the open position. It has rem marked on it and the dotted code under the hammer. I about halfway panicked thinking shit I have tore up his new gun. I told him about it and after some time he got it closed and worked it a few times real fast and although rough it functioned. Whatever happened to the Marlin you could pull off the rack and the lever was smooth and functional.

Regards
Horseshoe

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
1895Gunner said:
Welcome to MO from central Florida. We are all waiting to see how the new Remington/Marlins will turn out. You can buy an original 1894C on Gun Broker if that is what you're looking for.
Sorry about the last reply, er, non-reply. Welcome indeed. Ditto on Gun Broker! Can you get that deposit back? I'm sure the dealer can cancel the order. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies/welcomes

Took a look at the gun broker listings, but at $600 for a used gun + shipping + transfer fees, kinda stings.
I was priced out at $580 for a new one and put $200 down which in the event of a change in mind converts into store credit. Any rifle coming in I would inspect and can refuse, however the time for a replacement to come in would probably be unacceptable.

These terms I went in with eyes open, placed the order specifically with a larger chain gun store here in Southern California (9 storefronts or so) over a smaller boutique store on my personal theory the store would have more weight with the distributor to get the rifle faster.

Seemed like an average price for a new rifle was $550 on this forum, so paying a $30 premium here in California seems about right.

Funny thing is, store actually had a Marlin 1894C .44mag on the shelf and I have not seen any Marlin levers in a long time. From a distance it had ugly wood, but it cycled fine. I'm going to try and go back this weekend and see if its still there to check it out closer for a REM proof mark.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
I would probably lose sleep over it. give rem a year or so to figure it out. The proofs in the pudding and most of the pudding out so far is spoiled ;D

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Well howdy, welcome again to MO and especially to a fellow Southern Californian. Apparently we are few and far between in MO. So Cal for it's HUGH population and geographic size and lack of easily accessable hunting seem to be a difficult area to find Marlins, except for run of the mill 30-30's. I have four rifles right now and only one has been purchased locally. Are you buying through Turners? Where?

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Maybe they'll have tightened up the quality by the time they start producing 1894Cs. The people they have making them are all new hire as none of the Marlin workers made the move to NY. Hope it works out for you.

Oh... almost forgot... Welcome to Marlin Owners.

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Welcome to MO's from North Carolina. While I have seen many bad REP Marlins lately at Dicks and local gun shows let me say that I just purchased a brand new PRE-SHUTDOWN Marlin 1894CSS .357 Magnum just this past week and it is perfect in every way. This gun came to my gunshop/dealer from the Distributor so there are still some originals available. When I asked to find me a 1894CSS he placed an order and three weeks ago he received an 1894C (Cowboy) Blued with the long octagon barrel. I looked at it and it was perfect but I wanted the stainless CSS. He put it on the shelf and sold it within the week. Two weeks later my CSS arrived. My dealer does not require a down payment to order guns and any buyer ALWAYS has the right of refusal, no questions asked.

All but the bottom CSS came from the dealer within the last year -
336SS .30-30
1894SS .44Magnum
1895GS .45-70
1894CSS .357 Magnum
1894CSS .357 Magnum
:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AINT NO FISH said:
Well howdy, welcome again to MO and especially to a fellow Southern Californian. Apparently we are few and far between in MO. So Cal for it's HUGH population and geographic size and lack of easily accessable hunting seem to be a difficult area to find Marlins, except for run of the mill 30-30's. I have four rifles right now and only one has been purchased locally. Are you buying through Turners? Where?
Hello,

Yes, I am purchasing from Turners - they actually show a stocking number from their distributor and will allow for a 30% deposit for ordering, although I had to go to two stores before a manager approved their modest law enforcement discount for me.

I went back to Chino Hills Turners, took a second look at the 1894C .44mag on the shelf, it had New Haven barrel marked REP - rifle seemed okay, no obvious machine marks or noticeable defects - the grain and color of the wood was boring/dull but the checkering looked fine, working the action slowly was gritty/sticky, but cycling it fast seemed fine functionally.

Granted, this is my first lever action, so I don't have much to compare to. At this point, its still wait and see.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
lawstudent
The wood on alot of the new Marlins is dull looking and I think it is basicly their Mar Shield plastic coating. It just seems to cloud the wood more than oil. I disliked the finish on my CBL .357 20" so much that I removed the stock and forearm, stripped 'em and refinished with Tru Oil. Much clearer finish, and I knocked down the sheen with some steel wool.
Good luck with the rifle aquisition.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts