Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any strong feelings pro or con regarding winged front sights?

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
1. They obstruct field of view.

2. Make sure your front sight is tight in the ramp dovetail and wings won't matter.

3. The tiny screws holding on the ramp are marginal to support a hit that would allow the wings to protect the front sight.

4. They are "tacticool".

5. The ones I've seen look nicely made and well finished.

6. Tom Horn didn't use 'em.

7. They look nice on an M14 or AK.

8. They cost $75-$150.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Gee Marlin has been using hooded front sights for decades, I dont like them, but then someone must

I had a Mauser with a winged front sight, worked get for leading critters

Darn sure my Garand's NM front sight is winged too.

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
That's the beauty of having a choice. Everybody is happy.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
A hooded front sight comes from a time when many rifles were carried in saddle scabbards. "Winged" front sights are mostly window dressing on non military rifles but use a rifle in combat and the real "wings" proove their worth.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I chose the Brockman Winged front and rear for my Guide Gun. Quick pick up with the rear peep. Have not had the opportunity to kill anything with it yet but don't foresee any issues. This set up was chosen because of the adjustability. I shoot a wide range of hand loads.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Another winged Brockman sight user here. The wings don't seem to bother my view, but I doubt I would miss them much either, haven't droped my rifle on a rock lately....they are fully adjustable, and I do like that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
FWIW I can tell you from experience that it is no fun having your rifle fall over and the top of the front sight snap off during a hunt/hunting season. I doubt many carry a spare front sight around with them on a hunt.

·
Registered
350 Posts
if my rifle fell over so hard it snapped the front sight I'd be very worried... Mine is low tensile steel and wouldn't snap if I hit it with a hammer (might bend a bit), but seriously other I'd be worried about other damage.

I think winged front sights look crap personally but hooded ones are different, almost of even. So long as the dovetail is tight I don't see the need. Maybe it snags on clothing less?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts