Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,313 Posts
Never heard of it but I will check it out. Do you run it?
I put it on a virtual machine and I do like it better than Ubuntu or Mint.
Note the "Pro" version really only adds desktop layouts to make it look like a MAc or Windows.
You can download all the "professional productivity" apps yourself.

Reactions: GJinNY

·
Administrator
28,988 Posts
Oh, and it has a nifty automatic software updater so you don't have to use the terminal and apt-get

View attachment 861878

Is it open source? Certainly looks good but I'll have to check into it. I've heard good things regarding Ubuntu, so what makes you like Zorin better?

Stability? How secure is it?

·
Super Moderator
12,313 Posts
Reactions: JACKTW

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
No - it has to do with security. That's what worries me - anyone who endured Vista knows what I mean.
I think most of it is load of crap but what do I know ;)
I built a system last year and all I needed was to get a TPM 2.0 module.
That said - I hate 11. I put it on my Surface Pro laptop.
I'm not going to allow my desktop machine to update.
It's unfinished, they've done away with things advanced users need - most of all I loathe and detest what they did with the Start menu.
Worse than when they rolled out Windows 8.
As mentioned it will be "supported" until 2025 and honestly there's probably no good reason for me to upgrade ever.
They'll continue to provide security patches so I'm not concerned.
Microsoft has been due for another Windows ME, Win 8....bust.......maybe Win 11 is it.....I'm waiting it out a few years.

I have heard how much has been stripped out. Not impressed

·
Registered
801 Posts
My next laptop OS will be Ubuntu Linux.

Jack
I keep thinking about that as well. Tired of the Windows crap constantly updating and screwing my computer up! Been awhile since I played with Linux, but carried a 105 average through my Introduction to Linux class when I took it 15 years ago. Professor always tossed an extra point question in, I always did them.

At the time I was doing enough business on my computer that I needed the compatibility of Office and a few other miscellaneous programs. Now it's pretty much just me on it, and not a lot of what I need a computer for goes anywhere I can't print it out. Not to mention a lot of the other goodies in open source have drastically improved over time as well.

Funny, I still miss dos and basic language :)

jd
You'd love Linux!

·
Registered
801 Posts
My next laptop OS will be Ubuntu Linux.

Jack

Had a brief thought that could interest you... In that it's been 15 years since I've done anything with Linux, I'd rather not invest in new computer and load an operating system, that might cause me grief as an inexperienced user. Then I had this fleeting moment of inspiration, and it occurred to me, you can pick up a USED laptop pretty cheap on E-Bay, with Linux installed, to get back into it, play with different versions, test programs and apps. Actually some pretty decent computers there for $100 - $250, most with Mint, an Ubuntu variant installed. In that price range anywhere from 250 GB - 1 TB SSD harddrive, 4 - 16 GB RAM, AMD or Intel processor, assorted processor speeds.

And, if I blow it up, I'm not out a lot!

·
Administrator
28,988 Posts
Had a brief thought that could interest you... In that it's been 15 years since I've done anything with Linux, I'd rather not invest in new computer and load an operating system, that might cause me grief as an inexperienced user. Then I had this fleeting moment of inspiration, and it occurred to me, you can pick up a USED laptop pretty cheap on E-Bay, with Linux installed, to get back into it, play with different versions, test programs and apps. Actually some pretty decent computers there for $100 - $250, most with Mint, an Ubuntu variant installed. In that price range anywhere from 250 GB - 1 TB SSD harddrive, 4 - 16 GB RAM, AMD or Intel processor, assorted processor speeds.

And, if I blow it up, I'm not out a lot!

I have a 6 yr old ASUS 2in1 laptop that I'm contemplating taking it down to DOS and installing Ubuntu. It has a IE core 5 chip which isn't the fastest but should be okay as a back up computer.

My new Dell Inspirion 2in1 laptop is excellent, runs AMD RYZEN 7 / AMD RADEON graphics, super fast but WIN10 which I figure I can run until WIN10 support runs out in 2025. Unless, I don't and would opt doing the Ubuntu install as well. Or the OS bubbajon suggested. I''m just done with anything MS.

Jack

Reactions: rocky1

·
Registered
801 Posts
I have a 6 yr old ASUS 2in1 laptop that I'm contemplating taking it down to DOS and installing Ubuntu. It has a IE core 5 chip which isn't the fastest but should be okay as a back up computer.

My new Dell Inspirion 2in1 laptop is excellent, runs AMD RYZEN 7 / AMD RADEON graphics, super fast but WIN10 which I figure I can run until WIN10 support runs out in 2025. Unless, I don't and would opt doing the Ubuntu install as well. Or the OS bubbajon suggested. I''m just done with anything MS.

Jack

Understood on all counts... When you take the ASUS down, you might contemplate partitioning the hard-drive, and set it up to run multiple operating systems. That would allow you to keep it running on the Ubuntu partition, and test other distributions such as the aforementioned Zorin on a second or third partition. 'Cause as I am sure you are aware, everyone likes somethin different over there on the darkside, mostly because there are that many different distributions. 🤣🤣

·
Registered
801 Posts
Loving Firefox at the moment!! New computer with Linux arrived today, setting it up, and got to Firefox and it asked if I wanted to Sync Bookmarks and History. Piece of cake! Set up so far has been going well, pretty user friendly thus far.

All I can say so far is... Choose your password wisely, it's Linux. If you look at it sideways it asks you to Authenticate!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts