·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
My next laptop OS will be Ubuntu Linux.

Jack

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had to buy new computer and iPad. i use BillPay and they upgraded their system which required the newer version of IOS and Apple quit supporting my version.

·
Super Moderator
6,045 Posts
I'm still using (business related) three "custom built" machines (12 yrs old?) running on Win 7, and there's no way I could afford to move those up the Win 10 machines (much less win 11) .... I would have to buy about $15-20k worth of software upgrades alone, much less the costs of the silly computers. Being close to just retiring and hanging up "the need", I decided to milk those older (working) systems for as long as possible. I did buy a cheap Dell (all in one) Win 10 machine last spring so I could do my deed records research more efficiently, and to browse the internetsuperhighway .... it's deathly slow to work with and takes longer to boot up than my first Pentium 1 (which was fast in their day).

As much as I despise Win 10, they can take the 11 and shove it.

jd

·
Registered
935 Posts
I run Windows 7 Home Professional and have no plans to upgrade as Win7 does everything I need it to do. Security Updates from MS are irrelevant as there are many 3rd party packages that do what MS SU's do and MUCH more. I built my machine myself and am running 16G mem and 3 SSD's, a AMD Vishera @ 3.9Mhz, and a nVidia 1050ti 4g GPU. Until there comes a time when I can't do something I want to do, I'll stick with this rig.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Every time there is a 'new' release of Windows, they replaced the CEO first. Apple is just as bad. HP spent 6 yrs and $Ms to make HPLinux. Changed CEO and project cancelled. Win 10 is junk, is supposed to have sandbox and ability to run linux and Win10, nope. Dumped 2 good win7 towers to 'downsize' for this HP all-in-one that works OK. Surprise, they still sell Win10/pentium computers. New Pentium chip is like 3$.

·
Super Moderator
10,005 Posts
Microsoft was saying that they would draw the line at Gen 6 CPU's which is i5-i7 processors developed in 2016. Also it won't even install on a PC that does not have a "Trusted Platform Module Ver 2.0 or higher". Only laptops come with this (for Bitlocker) and most desktops don't unless you special order one. Also will require 16-32 gig of ram and solid state drives. The real scary part is they said they got rid of any and all screens that are legacy---that means "Start menu", "Control Panel", etc.......any screen that you are familiar with from older Windows. It will be a new "Refreshing Look" as they say.

Reactions: GJinNY and cajun56

·
Super Moderator
10,005 Posts
Just another slap in the face and a hard jab in the ribs from Bill Gates.
I think a planned move to make "Muchos" money by requiring you to buy a new PC. A collaboration with the PC hardware manufacturers (Guess who---mostly Chinese made stuff). So one must ask: How can that be when they claim we have a chip shortage ???? How can they supply enough PC's during a chip shortage ???

Reactions: cajun56

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,316 Posts
I think a planned move to make "Muchos" money by requiring you to buy a new PC. A collaboration with the PC hardware manufacturers (Guess who---mostly Chinese made stuff). So one must ask: How can that be when they claim we have a chip shortage ???? How can they supply enough PC's during a chip shortage ???
No - it has to do with security. That's what worries me - anyone who endured Vista knows what I mean.
I think most of it is load of crap but what do I know ;)
I built a system last year and all I needed was to get a TPM 2.0 module.
That said - I hate 11. I put it on my Surface Pro laptop.
I'm not going to allow my desktop machine to update.
It's unfinished, they've done away with things advanced users need - most of all I loathe and detest what they did with the Start menu.
Worse than when they rolled out Windows 8.
As mentioned it will be "supported" until 2025 and honestly there's probably no good reason for me to upgrade ever.
They'll continue to provide security patches so I'm not concerned.

Reactions: GJinNY
1 - 20 of 33 Posts