Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep getting offers to upgrade, to Windows 10, for free on my HP laptop, which is running Windows 7. I have read The Windows FAQ, and it seems like a good thing. I am wondering if any of the tech savy users have an opinion on this upgrade. I am always suspicious of free offers.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Windows 7 is solid, Windows 10 has had three builds released this month. It is going to be officially available starting 29Jul but, unless you like checking out the latest and greatest stuff and accepting the problems that go with that, I'd recommend waiting a few months.

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
Windows 7 is solid, Windows 10 has had three builds released this month. It is going to be officially available starting 29Jul but, unless you like checking out the latest and greatest stuff and accepting the problems that go with that, I'd recommend waiting a few months.
That is what I am going to do--wait and see.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
I think you have something like a year to accept the free upgrade offer. Hidden costs, software bugs who knows? Since Windows 7 works just fine I'd rather wait and see how Windows 10 pans out for others first.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
I was able to get a legitimate OEM version of Windows 7 before Microsoft took it off the market. A Techie friend of mine was urging me for years to ditch Windows XP and upgrade to Windows 7. I also purchased a newer copy of Microsoft Office for him to install on the new computer system.

Windows 7 is the OS we've been waiting for since the advent of Windows 95. There have been so many problems with Windows over the years and so many hackers able to crack into the OS that I was very frustrated with Microsoft and Windows as a viable OS for us average folks.

In short, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Leave it alone until Microsoft stops supporting Windows 7.

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Here is the golden rule for Microsoft.....never ever buy the upgrade for at least 2 years. They do not quality check the OS completely, just enough to push it to market. They then let all the users test and find all the bugs.

I for one buy the upgrade after about 3 years. At that point, its acceptably stable...but you will have issues. Just remember why Microsoft is releasing 10, 8.1 was a complete disaster, and still is. I use Microsoft 7 Pro, it's solid as a rock now...no need to change.

However one thing to keep in mind....my response is IMHO :egg:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
from what I have been told W10 is supposed to mirror 7 and fix the horrendous 8. I have 8.1 on this new laptop and that os version was just a patch for 8. have a nephew works for MS and when he gets into the tech stuff my eyes roll back in my head, but he said the designer of 8 got canned it was so bad. I have had 8.1 for a month and have leaned kinda how to navigate it. I also have the option to update free to 10 but am shy of that. of course I was happy with my vic 20 and basic.

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
I picked up a new computer about four months ago. It has the Windows 8 OS. The format is what you would expect on a Windows phone. It is a pain in the butt to learn. I'm still trying to figure out how to accomplish certain tasks. I hope windows 10 is different from 8!

I think Microsoft brings in a bunch of youngsters that think the only way they can justify their existence is to radically change things whether the changes enhance functionality or not. Now I'm seeing more and more formatting toward games and social media functionality in the latest OS versions than the traditional business/research/communications functions. I guess someday we will have to compose our documents through Grand Theft Auto!

Heck, I miss XP. I thought XP was great. I held on to it 'til the bitter end.

Now, don't I sound like an old phart resistant to change. :banghead:

T.S.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
I've heard that Widows 10 uses forced updates meaning that when you turn your computer on it will contact Microsoft's website and download and install any updates it finds. I would prefer to do this manually since many of those updates can take a long time to download and install, tying up your computer while you sit and wait.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
I been a windows beta tester since win 95 came out. I am now doing the win 10 testing and so far when problems are found Microsoft are pretty quick in doing updates in fixing it. And concerning the force updates on win 10 it is only on the home user edition. Window 10 Pro and enterprise you can choose when to update. Since all I ever use is the commercial or pro edition of windows over the years (less bell and whistles running in the background) I aint to worry about it.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
I've heard that Widows 10 uses forced updates meaning that when you turn your computer on it will contact Microsoft's website and download and install any updates it finds. I would prefer to do this manually since many of those updates can take a long time to download and install, tying up your computer while you sit and wait.
Yea that is the only thing I dont like.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I will be upgrading on day "1". I recently rebuilt my rig and installed 8.1 pro and have not cared for the interface at all. Not a huge deal for me since I have a work provided machine for work so this is primarily a game machine.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
One good thing since I do run windows 7 pro I will get to upgrade to windows 10 pro so I can control when I want to do the updates.

Reactions: birdshot

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
mjadams61 said:
One good thing since I do run windows 7 pro I will get to upgrade to windows 10 pro so I can control when I want to do the updates.
We have MSDN so I always do the pro or enterprise also. I'm a UNIX guy at work so I don't pay attention so much to the news but I thought 10 was going to be free to the consumer and they were going to charge for updates after a year or some such? Since you're a beta tester, any idea on that.

Reactions: birdshot

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
My Tech guy, who is Certified for most everything Microsoft, encouraged me to move away from Windows XP for security reasons. I kept picking up Malware from what I thought were reliable sites. Even some MP3 music files that I picked off the Internet had Malware attached. My Tech guy told me to NEVER use Windows Explorer, hackers had more ways to get into your computer system through Explorer than you could shake a stick at, it had more holes than Swiss cheese. I guess he got tired of wiping out the hard drive and reinstalling everything on my XP machine. It came down to "Upgrade or else" so I upgraded.

The whole problem I have with "new" MS OS upgrades is that often times they change the user interface for the sake of changing it to appear different. So I had to learn a new User Interface to do the same things I've been doing all along. My computer needs are not demanding, so I have no reason to "upgrade" other than make Bill Gates even richer.

Cheers!

Mike T

·
Super Moderator
6,568 Posts
I will be another 'day-1' guy...once it is officially released. I have been a mac guy for over a decade, and own 1 pc. It came with 8 (was free from work)....but even though it was free...it was not worth it. 8 is horrible, and ai would prefer usuing nearly anything else. Even considered making it into a linux machine, but its been 100 years since ive used linux, and frankly dont want to dust off and reread the library.

If i had 7 I would wait awhile. I have 8.....

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Never ever upgrade ANY M$ product before service pack 1 is released & preferably SP2! I am going to purchase 2 new laptops & 1 new tower in Win 7 to tide me over until maybe win10.5. I still keep an XP machine running because contrary to MS lies not all old software can run properly on Win 7, damn nuisance.

John...
If Microsoft was plumbing it wouldn't pass code!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts