Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swore I`d never own an AR after the military but the prices have dropped considerably and .223 is once again everywhere...The toy store has a few Windhams for under $600 and if someone owns one could ya tell me what ya think..

·
Super Moderator
6,561 Posts
Windham Weaponry are the founders on Bushmaster, which was later sold to Remington/Freedom Group. I am not an AR giy and can not personally vouch, but they have a good reputation among the more affordable AR mfg's.

Reactions: oleroy

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Windham has a LOT better reputation than the current Bushmaster. Yes, they are the old Bushmaster folks before that was moved away by Remington. I have a few Windham barrels, and quite a few parts of their rifles but I do not own a complete Windham rifle. Still, their barrels and parts are very good.

·
Premium Member
8,482 Posts
dont have a windham ar but their revolvers are a best buy for the money....

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Swore I`d never own an AR after the military but the prices have dropped considerably and .223 is once again everywhere...The toy store has a few Windhams for under $600 and if someone owns one could ya tell me what ya think..
I don't own one but I do have a friend who owns two that he bought in that price range ... "Carbon Windhams" or something like that. Very lightweight, I do know that.

I've shot them, they seem fine, they really do.

·
Premium Member
9,845 Posts
I have one of the flattop carbon models and it works great! All US made too! John

·
Registered
931 Posts
Windham rifles are GTG! Well built/great pricing.
Joe

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was a Marine Corps Armorer for 6yrs. I purchased a Windhams AR about 2yrs ago. Great gun and no issues for me too really comment on. Only things I've done were swapping out the factory furniture & customizing it for myself. I've put plenty of rounds down range, different types of ammo, new and old without any issues. No failure to feed, extract or eject. I can honestly say I'm impressed with Windams quality. I'm saving for an AR in 308 & Windams getting my repeat business.

Reactions: DWB and grizbear13

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Good for the money. They are what Bushmaster should be today. For entry level they are as good as it gets. Excellent warranty as well.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I hear you. I had to give up a perfectly good M14 for a Harrington & Richardson M16. In a gunfight, I'd prefer something that didn't need a forward assist.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Im soon to pick up there 20 inch barrel for a old windham made bushmaster. Made in Maine. They have a good rep. up north

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Maide right here in Maine. I have a Windham Weaponry upper that I was able to buy right, then built my own lower. No problems at all. My FFL buddy deals with them regularly and says they are great to deal with.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've had one for a couple years. Its got about 3,000 rounds through it with narry a problem.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
When the owner and founder of Bushmaster decided to retire, he sold the company to Freedom Group. They stayed in Windham for awhile, but then moved away so they could do a better and more thorough job of screwing up Bushmaster.

The factory was empty, and a whole bunch of people in Windham were out of work. By that time, Bushmaster's former owner's non-compete agreement had expired, so he decided "we're gettin' the band back together." He and the old BM employees started a new company with the goal of making rifles that were better than the original Bushmasters.

They seem to have succeeded. I've yet to read or hear anything bad about their rifles. I don't own one (yet), but the ones I have handled in stores have always seemed very well made and "solid."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts