Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend I went shooting with a friend. He has a 1990's Winchester 94 and I was using a 1948 336, both in 30-30 shooting Core-lokt 170gr. When I hit the steel (~150-170 yds) it made a loud ping and swung the target. When he hit it he knocked it off.

Would this be caused by the different rifling techniques effecting the ballistics of the projectile, or was he just landing them just right? I know 1948 was pre-microgroove, so would the deeper cuts by Ballard rifling slow it down a little?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Many things come into play with velocity. Including barrel length, chamber dimensions, possibly the rifling style. Hard to give a concrete answer.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
My guess is he happened to hit it just right, but in general there are a lot of variables that can possibly come into play. Perhaps you just 'loosened it' for him first... :flute:

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
My guess is he happened to hit it just right, but in general there are a lot of variables that can possibly come into play. Perhaps you just 'loosened it' for him first... :flute:
I believe that you loosened up really well as we all know that a JM Marlin is better than a Winny. (Here goes folks, thems fightin words for many).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Your friend just hit the gong a little higher than you did. No two guns will be identical in fps using the same load but it wont be enough to be concerned about.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was my first time shooting a Winchester and to be honest I really like the Marlin better...I like the beefier grip on the Marlin, not to mention how simple it is to take apart the Marlin compared to all the pins and additional parts of a winnie. I'll tell ya what though, I had to bring it back to life with cleaner solution because he hadn't cleaned it in seven years

1 - 9 of 9 Posts