Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with the bulk packs of 12 ga of 7 1/2 and 8's from Wally World? Got a couple buddies (including myself) lookin' into theses for building up the stash and use for target practice. Would be used in 870's, 1100's, 11/87's, 500's and maybe a few others (possibly a few 20 ga shotguns also). Not tryin' to break the bank, but want something reliable and that's gonna go BOOM when it should!

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
I haven’t bought them but many in family have. They use them on tire trap clay pigeons. They seem to work fine. Function through all actions and are dependable. Can’t say anything negative about them. I think they are Federal. Only available in 20 & 12g.

·
Registered
616 Posts
"Never trust a man who rents pigs": Gus, Lonesome Dove

Hey, they're good for cleaning out rattlesnakes if you haven't got your own but know someone who does! LOL

·
Super Moderator
11,609 Posts
I got a bunch of each brand on clearance there in 2018 and 2019. Haven't tried any yet but always good to buy it cheap and stack it deep. With friends you might be able to find a good bulk discount online too.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Estates are cheap Federals. Basically what brings up the prices in shot shells is the quality of bird shot used. The top target shells like Federal Gold Medal or Winchester AA use very hard shot. For back yard trap shooting the cheap ones work fine. For competition trap the top grade shells may make a difference with top shooters but for many will not matter much. AA's are popular with reloaders as are Gold Medal. Estates work great for reloaders out hunting for about one shot where they don't care if a case is lost or not. Some just shootem and leavem which can be frowned upon in some instances. Those shooting autoloaders like them for that.

I have read complaints about Estates maybe burning a bit dirty. Never had an issue with it as I usually shot double barrels. Shot a few ducks with the steel loads. They worked. Winchester has a cheap line of shells that are said to be that way.

DEP
Some claimed the shot sizes were not screened as well as with the brand names

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
I've never had a problem with Estates going "boom". But only several hundred fired.

Never had any shotgun round of any brand fail to fire for that matter... Regardless of age or the ammo.

Reactions: marlinluvr

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I’m not a expert, but I think I shot better than average on the skeet and trap ranges... I personally find little difference in bulk pack lead ammo... I guess I’m not able to shoot well enough to notice the difference.

I usually buy size both 7.5 and 8 largely because it is the two most common inexpensive bulk ammo... I personally tend to use 7.5 for much of the small game hunting and trap shooting... And, I use 8 as an inexpensive skeet load and for dove and quail hunting.

The one thing I would suggest.. pay attention to the amount of shot in each load. In inexpensive bulk 12ga ammo, 1oz and 1-1/8oz are the most common. Often no real difference in cost, but that extra 1/8 of shot in every round can add to the score on the trap or skeet field for the average shooter.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
I don't think you have to worry if you are using the ammo in a pump. It is the auto loaders that can be picky.

Reactions: marlinluvr

·
Registered
739 Posts
I've used both the Winchester & Federal stuff in my O/Unders and pumps when either low or out of my reloads, for both skeet and trap. Never any problems with the stuff. Cant speak for the semi-auto actions though. Like others have stated, I sure wouldn't hesitate to stock up and use the stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts