Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Today I was shooting my 1895 GG at the range in preperations for the mandatory (in Norway) big game test, now I know my gun shoots great with 405 grains lead bullets with GC that I load myself, but as I got 100 rounds of Winchester Super X 300 grain hunting bullets when I purchased my gun it seemed wastful not to use them also. that and expanding bullets are mandatory.

I have changed to skinner sights and had issues adjusting my gun with the Winchester ammo, so I choose to zero with lead and calculate/gestimate adjustements for the winchester bullets. today I noticed that even using support sometimes the Winchester bullets go high and sometimes low, not much side to side change. As I was getting increasingly frustrated with my poor marksmanship, I after a really low shot noticed something sprinkling on my hand during reload. After closer inspection I saw it was gunpowder, fired of 5 more rounds, and sure enough, if the recoil felt alittle hard, the shot went high and no powder when reloading. If it felt to soft, the hit was low and lots of powder fell out during reload.
Now, in total I have shot around 50 of the Winchester cartridges. maybe half for fun and half for trying to get zeroed, and my brain only clicked on the last 10 from a new box. So my problem is that I am not sure if this problem is for all of the Winchester ammo or just one box, as far as i can see I have at least to different batches of ammo.

Anyone here experienced something similiar with the Super X factory loads?

I apologice for my poor writing skills, english is my second language and have been neglected in its writen form for some time, and my dyslexia is not helping.

·
Super Moderator
12,126 Posts
Are those factory loads? If those loads are from the same box and you can feel the difference in recoil from shot to shot then something is wrong. There is always some variation in velocity from shot to shot but generally factory ammo should be consistent. A chronograph would be very helpful here.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have used the WW 300HP ammunition before and it grouped well. If this indeed factory-loaded ammunition then something is wrong. I suggest contacting Winchester and telling them what is happening. Don't shoot any more of that ammunition until Winchester responds to your question. Likely they will ask you to send it to them and you will be reimbursed. You don't need a chronograph.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have some .375 win factory ammo that was very bad. It was the same problem, high, low, and in the middle. I was going to change the scope, but tried some reloads on the next range outing. The problem was not the scope. The reloads came right in. Now I must admit the Win ammo was some of the older stuff, pre silver box. I have 1 more box of that, then 3 boxes in the silver boxes. Will be using reloads to hunt with. Don't know if I'm going to shoot them or just pull them. I reload using the 200 gr sierra pro hunter. My rifle likes those.
Have a great day.
Jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the Winchester loads are factory. Guess I'll be contacting the norwegian seller and sending an email to Winchester.

·
Registered
11,007 Posts
stich Welcome I had no trouble with your writing, of course I too am dyslexic. I have had bad ammo from most all makers, it happens they will usually make good on it

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Yup, you have a bad batch. If you have other boxes with a different date I would try a couple three rounds from each of those boxes and see if you have the same problem. That way if you do you can send all of it back to Winchester. And welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
"What this country needs is a department of common sense! " Where would you find Government Officials qualified to staff such an office? :embarassed:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts