Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I think late 80's early 90's. Don't know about collector value. How many you have?

·
Registered
185 Posts
It is hard to find. I reload, and the price people pay for just the Silvertip 30 cal bullets is very high. I say hang onto it.
Its worth someting now, probably $50-60 .....and will be more in the future , keep the box in excellent condition.

·
Registered
615 Posts
They won't stop a werewolf, the tip is aluminum not actually silver. They are not the same bullet as the Accubond plastic tip silvertip. The silvertips were/are a controled explanation bullet. Mixed results have been reported by some people, myself included. Some people love them. I stopped using silvertips in my 30-30 in the 90s.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
They've been discontinued for some time now. I still have a few rounds in various calibers loaded in factory ammo. I do have five boxes of Silvertips in the .303 Savage. Those are worth some coin.
Paul B.

Reactions: Dallasday

·
Super Moderator
25,658 Posts
I used 170 gr old style silver tips in my Marlin Mod 30AS 30-30 back in the late 1980s/early 1990s. Never had any issue using them--they definitely would slam down the deer back in the day.

·
Premium Member
6,244 Posts
I believe I have a box of the same giving to me by a friend. I think he said someone past and widow gave him a bunch old ammo huband lelt behind, he had no uses for it. I also been holding on to it thinking it might be worth something too.

Reactions: Dallasday

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have a couple of boxes of 150 silver-tips in the cabinet that I picked up on an estate sale a few years back. My daughter's 30-30 likes the 170g power-points so they've just been sitting there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I killed my first 8-point buck with a 30-30 170 grain Silver Tip in 1978; the ammo came packaged in a yellow box featuring a big red "W" as I recall, and was priced at $3.95 a box.
Wouldn't it be great if ammunition was still that price . Had a gun store try sell me their 30-30 in a brand ive never heard of for $70 a box of 20, this was last week. Prices are about $40 over here at the moment which is bad enough.
Wood Publication Shelving Font Tin

·
Registered
452 Posts
For many years Winchester loaded their silvertip bullets in a wide variety of cartridges; I don't know exactly when the company begin promoting their silver tip bullet, but believe it goes back to sometime in the 1930's. I have a 30's vintage partial box of 30/06 silver tips and 10-12 years ago tried one on a Whitetail doe for kicks and giggles; dropped the deer in its tracks. I've always been one to experiment with different loads by different makers; but all the deer I've shot with Winchester silver tip ammo (150 and 70 grain) went down where they stood; and all were complete pass-thrus, so this stuff is quite effective at the ranges I took those deer (50-100 yards). I personally would not be comfortable shooting these flat nose projectiles from a 30/30 Marlin at ranges much in excess of 100 yards.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts