Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I posted on a concealed handgun forum I'm on it Texas about Winchester .22 LR ammo when a guy said they wouldn't fit in his Ruger Wrangler Cylinder. I checked the Win ammo I have and the case diameters are larger than all the other brands I have. CCI, Federal American Eagle, Blue box and Auto Match, Aguilla, Ely match, some old 40 year old Peters, New Rem Thunderbolt, even some 40 year old Winchester Wildcats. All those brands measure smaller than the Win ammo and fit just fine the cylinders. Win Super X and SuperX power point were crap as far as seating fully. I haven't shot any of the new Win in any of the revolvers, but I know I used some in a S&W AR15 .22 with no feed, fire or ejection issues that I recall, so apparently the chamber in that rifle is large enough to not be a problem.

The new Win ammo also seems to taper larger toward the rim. I tried them in all my .22 revolvers and they varied from very tight to would not seat. Two S&W's - Model 17 and 22/32 Airweight Kit gun, 4 Ruger Single Sixes and a Ruger Bear Cat. On the kit gun I couldn't get them out of the cylinder with just hand pressuer on the ejector rod. I had to put the rod on a hard surface and push very hard.

I Googled the problem with not seating in cylinders and a found several others who had the problem.

·
Banned
2,609 Posts
Anything will shoot in a single action revolver or bolt rifle.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
This is why it's important to shoot more and hoard less... I think it's pretty funny to hear people whining about the poor quality of 2012 and 2016 ammo they just opened up here in mid-2022...

About three years ago, I shot through my pre-Obama hoard... It was not pretty. A million partial boxes of this and that... Bulk with dried, flaking wax... Yuck. The kids had a good time burning it up in their bolt actions.

I guess it's time for you guys to switch to Remington golden bullets. ;) ;).

I only had the trouble with chambering on one box of the 45g "Black" subsonics. Everything else ran fine.

I really wish the Australian Winchester 22lr was still available. That stuff was fantastic.

Their 42gr subsonic hp was great stuff too.

·
Banned
2,609 Posts
I can promise my ten year old rimfire is all good and because it's almost all Federal and CCI. Age doesn't bother the mid-level ammo like it does the crap (Winchester and Remington).

21 - 25 of 25 Posts