Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the shooting range yesterday, taking four guns with me, three of which were Marlins. I had my first ever rifle, a Glenfield Model 25 that I got from Coast to Coast for Christmas in 1974, I also had a Marlin Model 60, a recently inherited Marlin Golden 39a (mfg. 1957), and a brand new Ruger LCP II, in .22 lr. I also took my chronograph along, as I was curious about performance out of the short barreled pistol.

I had many different ammo types, Federal bulk 36 grain hp's, Federal Champion 40 grain solids, Federal 40 grain Automatic (cheap bulk), CCI mini mags, HP's and solids, CCI Stingers, Remington Golden Bullets (525 bulk pack), Aquila 40 grain solids, and finally the topic of this post, Winchester bulk pack ammo, and some expensive ($18.99/100) Winchester ammo, Hyper velocity 40 grain hp's in a red plastic tray.

I had zero malfunctions in these guns with everything but the Winchester ammo. With the expensive Winchester ammo, I had three FTF in the first 10 round mag in the Ruger pistol. I tried those same cartridges in the other rifles, where they also failed to ignite. In my other rifles, the Winchester ammo, both the cheap bulk and expensive stuff, failed to fire so many times I lost count. The cheap Winchester "Expert" (36 grain hp's) ammo also jammed repeatedly in all the guns, including the bolt and lever action. When it did fire, velocity spread was so extreme that it was worthless for any use. I'm talking 400fps (800fps-1200fps+) in the same gun. And that was with the $18.99 stuff in the nice plastic tray. I'll never use Winchester rimfire ammo again, completely useless, as it has a 20% chance it might not go off, and if it does who knows at what velocity. Won't even use it squirrel hunting, don't want a click, when I'm expecting a crack. Garbage ammo! Winchester you should be ashamed, and send me a check for the money I wasted on your worthless ammo, of which I have many bulk packs, along with the "good stuff". Literally hundreds of dollars of useless trash.

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
I completely agree with the OP's statement. I bought over 6000 rounds of the 40 gr Winchester Super-X in red plastic trays in 2016. It would not feed in my 39D. It would not chamber in my Smith & Wesson model 17's. In the few pistols that fired this ammo, accuracy was terrible and it was very dirty. I sold all remaining 55 boxes a couple years ago for $10 a box to one guy who said it's his favorite 22 ammo despite me telling him the problems I encountered. A few months later Trump lost the election and I could have gotten over $30 a box.

Trust me, I know this ammo well, and it has forced me to never buy Winchester ammo ever again. For 22 ammo it will be CCI for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Winchester ammo, Hyper velocity 40 grain hp's in a red plastic tray.
I tried Winchester's hyper ammo in my 25N a couple years ago. It was terrible. About every third round would hang up when I pushed the bolt forward. I slowly chambered and ejected four rounds through the action and every bullet was chewed up. It was not the rifle's fault. 50 yard groupings were like five or six inches. I gave away the remaining ammo (85 rounds) right there at the range to a guy who had an AR style 22lr. It fed better in his rifle but still chewed up a little bit. He did have at least one failure to fire in each 10 round mag. His groups were only slightly better.

Reactions: Da Duke

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
my Winchester ammo is all old 555 and 333 bulk
I had a couple boxes of 333 bought in 2014. It wasn't bad, though, it wasn't great either. Good 'nuff for kids shoot'n soup cans at 25yds.

·
Banned
769 Posts
I had a couple boxes of 333 bought in 2014. It wasn't bad, though, it wasn't great either. Good 'nuff for kids shoot'n soup cans at 25yds.
what else do you do with .22's LOL
I have a heavy barreled .243 bolt with a 24x if I want to reach out and touch something as we used to say back in the day

·
Registered
3,451 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't buy any Winchester ammo. Their 22 had too many failures, I tried Winchester 308, out of the 9 rounds I used 2 failed to fire. I filled out a form on the Winchester site and never heard a thing from Winchester. At the same time Winchester had a recall for the wrong powder in their 9mm.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The last time I tried a box of the 333 Winchester rimfire ammo in my Ruger MKIV, I think I spent more time clearing malfunctions than shooting.

It's not even safe to buy a box of good old Winchester White Box 35Rem.

Round on left would not chamber, shoulder is out of whack.
Returned to Winchesters Canadian Rep on their dime and received a full refund.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Winchester 222/333/555 bulk ammo shoots tighter groups than just about any 22lr ammo I’ve tried in my cz 452 ultra lux, 552 speedmaster, and anschutz wood chucker. They will all shoot five shot groups the size of pencil eraser at 50 yards with the stuff. My browning buckmark 5.5 target pistol will shot just as tight at 25 yards with it. The ammo anchors squirrels better then cci stingers with the same shot placement. Send it all to me as it’s my goto 22lr ammo. I’ve bought several boxes of 333’s at Walmart in the last year for $18…and another box of 333’s for $22 yesterday. It all still shoots as tight as the old boxes I have from decades ago. I did buy a 1000 round count box of browning rebranded “333” ammo last year. I did have a few duds that weren’t primed properly. It still stacked 6 in a pencil eraser head sized hole at 60 yards out of my Remington 552 speedmaster with the stuff.

·
Banned
2,609 Posts
WOW Winchester ammo used to be great, luckily my Winchester ammo is all old 555 and 333 bulk I bought in 2012
it was my go to ammo, that and Fed Auto Match is what I was buying and CCI quiets

sorry to here Winchester ammo NOT GOOD ANYMORE
2012 is newer than the one and only Winchester trash 22LR I bought. I never considered the 555 or 333 boxes after the red plastic box of 50 was so bad. My 10/22 looked like I slathered it in WD40 then drug it through a watermelon patch after only 30 rounds.

Reactions: Da Duke

·
Banned
769 Posts
2012 is newer than the one and only Winchester trash 22LR I bought. I never considered the 555 or 333 boxes after the red plastic box of 50 was so bad. My 10/22 looked like I slathered it in WD40 then drug it through a watermelon patch after only 30 rounds.
Strange we shot a few cases of it at the club we bought in 2012, everyone's guns loved it
I shot a few 100 rounds last week 0 bad rounds

·
Super Moderator
4,267 Posts
I had bought one box of 555 several years ago. No FTF’s but I only use it in my Ruger Bearcat for snakes and to scare off stray dogs, critters that get around my chicken‘s and garden at my mountain cabin home. I only use CCI in my 22 WRM’s and 22’s to hunt or target shoot with my scoped rifles. I use Remington golden for tin cans and steel targets.

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
For you guys who don't believe that I bought over 6000 rounds of this deal in 2016. Here's a pic I dug up. Everything on the right got sold for $10 a box, and I was ecstatic over the deal.

Winchester Super X has always treated me good before that large purchase. That's why I bought so much. The Federal Auto Match is decent stuff. Still, CCI performs the best for me in my array of well over a dozen 22's, which are mostly handguns.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,609 Posts
I wouldn't take Super X if given to me.

·
Registered
21,088 Posts
Never really had a problem with most of the 22 lr stuff I’ve bought! Thunder duds are definitely the dirtiest, but 99% of them go bang! At a purchase price of ~ .04 cents a round….it’s gotta be made for a penny! Can’t expect much more at that price point IMO!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts