Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a couple boxes of this ammo to try and noticed that it was not crimped. I went ahead and crimped it. Have any of you experienced this with factory ammo? thought just about all 30-30 ammo from the factory would be crimped. Have any of you shot deer with this ammo and how do you like it?

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
Before I started to reload--shot a doe with a crimped 170 gr Powermax load back in 2012. The doe dropped like a rock after being hit in the base of the neck at 50 yards.

·
Administrator
30,808 Posts
horseshoe, the TP forums are reserved for buying selling and trading, not discussions. Moving this to the 336 forum.

Jack

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
I never had any Powermax, but I like the Win. Power-Point 30-30 150gr.
I got 2 boxes right here, and they're crimped.
I never heard of no 30-30 store-bought ammo that wasn't crimped...
that's odd.
Makes you wonder if it was a mistake.

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
None of the cartridges were crimped, you could run your fingers down the cartridge and feel the edges at the mouth of the case. I crimped them with my Lee crimper and just got back from the range where they shot 3 shots into a inch at 100 yards out of my 16 1/4 inch Glenfield. The handloaded 125 Sierra's shot basically in the same place but 1 inch higher. Thinking back on this I had a box of pwermax 130 gr 270 WSM several years ago that was not crimped. I don't know what kind of powder win uses in the powermax, it kinda looks like WW748 and weighs 32.5 grs on the case I pulled the bullet from. The bullet is 150 grs and a hp with 8 little notches cut into the nose of the bullet but being a bonded bullet it is supposed to retain a lot of wt. I like the way it shoots. I know that all you really need for the 30-30 is a good cup and core bullet but I like to try a different mousetrap every now and then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.