Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A non Marlin Question.
A friend of mine, over the weekend, saw something that I haven't seen or even heard of before. It was a model 71 348 TAKEDOWN.
It had the Winchester magazine takedown just like the 86's but was a 71. We both have owned a couple of 71's, long and short tang's, but has anybody ever hear of one of these in a takedown??? :?:

·
Registered
9 Posts
My George Madis book says, "No takedown models and few extras were offered for the 71."

Probably a good machinist could fit one from a 86 receiver extension or Winchester may have done it in spite of what the book says.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My George Madis book says, "No takedown models and few extras were offered for the 71."

Probably a good machinist could make one from 86 takedown parts or Winchester may have done it in spite of what the book says.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
The last of the 86's look much like a 71, and if fitted with a .348 barrel it could pass for a 71 takedown. I guess a 71 could also be fitted with takedown mechanism form a 86, but that would be far more work.
I'm no expert on 71's, but in my travels I've never seen a takedown.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ya'll,
That's kinda what we thought also. The price on this rifle was $2400.00, we both figured that was a little steep, like maybe double what is was worth...........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ya'll,
That's kinda what we thought also. The price on this rifle was $2400.00, we both figured that was a little steep, like maybe double what is was worth...........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts