Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Very interested in this..maybe some of the bullet testn folks will chime in on this one.. I may have to get a box and see how they do.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Just ordered 4 boxes. From what I understand we won't be seeing any CorLokts other than loaded for a long time.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Just ordered 4 boxes. From what I understand we won't be seeing any CorLokts other than loaded for a long time.

I'm not sure about that. I heard that rumors months and months ago, but since then, I've score a box of 500 200 gr. Corelokts from Midway. Unfortunately, we just have to watch the supply that Midway, Natchez, or (insert name here), and pick up what we can, when we can.

Winny 200 gr. bullets should be pretty much on par with the Corelokts. I haven't used them, but I wouldn't be scared of buying them.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Glad to hear that Pete, was just going on what I have read else where.

·
Premium Member
6,591 Posts
I do not know about those but the Hornady 200 grain Interlocks are usually on the shelf at BassPro when I go there.
So that is what I have been buying as from what I can decifer they are also similar in ballistics to those as well.

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
While I cannot speak for the Winchester power points in 35 specifically, I can state that they have worked very well in the 30-30 and 300 Savage for my daughter and myself. Loading data seems to be for Remington or Hornady but I doubt if they would present any major differences. Sure would not hesitate to buy them for myself if I needed them.

DEP

·
Super Moderator
6,355 Posts
That is the standard bullet in the Winchester 200gr factory load. Never took any game with them, but they shot very well. When I bought my Win BB94 356W, I also picked up 6 boxes of factory ammo and the brass carried over to handloads. I later picked up 4 more boxes. I still have several unopened boxes of factory ammo, and probably 200 rounds of handloads.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
What's up with the .356 diameter? I've loaded over a thousand Sierra and Hornady .358 RN's in my half dozen 35 Rems. Has the Win PP always been .002 undersized?
This a very good point.. Those folks that ordered them, If you will....please let us all know about the diameter when you get your order. :hmmmm: CWT

Reactions: Slugnut

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Looking at my 356 Win 200gr and 250 gr Power Points, both are sharply defined flat nose bullets. Looking at my 35 Remington Power Points, they are pretty much a round nose. So there is a difference. Looking at the Midway product, it appears to be a flat nose. Is there any other design or performance difference, I don't know. I suspect, they are labeled as .356 diameter, because they were originally intended for 356 Win loading. 35 Rem on right, 356 Win on left, different ogive as well.

Ammunition Bullet Gun accessory Glass bottle Caramel color

Reactions: CWT

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Looking at my 356 Win 200gr and 250 gr Power Points, both are sharply defined flat nose bullets. Looking at my 35 Remington Power Points, they are pretty much a round nose. So there is a difference. Looking at the Midway product, it appears to be a flat nose. Is there any other design or performance difference, I don't know. I suspect, they are labeled as .356 diameter, because they were originally intended for 356 Win loading.
GM.. Thats some very good points. Glad you let us know your findings. I was all fired up about these at first..hey they may be fine..I dont know.. someone may clarify that.. but.... It does raise a question in my opinion. :questionmark:

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
CWT, I can't be of any help, because I have not shot any deer with either bullet, so I can't claim to know any on game difference. I just bought the 35 Rem for the cases, I load a different bullet in each cartridge for game. I would think 356 200gr PP FN would feed just fine in a 35 Rem, I use a lot of 180 Speer FP which appear similar in diamentions.

The 356 FP 200gr Power Points I have are .358 diameter measured by caliper.

·
Registered
849 Posts
don't reckon these are .356 diameter; the 356 winchester is a .358 bore. if they were, these might work just peachy in my 9x57 mauser; only bullets fer that are from buffalo arms and they're .356 250 grains and pricey. wouldn't guess winchester'd be makin' 356's, even though they chambered their model 54 fer 9x57, back in the day. mismarked, i reckon; midway ain't immune to stoopid.
mind yer topknots!
windy

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Bringing one out of the archives. These were available back during the bullet and powder scarce several years ago. I purchased some but have not used any on game. If someone has used these on game please post your results on how they performed. Thanks, CWT

Black Darkness Text Orange Font

·
Banned
3,320 Posts
I bought some of those, they closed them out real cheap. they were listed as .356 diameter but they are actually .358. I'm thinking they were intended for 356 winchester ammo, aprox 2150-2400fps, should work great in 35rem maybe even the whelen. I have not shot anything with them yet but I had read they are a very good hunting bullet. Don't really know that much about them. But I did do some searching and winchester gives up very little info on the web. I'm just a real sucker for midway clearance components, put them in the cache till I get done moving.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Goldtrigger..thanks for your reply and info. :tee: I shot some of these in a test I did a few years ago. >> http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/a...aged-35-cal-power-point-356-dia-200gr-fn.html The thing is this.... will they perform "good/expand" at 35 rem velocity (2100fps and under) on game? They did good in my wet phone books.. BUT.. phone books aren't a deer hit in a lung shot but similar I guess as far as density. I will have to say they did leave me with some very impressive mushrooms.. honestly as good as coreloks. Maybe someone will chime in that put some game on the ground with these. I may just have to take them to the woods this fall and find out. :hmmmm:

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Don't overlook Speer bullets. ATK owns Federal, Speer, CCI, and a bunch of other stuff. I have had outstanding accuracy from Federal factory, likely loaded with Speers. No flies on the W or R brands either.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.